Thread: Sekirei

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Sekirei

Quote Originally Posted by ANN
    Alternative title:
    セキレイ (Japanese)

Genres: action, comedy, romance

Themes: Harem

Plot Summary: Minato Sahashi is extremely intelligent, yet due to his inability to cope under pressure has failed the college entrance exam twice. As a result he has been branded an idiot and loser by many. One day after talking to his yet again disappointed mother he comes into contact with a girl named Musubi who was under attack. The girl runs but takes him with her and soon finds that Minato, while unknown to him, is an Ashikabi, one of the mysterious set of masters that have the genetic trait that can become partners with some of the 108 cute girls, buxom women, and bishōnen called "Sekirei". The reason for the partnership allows the Sekirei to use all their power to win in the competition held by the mysterious MBI corporation.
    ANN Encyclopedia, AnimeNfo, AniDB, syoboi

First episode out by Musubi:

[Musubi] Sekirei - 01 (xvid HQ 704x400 AC3).avi

[Musubi] Sekirei - 01 (x264 (HD 1280x720) Vobis).mkv

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I watched the [Ayako-Chihiro] version. Sure, Chihiro sucks, but Ayako is good most of the time. Perfectly watchable, and I didn't notice any overt errors.

I had horribly low expectations for this series since Seven Arc was animating it, and the last thing they did that was 26 eps long was Nanoha StrikerS. If you didn't watch it, it suffered some really bad animation in certain spots. They had done such a great job with Nanoha A's, and StrikerS was just really inconsistent.

I also thought most of the characters here were miscast when I looked over the casting on ANN several weeks ago. It seemed like some VAs should switch roles here and there.

Yet, I was pleasantly surprised with the first episode. Great casting for Hikari/Hibiki (the twins, Hikari being the larger of the two), and while I was a little reluctant about Musubi, it turned out well. Minato still sounds weaker than I expected, even considering he's supposed to be that way.

No overly noticably bad animated sequences, and I did like the way they were able to streamline the content of this episode.

I'll stick with it, and quietly await the appearance of my favorite Sekireis.

Is this another series of hundreds of gorgeous girls wanting to get fucked by the main character, but that main character is too big of an idiot and doesnt do "it"?
    If so, thanks no, enough of that crap >_<

The first ep was decent enough, although I somewhat detest series where only women have special powers and men and either losers controlling them or villains controlling them. It sounds so artificial as a plot and idea. Well, I'll have to see how this turns out.

Awesome user with default custom title NeoCybercoin's Avatar
    Yeah I did enjoy the first episode. I think they left some minor stuff out in the first ep but it's not relevant to the story so I guess that's ok. Minato does sound weak but yeah he is supposed to. I shall watch this and wait for my fav Sekirei to show up.

I found this episode quite enjoyable, partly because it reminded me of the first two fansubbed anime I saw (which subsequently brought me here ). The way they introduced Musubi, especially how it got them kicked out of his house sent off all the AMG sensors in me. (They're even moving in to a bigger, older fashioned place with more god.. err Sekireis).And how can you not think of Fate/Stay Night when they talked about forming a contract and battling out other Sekireis for the Holy Prize?

All in all, it gave this show a very good head start in my books, I'm watching .

I don't know what these guys are doing, picking this up when they're so behind on Ghost Hound, but here it is:
    [Genjo-Subs]_Sekirei_-_01_[576p][ED3A177A].mkv

I definitely had a F/SN flashback pretty much during the entire episode, but it's not as dark/subdued, so I'm okay with it. It's definitely brighter, and I like the animation style for some reason. I'll definitely be watching this one.

FSN, eh? This was too comedic and big boobied for such a similiarity to visit my mind but now that you mention it, some basic elements certainly are the same. Let's hope the similarity goes so far that the dude grows some balls along the way. Now he can barely handle his own imagination, much less the reality.

Now everyone and his brother seems to want in on the Sekirei action...

Sekirei - 01 (H264) - [Titanium]

Sekirei - 01 (1280x720 H264) - [Titanium]

I've never heard of them but they called out Moetaku in their torrent comments

Sekirei - 01 (1280x720 H264) - [Moetaku]

Sekirei - 01 (XviD) - [Genjo]

Genin
    The serie is very.... bouncy. I want to see a few more eps to know if a decent story develops. But it was very.. bouncy

Well, Chihiro still sucks, lots of typos and typesetting erros without the benefit of Ayako's joint efforts. However...Sekirei does not exactly have language intensive dialogue, so it's more than acceptable. It's hard to screw up a translation that simple. I'll stick with them for now frankly because I don't think the other groups will do any better.

