Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Book: Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter

Book: Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter

I constantly talk about this series on IRC with Yuki, and Budweineken got interested, so I thought I'd make a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter is a series of erotic fantasy novels by Laurell K. Hamilton, narrated by the title character, Anita Blake. Anita lives in a fictional Saint Louis much like our own, save that, not only are things like vampires and shapeshifters real, but everyone knows that they're real and they are considered citizens of America, much like normal humans. The novels follow Anita's ongoing conflicts with the supernatural as she attempts to solve a variety of supernatural mysteries, come to terms with her own abilities, and navigate an increasingly complex series of romantic and political relationships.
    ebooks: http://www.sendspace.com/file/aurvtd
    to open ebooks: http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/pc.mspx
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I think I'll pick this up. I've got a thing for vampire media these days. This book tab is a nice edition. I can look for book recommendations now as well as anime.

edit:
    My library's getting some weird results. Apparently there's two series.

Series 1 includes: Micah, Death of a darklord.

Series 2 includes: the laughing corpse, circus of the damned, bloody bones....

Which is it? Both by Hamilton.

If relevant, one's cataloged as Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter (2), and the other's An Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter Novel (1)
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 04-10-2008 at 08:42 AM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Micah is really Anita Blake book 13 but for some reason it wasn't marketed as such. It could be because it's not much of a novel and is more like a side story novella that sheds some light on Anita's relationship with the titular character without advancing the main story all that much. Death of a Darklord has nothing to do with the Anita Blake series and is one of LKH's previous works.

The proper order of Anita Blake Series Books is:
    Guilty Pleasures
    The Laughing Corpse
    Circus of the Damned
    The Lunatic Café
    Bloody Bones
    The Killing Dance
    Burnt Offerings
    Blue Moon
    Obsidian Butterfly <<<--- My personal favorite
    Narcissus in Chains <<<---Turning point of the series
    Cerulean Sins
    Incubus Dreams <<<--- LHK: "Shark, this is me jumping you"
    Micah
    Danse Macabre
    The Harelequin
    Blood Noir (out May 27th 2008)

Personal Reflections
    While I have read all the books and have no intention of not reading new books in the series the author has killed much of my respect for her and her abilities as a story teller with the more recent books in this series. For the first half of the series the central theme of each book is a problem that the main character must solve and details abound about her personal experiences and issues she deals with as she goes about trying to solve the problem. I should also add that she's generally out of her league during this time

However, Starting with Narcissus in Chains the main characters personal issues begin to eclipse the actual problems the plot poses in terms of importance and story focus. With this the novels turn from suspenseful mysteries with dark themes and sensual undertones into darkly themed romances with sexual overtones and a mystery/antagonist tossed in just to give the characters a reason to interact.

If you aren't attached to the characters by the time you get to this point I think it would be hard to keep going with the series.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Thu, 04-10-2008 at 10:38 AM.

I actually have a podcast review of the series somewhere, but my friend is editing music into it. XD
    So far I've read about the first ten books of the series, and my opinions differ from Yuki's a little, but we still generally agree on the overall quality of the series.

I've read:
    Guilty Pleasures; The Laughing Corpse; Circus of the Damned; The Lunatic Caf&#233;; Bloody Bones; The Killing Dance; Burnt Offerings; Blue Moon; Obsidian Butterfly; Narcissus in Chains

[[Book one to book six~seven are a bland tie of personal faves for me lol]]

This might seem a lot, as the books are some 200-500 (?) pages each, but the series is damn addicting. I think I read it all during the break. The initial humor and wit of Anita Blake as a character is great, especially when she is thrown into situations that she never asks for. Each character has their own distinctive, well written voice which enables each reader to have a personal opinion of each character, even different from perhaps Anita's opinion. In my opinion the tone and plot series started to change in book 8, Blue Moon. The emphasis of certain characters, the personality of many characters, and belief systems, values and generally the world begins to change at this point. However, among fans, the undisputed turning point of the series is book 10. I personally don't like the change of logic, values, and plot of the characters, but many people do like it. It all depends on your preferences. One thing is for sure, though. Though LKH (Laurell K. Hamilton) basically transforms the series, she does it well, and she does it well enough that we're still able to hate and even love certain characters. The characters (who still stay in the series) may change, but they still have personalities (even though they may completely suck), so that's what makes the latter half of the series worth discussing IMO

Oh I think the books will always be worth discussing. LKH doesn't tell effective stories so much anymore, but she can still describe her characters and their feelings well. The feelings and thoughts of some of the people in the books are really interesting, even if they are filtered through the twisted mind of the main character. Plus we can always hold out hope that in one book a character will manage to surprise us.

