Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Series of the Season Idea

I like your sub-subforum idea comp, it works just fine. As for read-write vs read-only....well it would be better to allow posting, since that is the purpose of a forum. I agree that we'll need to keep a watchful eye on it to make sure it doesn't become a shithole, but with 2 young hotblooded mods on the crew, i think we should be fine.

.... did you just TL;DR us all, AND break the box with an unnecessarily large screenshot??

actually when i started posting, only yuki and bud had posted, and i didn't care about reading thier back and forth arguing over trivial stuff. and i fixed the pic when i saw it was so damn huge, so there! lol

I agree with creating a 'series of the season' subforum under General Anime, templating the titles of each thread something like Code Geass: Episode 01, and throwing it all into another 'death of series of the season' subforum when GW moves on to another highly loved anime. It will sort of stave off of losing discussions from simply deleting or invisiblizing forums, keep the confusion out of merging 26 forums together for later readers, and still allow some separate discussions about issues that arise from each episode to continue.

In my opinion the forum should still have posting permissions, because though the posting volume will most likely be decreased in specific threads, people still might want to debate on things like 'who's leg was whose' in that shot, and the ultra specific philosophical crazy stuff they like to debate per episode.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Well, complich8 and I talked it over IRC to make this as smooth as possible.

So what are we going to do is have a subforum for Series of the Season or whatever.

In there there'll be discussion for one series which is popular, and might even move discussions to two or three others if needed be. We'll tag each thread with the proper series title to keep the forum in order.

When discussions for a series die out, we'll pretty much put Splash!'s idea in motion. Merge all the episodic threads into one main thread. Yes we know we'll lose context of some posts here and there, but to make this work it simply will have to be something we live with.

Keep in mind that for the most part ONLY episodic threads will be merged into this main thread and then moved to GA. The rest of the threads (pretty much the useless ones) for that series will be merged into another thread and closed. Then moved to GA.

So in essence we'll have two threads for the series in GA when it's all said and done... one to discuss, and one to browse old discussions if you want to. It'll be like a graveyard thread were most the shit is merged together.

This way, we'll also save the additional subforum there was planned and keep things organized.

That's pretty much the best compromise we could do.

Thanks for playing.

If you got questions, post them... but this is really the most simple and organized solution that was envisioned.
    Last edited by Munsu; Thu, 04-10-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Sounds good to me.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Yeah its a good solution. Kind of sucks that posts get re sorted according to chronological order when you merge threads. Oh well, if thats how vBulletin works then thats how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Splash!
    Yeah its a good solution. Kind of sucks that posts get re sorted according to chronological order when you merge threads. Oh well, if thats how vBulletin works then thats how it is.
    There are ways around that... like telling people to either quote the post they are replying to or to the post above theirs once a new thread has been created... that way the context is not lost so much.

Holy shit this thread sprung to life after I went to sleep. I might have personally preferred two subforums, one for the threads of the series being discussed and one where all those threads would have been dumbed as they were afterwards so that the forum could have hosted a new seasonal number 1; who gets to decide that anyway after Geass 2?

However, I think the method explained by Bud in his last (longer) post will work well, in the end. After all, it's not so likely that a series will be overly actively discussed anymore long afterwards, plus the merging method will allow General Anime search to work, possibly sparing us from useless new threads. Sounds good to me.

seasonal number 1; who gets to decide that anyway after Geass 2?
    We can decide that any number of ways... As I said above, we need not limit ourselves to one series. By properly tagging the threads, we can handle two or three at the most at the same time in that special forum.

As to deciding what series to move there, well we can judge by popularity, recommendations, voting... many different ways. I don't think we need to structure a process to decide which series warrants being moved... I think a case by case basis should suffice.

Wow, I thought this idea was dead hours ago. Anyway, from my perspective the solution works out perfectly I'm glad comp and Splash! swooped in to breath life onto the embers. Are there any more details still to be worked out or is implementation just waiting on an Admin creating the new sub-forum?

And a side question about sub-forums, will there be a visible indication that there is a new post in a sub forum of General Anime from the forum index page?

Since we're only creating one new forum, I think we might get away without creating a subforum... I don't know what comp is planning or if he's waiting for me to create the forum. I know he's sleeping and I'm not in the mood to do it right now... though I would preffer to think about it some more to make up some useful hints and rules once the forum is done.

So sometime tomorrow I'd say the new forum will be up.

As long as it's up before the second ep of Geass. That way the current Geass discussion thread can be moved there to serve as the Episode 1 thread.

Series En Fuego:
    http://forums.gotwoot.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44

You have to enter General Anime to see it.

If someone got ideas for what other series could be placed there let me know, post in this thread.

I think Blade of the Immortal might get some traction... so I'll be keeping an eye on it, maybe RD Sennou Chousashitsu.
    Last edited by Munsu; Thu, 04-10-2008 at 12:19 PM.