Page 75 of 89 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1776

Thread: What made you smile today?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enkoujin View Post
    Any particular reason why it warrants a need to share with us?
    Call me maybe?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I've been to juvi prison today. as part of my unpaid internship at a municipal office.
    I'm glad I'm not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z View Post
    I've been to juvi prison today. as part of my unpaid internship at a municipal office.
    I'm glad I'm not there.
    Juvi is bad even in Israel? Kind of surprised. But you're a big guy, I'd think you'd be an alpha in that lion's den.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Blog Entries
    Is DBZ the guy whose face scared off teen girls or was that IFHTT? I remember a post like that...

It was DBZ.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Is DBZ the guy whose face scared off teen girls or was that IFHTT? I remember a post like that...
    DBZ scares them off. TT just creeps them out.

Teen girls don't see TT until it is too late..
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

actually, my style is more 'middle sized fish in a very small pond'. which makes me look large in comparison. I'm not nearly bulk enough to run with shark. so while I'm about ten years older and 20 pounds heavier than most of the kids in prison, that "advantage" is offset by the fact that the kids there have been in more brawls last month than I have been in my life. So, yeah.

besides, with my personality I'd get shanked in my first week there. heck, it's a surprise i wasn't shanked yet.

What made me smile:

Realizing that I wouldn't have to go to work during the snowstorm tomorrow, because I had already put in enough hours for the week as a result of preparation for something else that had fallen through at the last minute.

Got a second dose when I found a snow rake at the first store I tried.

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Nice. What are those subjects in English?

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Academic Writing
    Clinical Practice III
    Paediatric Therapy (Theory and Practice)
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

My cousin who is a college freshman complaining about a 5 pages paper.

I just couldn't stop smiling.

Can't wait till he gets to those Senior thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon View Post
    My cousin who is a college freshman complaining about a 5 pages paper.

I just couldn't stop smiling.

Can't wait till he gets to those Senior thesis.
    I complain about long papers too. It's not that I can't write so many words, but that the number of references required (and hence the number of outside papers I'm supposed to read) increases proportionally with it. All that means more time and effort.

Anything less than 1500 words is okay. The 12 page assignment on earthquakes back in Grade 09 was one of my favourite assignments though. It had the biggest sense of accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I complain about long papers too. It's not that I can't write so many words, but that the number of references required (and hence the number of outside papers I'm supposed to read) increases proportionally with it. All that means more time and effort.

Anything less than 1500 words is okay. The 12 page assignment on earthquakes back in Grade 09 was one of my favourite assignments though. It had the biggest sense of accomplishment.
    You would probably hate my school then.

To graduate, i had to do a 60 pages financial analysis of Apple and find at least 40 credible sources (30 Academic/10 Professional) to back my claims.

I can't say i blame you though, doing research is always the most annoying part of writing any paper.

In my two health-related degrees, I don't think I've had to write anything more than 1500 words. Keeping it concise is actually our main concern, because by the time we've written what we want to write after the research, we were outside of the +/-10% leeway for the word limit.

Thankfully in my engineering course i don't have to write papers - we are usually just doing calculations on measurements done by us.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    In my two health-related degrees, I don't think I've had to write anything more than 1500 words. Keeping it concise is actually our main concern, because by the time we've written what we want to write after the research, we were outside of the +/-10% leeway for the word limit.
    In my country, we are expected to be able to write as well as count/memorize/theorize/philosophize, so we have to take 2-3 courses with a writing focus. The classes are typically in your own field/degree plan but require you to learn how to research, write, cite, and express your ideas in text. I think it makes you a more well-rounded student. 'Mericuh!

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Xelbair View Post
    Thankfully in my engineering course i don't have to write papers - we are usually just doing calculations on measurements done by us.
    I had to write a 40-50 page report detailing our final project, a capstone sort of thing.

Also, as Ani pointed out, most US universities demand a well-rounded curricula to graduate. I wrote at least one 12-page paper a semester for one class or another.

Thanks to junior-high/middle school and high school, I can bang out 5-paragraph persuasive essays like no tomorrow. Helped in college, where I usually had to write 3 in under an hour for my literature/philosophy electives during exams.

In body citations make research and references in a paper a joke these days. When I started doing research papers in my last years of junior high, they were still making us do footnotes.

edit:
    Being able to write large quantities of text and convey oneself well is a vital skill. It makes it trivially easy to coerce someone into agreeing with you.

Of course, that only works when they actually read it, not just skim it.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Thu, 05-02-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    The classes are typically in your own field/degree plan but require you to learn how to research, write, cite, and express your ideas in text. I think it makes you a more well-rounded student. 'Mericuh!
    To Australians this is a general skill that doesn't need to be taught at university.

We're not incompetent. We're lazy. (goes for the markers who would have to read 500x12pages as well)