Perhaps this is possible, if LKH manages to realize the real concerns of her readers. It's hilarious how you called it a 'twisted mind'. The sad thing is that in the first chapter of Blood Noir it is not only ridiculously different from the first chapter of Guilty Pleasures, but the "feel" of desire and admiration that I felt from the characters to Anita surpasses even MG. >_> (Merry Gentry series) Jason's situation seemed mildly interesting, but the end result seemed predictable and Mary Sue-ish..

By the way for people who haven't read this yet - My sig is a quote from book 1 - Guilty Pleasures. Yaay! (Or was it book 6? )

Apologies if this is a bit off-topic, more of a recommendation for the readers of this series:

Really just tossing this out there, but if you like a series like this, you might want to check out novels by Kim Harrison and Kelley Armstrong. Both have very similar premises and settings, both with different takes on the "mythology" of this.

Several reviewers of both authors have references to LKH, though I just stumbled upon them randomly in the bookstore, but it might be worth checking out. Books are in order in the parentheses.

Kim Harrison (Dead Witch Walking, The Good the Bad and the Undead, Every Which Way but Dead, A Fistful of Charms, For a Few Demons More, The Outlaw Demon Wails).
    - Takes place in an alternate Cincinnati where common knowledge of vampires, werewolves, witches, and host of other races are present (sound familiar already?). The difference being that a genetically engineered tomato wiped out the majority of the humans in the world, so there was no more reason to be living in secret. Now humans are forced to share the world with the other races, called Inderlanders, but segregation is prominent, and tensions do arise from time to time. The story follows Rachel Morgan, a witch who works for Inderland Security, the firm that rose to replace the police during The Turn (the plague that killed much of the human race). It doesn't stay that way for too long.

Kim Harrison's books keep much of the same conventions we've always known, vampires die in sunlight, vampirism is infectious, etc, but manages to make it work and explains many of the reasons why humanity would have never noticed them before while they lived among them. Written in first person.

Kelley Armstrong (Bitten, Stolen, Dime Store Magic, Industrial Magic, Haunted, Broken, No Humans Involved, Personal Demon)
    - Takes place in our reality (or close enough to it). The series arches over many different heroines, starting with werewolves and moving to witches, ghosts, necromancers, and half-demons. Vampires are present too, but no book stars one just yet. Under the premise that humanity has no idea that the other species exist, they remain in secret. This series breaks some of the standard conventions, like werewolves needing to or forcibly transforming under the light of the full moon among others. I really liked the more "realistic" approach she takes with a lot of the old myths. Written in first person again, but what I think really sets her apart is the tone of her novels totally changes under each of the different protagonists. Each one has a different set of values, a way to look at the world, a very different narrative voice, and yes, in the tradition of LKH, a different viewpoint on sex (starts with werewolves...take a guess).

If you have a chance, try them out, they are very much in the vein of LKH and both good sets of novels. Kim Harrison's novels are a bit more of a "guilty pleasure" (see what I did there?) but Kelley Armstrong's different approach is a really good one if you start from the beginning and she's far and away one of my favorite authors now.

Bahah! I know Yuki knows about Kim Harrison, and I was meaning to check her out sooner or later. I downloaded a CRAPLOAD of ebooks and I know I have both of their stuff.

In vein of 'related series' I'll bring up anything by Karen Marie Moning. Her stuff is awesome, and ACTUALLY manages to get better and better each time. For example a review of an audio version of a book from her first book in the fever series:

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    MacKayla Lane searches for her sister's murderer in Ireland. Her only the clue is the Sinsar Dubh, a magical book. When MacKayla meets Jericho Barrons, a man with magical powers, she discovers she can sense the Faeries and other unworldly, scary creatures, including a Faerie prince who ignites her libido with some potentially offensive sex scenes. Joyce Bean captures the beauty, fear, and otherworldliness of Moning's characters. Bean portrays Mac as plucky and self-sufficient and Barrons as all-knowing and powerful. Moning's explicit sex scenes rival those of Laurell K. Hamilton's Meredith Gentry (Faerie) series. While Mac searches for her sister's killer and her heritage as a seer, Barrons takes her on an adventure among the Faeries and other creatures of the night.
    *reads*