At least I have heard of Chihiro, their poor reputation notwithstanding.

At least they are fast.

EDIT:

[Avoiding names for the sake of spoiler avoidance, basis from eps 2]
    The casting really seems hit or miss. Yukana as the drunken Sekirei in purple (right at the beginning when Musubi and Minato were still airborne) is perfect. Sayaka Ohara as Miya is another great choice. Homura is fine, Hitomi Nabatame as Uzume is fine. Aya Endo is another great choice for the Sekirei hidden away with all the TVs. Kana Hanazawa (Sora from Sketchbook, Yuka from Kyouran Kazoku) as Kuu-chan, the loli plant-girl Sekirei, is a good choice too.

But Musubi just sounds a little off. I expected her to be a little cuter sounding, her voice is certainly deeper-toned than I expected. More of my own perception than an actual issue.

However, I have a real problem with Marina Inoue (Kana from Minami-ke, Yoko from Gurren-Lagann) playing the white and black water-using Sekirei towards the end. Her voice doesn't fit the role at all. I could see Kana Ueda (with her Rin from F/SN voice) or Hitomi Nabatame playing her much better (in the style of Kan'u from Ikkitousen, Arcueid from Tsukihime, or April from Coyote Ragtime).

EDIT: I guess Eps 3 answers why Kana Ueda isn't playing one of the main Sekirei from the OP. She's just some minor character...
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 07-18-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: extensive details added

I watched Titanium-subs this time. I can't speak for translation accuracy, but everything flowed quite alright with their subs. No typos or typesetting errors, but this at 14:40 did make me scratch my head:

"Musubi, do you want anything to be done for you with cool people like him?" ....

I find that good subbers also take care to not only time their subs to the natural rhythm and flow of a conversation, but also that the on-screen time corresponds to the length of the phrase displayed. I can imagine that could take a lot of tries to get right, and hence why some groups release so much later. Titanium doesn't quite nail this down, with some long sentences flashing across the screen, while some short ones leave you with nothing to read for a second or two. I have yet to try Chihiro first-hand, but it does sound like Titanium come out better.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was a nice intro. For someone who hasn't read the manga, these episodes did quite well in expanding the Sekirei universe, dropping hints of hidden motives and introducing new characters. And of course, plenty of fanservice.

I imagine that that particular line works far better in Japanese language structure than it does English. The only difference is Chihiro used:

"Musubi-chan also wants to be done that by that kind of person?"

It would work better as a whole if the line was translated into English as "Musubi, do you want anything to be done for you by cool people like him?" This would fit much better with the follow up line from Musubi, "If it is Minato, I don't mind anything being done to me," bringing together the sexual joke. I know the whole thing is wordplay with the to/for making all the difference.

English doesn't need that twisted version of the translation because the dative case can be either "to" or "for," creating the approrpriate misunderstanding.

/language lesson.

Moar seki-boobs!

Agreed. Random poorly translated jokes are merely distractions for the bouncing orbs of delight that make up the bulk of this show. I'm sticking with Titanium, though I may check out Moetaku if they manage to catch up.

The plot points seem a bit canned, but I don't mind that much, I like the stock scary landlady who punishes people with kitchen utensils (that scene was surprisingly hilarious) and who doesn't like the laid back warrior can, or the loli-in-need-of-rescue can, or even the androgynous 'male' hanging around a bunch of suped up females can?

If they mix the fighting and the absurdity well this should turn out to be a pretty entertaining show, if notit could turn out to be another Rosario+Vampire
    Last edited by Yukimura; Tue, 07-22-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Jounin
    There is a proper way to translater Japanese and for it to be a for or to, you have to change, the I forget which, but it's like Te, Ga, Ha, Wo, Etc which is what makes up the Past, Present and Future particles in the Japanese language. You can't just go around saying "Oh, he said this, so it should be this way," in the English Language. So, from my point of view, it's actually correct.

Watching Musubi's episode 3 gave me a better impression than Titanium's work's, but I probably just like their translation style. Ugly, contrasting karaoke fonts though, as well as too many TL notes for my liking .

That landlady is one heck of a kenjutsu practitioner. I'm leaning to think she may be a winged Sekirei, since she also mentioned her deceased husband.