Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reputation

Blog Entries

Shouldn't all reps show the name of the user who gave it to us? It's really annoying when u just get random bad rep from idiots that didnt explain y they gave it to you or just didnt read the freaking post correctly and decided to hit the rep button for giggles

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    No. Reps are anonymous to discourage "rep cliques" -- which is how it's been since we started, and how it's going to stay.

Mods and admins can still view who repped them (and others), but regular users are not able to do so.

Blog Entries
    Sorry im a litle confused, what exactly is a "rep clique"?

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    small group of people working together to artificially inflate their reputations.

Anonymity mitigates this. Since you don't know who repped you, you can't "thank" them by repping them back. Neither can you retaliate against them if they negatively repped you.

When the system was new, I had a couple scripts and queries that also looked for patterns of people repping each other frequently...

Junior
    I was wondering this same thing. Thanks for clearing it up. ^^;

But sometimes people do leave helpful...critism. o.o So it's not all that bad.

Actually back in '05 I was a little scared to post because I get neg repped for joking in a srs thread.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Junior
    It happens to me too! People get way too touchy. D:

I think it happens to all...new people?

Or maybe you guys crying about being neg repped are actually the ones getting too touchy?

This was also true (though I was a bit young)
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    Or maybe you guys crying about being neg repped are actually the ones getting too touchy?
    Eh. most likely.

>.> Maybe we're all touchy on this forum.

Whoever neg repped me I will hunt you down and do this and that to you.

Read: Ha! i neg repped all you bitches!

Notice how many of the mods have high rep, even though they seem to be jerks. Makes you wonder if some sort of rep clique action isn't already afoot.

I personally try to leave my signature when I rep someone. If not a signature, then you can plainly tell who I am from my remarks and from what post I'm repping.

I wish others were so courteous.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I forgot all about the rep, heh.

I miss my bad rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    I personally try to leave my signature when I rep someone. If not a signature, then you can plainly tell who I am from my remarks and from what post I'm repping.

I wish others were so courteous.
    Too bad that's against the rules... if comp catches you doing it, you're gone.

Too bad that's against the rules... if comp catches you doing it, you're gone.
    Can you direct me to a link where it says this. I searched all the rules threads and can't find anything concerning the rep system. I'm not doubting you or anything I just want to see what other rules there are concerning reputation that I don't want to break. Thanks.

edit: oh nevermind, I found this:
    Finally, a new guideline: quit signing your reps. It's ok if you sign a rep that's thanking someone for someone doing a favor for you (like ... making you a new sig, or solving a problem for you), or if you're asking a favor from them (like, "please pm me that link"). But if you're signing most of your hits, it will be interpreted as rep solicitation, and punished severely (like ... re-squarerooting your received hits, or simply disabling your ability to leave rep).
    The punishment doesn't seem quite as harsh as you try to make it sound. Still, probably better not to do it.
    Last edited by Animeniax; Wed, 03-26-2008 at 08:27 AM.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Junior
    I was neg repped for this thread! ;_;

But anyway, I didn't know about the...signing thing, so I won't do it in the future then. >.>;

So strict.

Blog Entries
    That's just weird. Is it that wrong to agree with someone's point and send a signed rep showing that you agree? I mean the fact that you have to rep many other people before you can rep the same person isn't enought to stop those rep cliques?

I agree with the Archangel. From my experience on the negative side of reputation, not allowing signatures let's people post whatever comment they want without owning up to it, and at the same time reduces the effectiveness of the feedback. A statement like "you're a f*cking moron who needs to die" means a lot more coming from certain posters that I respect, versus if it comes from some idiot or newbie I don't respect. That sort of feedback from a respected poster could actually make me change my posting habits. Otherwise it's just something to laugh at.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    ehh, in the case of Animeniax, I don't care if he signs or not, because with his absurdly low reputation he's below the cutoff where his comments count.

In the case of the rest of you, now that the system's pretty much broken in and my life's a good deal busier, I don't really think about it or look at it too much unless someone's complaining about being rep-harassed or something. So if you sign your reps, I don't care too much,

Most of the early drama about the system's pretty well dissipated, at any rate. Now that we've got a couple people who broke out the top of it and got custom titles and such, I don't think people care as much about it as they used to. I view this as a positive thing.