Okay LOL I am completely shocked that I saw the LKH was mentioned in that review. Whoever wrote that is wrong because there is no sex in that particular book, though Moning is a master of erotica (better than LKH). Anyway, guess I'm not the only one who thinks the novels are sort of on the same vein. XD If you decide on reading Karen Marie Moning, I suggest you start at Kiss of the Highlander and then go~

5. The Dark Highlander (2002) - One of the best
    6. The Immortal Highlander (2004)
    7. Spell of the Highlander (2005)

Fever Series

1. Darkfever (Oct. 2006)
    2. Bloodfever (Oct. 2007) - One of the best
    3. Faefever (2008) - Comes out the day after my birthday <333333

~I hear the ones before that are awesome, but they are only loosely related. Everything gets tied together from Kiss on. Each novel is narrated by a separate female protagonist, with completeeeely different stories in chronological order, but live in the same world so the stories are tied. In the fever series, which is reviewed above, it is from the point of view of the same person, and consecutive in story though in the same universe as the previous novels if that makes sense lol.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Thu, 04-10-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Yeah, I've read most of the books by the authors you mentioned Ryl. I spent pretty much all of my college reading time on the urban fantasy/magic/kick butt heroine series where Kim and Kelly are pretty settled. However after recently finishing Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series I've started to realize that I'm growing tired of so called kick butt heroines. I just can't find much variety among them anymore. If you know of any authors whose heroines don't have to deal with nagging fear or self-doubt or other 'weak' emotions that they always need a relationship with a male character to get them through I would love to read them.

In addition to Harrison and Armstrong I've also read: Patricia Briggs, Carrie Vaughn, Karen Chance (NOT RECOMMENDED), Michelle Sagara (NOT RECOMMENDED), and recently Kate Daniels. Except for Harrison's series there is always a recurrent theme that the heroine has to get 'rescued' in some way by a romantic interest, either potential or realized.

Unfortunately Harrison's main characters Rachel and Ivy getting too annoying because of their rampant indecisiveness (until the end of For a Few Demons More at least) and the story of my favorite Woman of the Otherworld, Eve, seems to be finished. I still haven't gotten a chance to read No Humans Allowed or Personal Demon yet but I was never all that into Jamie, but it should be out in paperback soon so I'll probably pick it up anyway just to see if she develops into something more than what she's been in the other books.

Something that really bugs me though is that I think both of the authors Ryl recommended are superior story tellers to LKH in the genre, as their books actually involve some risk and danger, however because of her Legion fanbase LKH is often still viewed as the God-Emporer of the genre by on lookers.

Yuki~~ Read Kiss of the Highlander or Darkfever~ =3

The gist of the fever series is it is about a girl who's sister is murdered, and right before she is murdered she leaves her sister a message. This message is like "OMG SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING" and Mac, the girl interprets this as a cry for help or something (I don't remember well). So she goes to Scotland (or was it Ireland) to go solve who murdered her sister, but she doesn't know she can see Fae, so she walks around staring at all the mystically hot guys until someone slaps her for risking her own slavery and/or death. The male in the series pretty much hates her, (think Kaze no Stigma) and is not adverse to exposing evil faery merchandise to her while she throws up and faints in pain. XD Also she has to learn how to fight, and she has a real strong personality, but she's by no means all powerful. She gets her ass kicked. It rocks.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Fri, 04-11-2008 at 01:18 PM.

DISCLAIMER: I realize this topic has...strayed and that it is entirely my fault, but these books are still all in the same sub-genre and vein, vampires and female protagonists and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    Yeah, I've read most of the books by the authors you mentioned Ryl. I spent pretty much all of my college reading time on the urban fantasy/magic/kick butt heroine series where Kim and Kelly are pretty settled. However after recently finishing Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series I've started to realize that I'm growing tired of so called kick butt heroines. I just can't find much variety among them anymore. If you know of any authors whose heroines don't have to deal with nagging fear or self-doubt or other 'weak' emotions that they always need a relationship with a male character to get them through I would love to read them.

