Thread: Images do not show

Images do not show

Recently the Gotwoot website's images are not displaying on my computer. While this is the only site where I've been seeing this problem, I'm pretty sure it's a local problem that is likely linked to me being in China (Great Firewall) or running Vista.

Does anybody know how to restore images or what other possible causes may be? I suspect some sort of auto-blocker didn't like an image and blocked everything from the source. The main annoyance is the links to the "last unread" posts on threads are now missing. I can't see edit buttons either.

This is what I'm seeing:

I can still access some of the links/buttons that had set dimensions such as the control panel, but the images don't load. Interestingly enough the screen shot didn't capture my mouse cursor.

Any help or clarity would be appreciated.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    A few things to try:

1) Empty out your cache and try again
    2) Use a different browser (IE)
    3) Use a different computer
    4) Use a different connection

Try it in that order as well. The further down you go, the more troublesome it is. It might be your Vista too. Python had a problem before that might be related. He had parental control on, and it blocks half the stuff in General Discussion. Those were links though, not pics. Give that a try and see how it goes.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Thanks for your suggestions. The images load using IE, which I am currently using. Emptying the cache didn't fix the problem.

I'd like to continue browsing Gotwoot using Firefox though - should I be reinstalling the browser or are there settings I can adjust somewhere?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Someone else with more technical skills like to help out here? I've had sites that didn't load in FF that did in IE because of some certificate/cookie related stuff, but I haven't found a solution to that. I doubt this will do anything, but you could always try FF in safe mode.

You'll need someone with more than just common knowledge here, sorry.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Fri, 06-06-2008 at 01:06 AM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    usually firefox will do that sort of stuff if you say "block images" on one of the images. The easy way to fix it is probably to back up your bookmarks and blow away your firefox user profile. In XP, that'd be C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox ... but I don't know exactly where the equivalent would be in vista.

Basically, if you've got bookmarks, export them somewhere else, then close firefox, delete that folder, and open firefox again and re-import your bookmarks and redo any custom settings and/or extensions you still want.

This is the "nuke it from orbit" approach, and in my experience I've seen maybe one time ever that it didn't fix whatever was wrong with firefox.

Short version: Images are showing now, Firefox is running, and I'm happy. Thanks for the help! =)

Long version:
    I took comp's suggestion and exported my bookmarks, then googled on how to remove my user profile on Vista. Unfortunately, the page that I referred to said that I needed to delete the profile folders and thus I only deleted two folders in the Local and Roaming folders of my AppData.

After trying to start up Firefox, I got an pop-up error message stating "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system," so I restarted my system but ran into the same problem. Confused, I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox (downloading the 5meg installation file took an hour...) before restarting again.

So I finally did what I should have done to start with, which was google the damn error message -_- and I found out that I needed to delete the profiles.ini file as well since I had nuked my only user profile and didn't copy it / make a backup. That wrapped up the problem and I'm a happy camper now.

For reference:
    Instructions on how to uninstall Firefox and remove a user profile
    This page does not mention the profiles.ini file, so beware.
    Fixing the error message