Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Book: Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter

Long time no speak, glyphes!

I read one or two books of Dante Valentine. The first book was fucking AWESOME; because it ended just terribly. I mean the devil owns her, practically just beats the shit out of her and her dead best friends daughter/legacy just happily leaves with him while Dante is writhing on the ground in pain. It was just devastatingly awesome. Oh and the fact that her lover died. I am just like shivering at how much of an awesomely devastating ending that was.

I loved how she went into hell and everything was just... off. And the devil would just read her mind and get absolutely anything he wanted. How there were 'laws' in hell and even he was restricted from leaving and getting the job done himself.

And then the ex-boyfriend comes along, doddles around, and oh look, CONVENIENTLY dies as soon as Japh gets revived. WHAT? I was also annoyed at the fact that Dante was now soooooo beautiful and powerful. The only thing that kept me reading it was how damaged she was on the inside. But since I was just reminded at how devastatingly sad (awesome) the first book ended I think I will totally pick this series up again.

11 days until the next Hollows book is out. Oh yes. FUCK YES!!!
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l9cnp8

White Witch Black Curse - The Hollows book 7

I read the first book of the Anita Blake series, Guilty Pleasures, and I must say that it's quite intriguing. The concept of having vampires and other monsters intermingle with the human society is quite refreshing from all the other ancient history books that I've read (any Shakespeare plays, for example). The characters are good, though I wish to delve deeper into their history, and the plot contains a lot of action. I will probably continue this series as time progresses, as well as the Hollows series that's being aforementioned.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Hey Nadouku, how far along are you now?

Well, Anita Blake series just took a weird turn around Narcissus in Chains with its overly sexual themes and mostly character interactions. It's nice to see some character development happening, however, I feel that the antagonist were just thrown in there to give the plot a moment of advancement. They just feel... out of place.

As for the Hollows series, I'm half-way done with Every Which Way But Dead. I like the characters presented in this story, too, and the plot of the two earlier books kept me interested. Similiar to Anita Blake's setting, but a little more dark. I get that vibe.
    Last edited by Nadouku; Thu, 04-09-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Changed context of post.

@Nadouku: There was character development in NiC?! I dropped that book the minute she decided to have sex with some random guy she just met instead of saving her friend. (A rapid turn for the worse, since in the first book she immediately went out to save her friend).

Her bitching about who to sleep next to for several pages was also a huge turnoff. Also the way she didn't even bother with people who needed and loved her; dismissing them without a second thought.

Oh no, there were no development in Narcissus in Chains. I think I was referring to earlier books, but I kind of worded that weird.

Regardless, I finished the Anita Blake series for now. I was surprised at how the series turned out to be. It initially went from hunting down bad monsters to "lets have sex!" I guess re-reading the beginning few books should give me a good ol' boost to the series that hooked me on, not off. I'm at the White Witch, Black Curse for the Hollow series, but I gotta say, I'm kind of glad you recommend me these books, Sapphire. They are good read!

OMG - Okay, I am on the latest Hollows book, but I can't get myself interested in it. If there are demons in the latest book, let me know. Yuki says Jenks is the reason he keeps going back to the Hollows books but the only reason I read is for the demons. They are crazy, sexy, awesome, and EVERYTHING!! So let me know if there are demons in the latest book.. because I can't seem to get into it!

DEMONS (newt > minaes > al) > KISTEN > RANDOM WITCH GUY > NICK > IVY.... HOOK UP WITH A DEMON, RACH!!!!

Nick is such a pussy. It's awesome. Ivy is too emo. She's like ....Anita OH GOD

I heard there is no sex in the latest Anita Blake book "Skin Trade". Ha ha ha, what?! Well I think Hamilton has already dug herself a bottomless pit of horrible writing anyway. I can't even read her books anymore without critisizing the bad logic of the main character. Have you read any of the Merry Gentry books? I actually enjoyed the first five books or so of that.

Dante Valentine series is also good, but I got pissed off by the end of the second book so I haven't bothered really with the third one yet.. The first book is amazing though.

Yuki - Does Valentines friend's daughter show up in the third book?
    Last edited by Sapphire; Wed, 05-20-2009 at 08:54 AM.

After finishing Outlaw Demon I am much more into the demons and the world they live in and how they and it work. One of the big draws for series like this for me is the world building. The explanation of what the Ever After is as well as the implications of Rachel's genetic tomfoolery and her connection with the Gargoyle all helped rekindle my interest in the world of the Hollows. At the same time I feel like I'm kind of over the vampires in this series. Ivy is kind of cute in how she tries to fight her urges but the tension was just getting annoying. And then of course right when it gets released Rachel finally grows some sense and reneges. I pity any man (or woman) stupid enough to ever bee in a relationship with her. She is crazy and I am with Sapphi on this, she needs a nice demon mate, he'd be less likely to put up with her bullshit and would just smack her around mentally.

As to the Danny Valentine series I only explicitly remember the daughter playing any role in the final book. She might have been in the fourth or even the third but I don't remember well enough to say she definitely was or wasn't.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Wed, 05-20-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Laurell K. Hamilton's newest Anita Blake book, Sex Trade, I mean Skin Trade, is now out on torrents!

THERE'S GOING TO BE AN ANITA BLAKE TV SHOW - HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA LOLOLOL HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! HA!!!!

http://www.scifiguy.ca/2008/06/fanta...ake-pilot.html

Hey, I might actually watch this. If they do it right, it could be a nice cheesy vampire hunter show to watch when there is nothing to watch. Kinda like Buffy or Angel or more recently Blade: The Series and Moonlight. There really isn't anything to fill that niche.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Hmm, I guess I could watch the beginning part of the series before I drop it when it becomes sexually deviant. Right now, I'm just reading Skin Trade for all it's worth.
    Last edited by Nadouku; Sat, 08-22-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Changed a few things around.

I'm about a third of the way through Skin Trade now and something that has been nagging me for the last few books has finally clicked and seems painfully obvious now. Ever since the character assassination of Dolph the portrayal of men (and women) not in Anita's harem or in awe of her majesty has been getting progressively worse to the point where I can't suspend my disbelief any longer. It seems so obvious now that LKH is purposefully writing the characters to exemplify the worst stereotypes possible in order to make Anita seem like a constant victim/underdog/moral authority despite how poorly Anita behaves and how unrealistic it makes the characters to behave as they do.

Skin Trade has finally made me realize that LKH has been using her books to actively push the "All men are macho frat boys who think women are good for nothing but pumping out babies and spending men's money" agenda. Every single character Anita has met who hasn't bowed at her feet has been painted as chauvinistic, misogynistic, stuck up, old-fashioned and stubborn, and/or just plain irredeemably evil. The problem I see with this is that again and again supposedly professional people are portrayed like angsty high school students while Anita is painted as the noble school buttmonkey. It's just getting ridiculous that NO ONE can behave like a professional in Anita's presence until after they act like idiots and then Anita gives them a lecture.

Hey has anyone picked up Karen Marie Moning yet? Her new book, Dream Fever is finally out and I'm so excited.

If you guys haven't checked her out yet you should! (I can get you guys a torrent of all her books if you're interested)

Wha- what?! I just saw an ad for 'Flirt' - Laurell K Hamilton's latest book, on Hulu. A video ad. I've never seen a video ad for a book before on a streaming website. I barely see them on amazon and youtube and that's when I look for it. Just how much money does this woman have? And why can she afford it when her books are so crappy?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSNPqrnSWTo = was on Hulu