Unfortunately Harrison's main characters Rachel and Ivy getting too annoying because of their rampant indecisiveness (until the end of For a Few Demons More at least) and the story of my favorite Woman of the Otherworld, Eve, seems to be finished. I still haven't gotten a chance to read No Humans Allowed or Personal Demon yet but I was never all that into Jamie, but it should be out in paperback soon so I'll probably pick it up anyway just to see if she develops into something more than what she's been in the other books.

Something that really bugs me though is that I think both of the authors Ryl recommended are superior story tellers to LKH in the genre, as their books actually involve some risk and danger, however because of her Legion fanbase LKH is often still viewed as the God-Emporer of the genre by on lookers.
    I guess I'll cover these in reverse order.

Sure, LKH definitely has the most vocal fanbase, but you'll always find plenty of people all too happy to admit her books are not that great. Like employees at Borders. Needless to say, those honest admissions have largely kept me away from her novels.

I'm waiting for Personal Demon to come out on paperback (and in part because I really didn't give two shits about the character when she appears in No Humans Involved), but I felt the same way as you did about No Humans Involved. Jamie always came off somewhat annoying and weak and all those things. But the novel really surprised me. Armstrong manages to cover a lot of the things you never really expected to be going on in Jamie's head, especially after some of the parts in Broken. Jamie was written as coming off fairly vapid in the other books, but not only does Armstrong have Jamie admit that in the novel, she proves it wrong. It covers a lot of the problems you voiced about the heroines of these kinds of books. No Humans Involved added a lot to my opinion of Jamie. I was kind of hoping for a Savannah book, but that might not happen before her books run out of ideas (which is partly why she wrote an assassin novel, which was good, but not great.)

You might want to try out the Noble Dead series by Barb and J.C. Hendee (Dhampir, Theif of Lives, Sister of the Dead, Traitor to the Blood, Rebel Fey, and a sixth one out in hardcover, Child of a Dead God).
    - Set in a fairly medieval/renaissance period with a bit of the fantasy realm tossed in there (elves and such). Follows Maigere, a (fake) vampire hunter who ends up having to do the real thing and finds out that she is also a dhampir, the vampire half-blood. Along with her is a drunkard half-elf, and his strange looking wolf-dog. The saga just goes way outward from there. Here the heroine is definitely taking the lead and certainly the most powerful, she's more often than not the one doing the rescuing, but...everyone in the series all has their own issues. Each one has doubts about where they came from, what they are doing with their life. It can actually get a little depressing at times, but its not necessarily a bad shift from the "purportedly strong female lead needs saving anyway." They're not the greatest books I've read, but they just might be the shift in the archetype you're looking for.

The added bonus to these is that the villains of the series are just as equally developed and fleshed out as the main characters. The first novel actually does an amazing job at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    DISCLAIMER: I realize this topic has...strayed and that it is entirely my fault, but these books are still all in the same sub-genre and vein, vampires and female protagonists and whatnot.
    Well, there's little discussion in this forum... so whatever increases that books discussion should be fine, I'd say. But it's minor off-topic...

Maybe we should create some Theme related book threads (KitKat's idea)... what do you guys think? Seeing how you guys are involved talking about the Vampire genre, it seems like a good idea to me.

I think that might be more advantageous than going with single books, authors or series. It would enable those interested to find more books and authors of a specific sub-genre, and it has a much better chance of promoting some discussion.

I say sure in the future, but we got a really good discussion going on now unless you want to move all these posts to another thread. (Though I can't imagine an accurate title for another thread)

Perhaps rename this thread to:

"Erotic to semierotic supernatural novels with female protagonists"
    (this ain't vampire genre /DEATH)

Because that's what we're specifically talking about. XD (or you could leave it alone)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu

Sure, LKH definitely has the most vocal fanbase, but you'll always find plenty of people all too happy to admit her books are not that great. Like employees at Borders. Needless to say, those honest admissions have largely kept me away from her novels.
    True, but the first 8 books are definitely worth reading. XD

-

Ryl: Have you read the Merry Gentry series by LKH (This has somehow not been ruined by her yet)? I'm going to read the Noble dead series beceause it reminds me of the drunken guy in MG. Hahha. Drunken half elves FTW
    Last edited by Sapphire; Fri, 04-11-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    Ryl: Have you read the Merry Gentry series?
    Nope. But sadly, work has not left me all that much time to read anymore. Something I have to change.

