Page 82 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1776

Thread: What made you smile today?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    That's awesome man. We need more intelligent people becoming doctors and fewer politicians and financiers.
    Actually my home country could use an intelligent politician or two. It has been many years since we last had one, and the country is in ruins.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Actually my home country could use an intelligent politician or two. It has been many years since we last had one, and the country is in ruins.
    intelligent? politician?.... aren't those two mutually exclusive?
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I don't think the issue isn't so much that politicians aren't smart (or perhaps it's that smart people stay clear of politics?), but that politicians aren't looking out for our interests, but their own.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    That's awesome man. We need more intelligent people becoming doctors and fewer politicians and financiers.
    This was my last semester, now the hard part begins, earning a place in U.S.A.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    I imagine your politicians are quite intelligent. The problem is they are also corrupt or have different agendas besides the public good.

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    This was my last semester, now the hard part begins, earning a place in U.S.A.
    So now that you've graduated medical school, do you have a doctor of medicine degree or something else? Either way, it should be easy to get a green card and citizenship if you have such a pedigree and skills. I'd be happy to sponsor your citizenship if needed.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I have a master`s in physical therapy not medicine, I switched a while ago, how would you sponsor me?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Oh ok, same deal though, the US needs more skilled workers so it should be easy to get a work permit and then citizenship. I don't know how the immigration process works, but if it requires a current citizen to vouch for you, I'll do it.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Oh ok, same deal though, the US needs more skilled workers so it should be easy to get a work permit and then citizenship. I don't know how the immigration process works, but if it requires a current citizen to vouch for you, I'll do it.
    I'm pretty sure it's a bit more complicated than "oh I know this guy from an anime forum. He's cool."

My girlfriend is an auditor working for a top-40 company, and she needs to go through a visa renewal process like anyone else. It's entirely possible for her renewal to be declined, and then she'd have to go back to Japan.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a bit more complicated than "oh I know this guy from an anime forum. He's cool."

My girlfriend is an auditor working for a top-40 company, and she needs to go through a visa renewal process like anyone else. It's entirely possible for her renewal to be declined, and then she'd have to go back to Japan.
    Well yeah, but you have to start somewhere (like having a place to stay, someone you know, someone to file the paperwork who's in country). I know I'm probably flippantly committing to more than I understand for someone I hardly know, but sometimes you have to do it and follow through and see where it leads. My sister is an immigration lawyer who helps companies bring people into the US on work permits, so I'd have some help there too.

Well then Ani your sister could tell you it is a truly unnecessarily complicated process, much like almost everything else in this country. The requirements for people who work in medicine or related fields are particularly wonky. Getting sponsorship with a medical degree used to be relatively easy but the laws are a lot more stringent now.

I just can't believe you said we need fewer intelligent people becoming politicians. The lack of intelligent policy makers is the largest problem most countries and America in particular has.

Anyway congrats UC, I had a friend who also did PT who accomplished what you are planning. I had not thought of him in years. I hope it works out.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Yep, I have different paths I can take, my goal right now is to graduate in June, do work interview through Skype with companies that will sponsor, then get a permit to take the PT test, once I pass that I`m in!

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula View Post
    Well then Ani your sister could tell you it is a truly unnecessarily complicated process, much like almost everything else in this country. The requirements for people who work in medicine or related fields are particularly wonky. Getting sponsorship with a medical degree used to be relatively easy but the laws are a lot more stringent now.

I just can't believe you said we need fewer intelligent people becoming politicians. The lack of intelligent policy makers is the largest problem most countries and America in particular has.

Anyway congrats UC, I had a friend who also did PT who accomplished what you are planning. I had not thought of him in years. I hope it works out.
    I used to work for an oil and gas company that brought in engineers from Canada and South America, so I know what a mess the immigration process is, even with a company backing you. Worse is when the company wants to cut ties with you, and they back-date cancellation of immigration papers so you have zero time to get your affairs in order before you have to leave the country (this happened to a buddy of mine). It's no wonder so many people circumvent the immigration process and come in illegally.

Politicians are intelligent people, book smart anyway. Most are lawyers or come from business, etc. They are by most measures very intelligent people. Unfortunately the political process is so corrupted that laws that are passed don't make sense, are convoluted or have too much pork attached, or just don't get passed. Also the political game is such that politicians are more concerned with getting re-elected than with passing laws that actually help.

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    I applied for a job working at an insurance company, and today I learned that they want me to come in to interview. It's pretty sweet, the HR people was very excited (which makes me think they've had trouble filling the position... instant raise). I'm meeting with the owner on Wednesday.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

Good luck!

Gained some alloy wheels today. They're like the SSDs for cars

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Yeah, right. Let's hope the alloy wheels will get you more girls than an SSD inside a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Sorry man, but most alloy wheels are more like a 7200rpm HDD. Forged wheels would be like SSDs.

It's not the wheels, it's the tires. All you need is grip. Steelies work just fine.

I'm talking about the increased handling and lightness as opposed to raw speed which makes me think of SSDs. I'll take 7200rpm as a valid comparison I suppose.

Alloy wheels also add the bling factor.