The good thing about Merry Gentry is the sex is introduced at the beginning, so you already know what to expect when you first read the series. Also the characters are AWESOME. It's hard to believe in that aspect it is by LKH, though you can sense poutyness in one character, at least the entire series isn't ridden with poutyness like AB. XD

Andais FTW

Actually I like how the characters change their mind in LKH stuff. For example AB was like "I ain't never dating no bloodsucker!" and now she has sex with a vampire every day, and MG at first was like "Man, good thing I don't love any of these people I have sex with" and now she is getting married to like 8 babies daddies who she is deeply in love with. (ROFL)

Actually that is very hypocritical and most time the series turns out for the worst, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

PS - Funny how this is called Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter when she doesn't even hunt vampires anymore. I bet not even LKH knew how much she would mess up her series.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Fri, 04-11-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Lol Ryl I guess I should have listed everything I've read not just the urban fantasies with heroines.

I picked up Dhampir a while ago and I'm currently reading Rebel Fay as it just came out in paperback (I only buy paperbacks). However my melancholy towards heroines even extends to Magiere, who, despite her physical and emotional strength and patent refusal to act like a damsel at any time is starting to follow the same path. I respected her a lot in Dhampir and Thief of Lives, but ever since she and the other characters started dealing with their pasts and their personal issues I've slowly been losing interest as their becoming more and more psychologically brittle. I've always though Leesil was pretty awesome but the end of Traitor to the Blood had me a bit less enthusiastic.

Your comments about No Humans Allowed have rekindled my interest in reading it. I've always liked the world of Women of the Otherworld even though they tended to have weak magic except for Eve, Savannah, and Elena. I wasn't too keen on Jamie though thanks to what you mentioned, but I guess that's why she got her own book.

I had no idea anyone else on this forum actually read any of the kinds of books I liked. <3 you Ryllharu and Sapphi.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Fri, 04-11-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Which book should I read after I finish Noble Dead series?

I would read Kelly Armstrong's first book (Bitten I believe) if you're in the mood for magic and mystery with some romance tastefully tossed in. It's about a werewolf not a vamp but Armstrong weaves a nice modern world populated by werewolves, vampires, witches, wizards, and half-demons all with strengths and weaknesses and internal political struggles.

Read Kim Harrison's first book (Dead Witch Walking?) if you're in the mood for magic and a higher butts kicked per page ratio but with somewhat more angst and less romance. Both series are good but I like Armstrong's better because of her world building.

On a personal note I'd really like a second opinion on Michelle Sagara's first book (Cast in Somethings -or-other) and Karen Chance's first book (Touch the Dark) . I hated them both at the end but I don't feel comfortable hating a book because I like so much so I would like it if someone could point out why both books turned into series.

And one more kick butt heroine series I found recently that i'm on the fence about but might be enjoyable is the Signs of the Zodiac series by Vicki Peterson. The main char is the only ever child of an agent of Darkness and an Agent of Light and of course her choice of which side she'll fall into will pretty much save or destroy the world. It's kindof interesting, but i picked it up when I'd already started going jaded so I'm not sure how objective my assessment is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    Your comments about No Humans Allowed have rekindled my interest in reading it. I've always liked the world of Women of the Otherworld even though they tended to have weak magic except for Eve, Savannah, and Elena. I wasn't too keen on Jamie though thanks to what you mentioned, but I guess that's why she got her own book.
    I actually started with Dime Store Magic. It's the book that caught my eye in the bookstore first (it had just come out and was prominently displayed). Up until about Haunted, you could pretty much start the books with either Elena or Paige (Bitten or Dime Store Magic). They operated fairly separately, and Armstrong put in enough recap to make it work. Having two very different heroines with respective viewpoints didn't hurt either. Paige wasn't around for most of the action in Stolen, so hearing about those events in a flashback was heresay, just like Paige knew about them.

As for Eve and Savannah, they are very special cases due to their parentage. That's what I liked about Paige. She was simple and definitely less powerful than most of the other people she knew. But she still desperately wanted to do the right things anyway. It's the same with Jamie too.

The two of them are less of the "kick butt" heroines and more of the "kinda kick butt" heroines. I thought it made them more interesting. Sure, a superhero can blast a villain clear off the face of the earth, but how would a more "normal" person deal with that same villain?