Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    Mods and admins can still view who repped them (and others), but regular users are not able to do so.
    Strange...I'm not able to see that on mine. Granted most of the reps I got were from birthday threads so its easy to tell who it was.

EDIT: Nevermind...I have the power!!!
    Last edited by NM; Wed, 03-26-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by NM
    Strange...I'm not able to see that on mine. Granted most of the reps I got were from birthday threads so its easy to tell who it was.

EDIT: Nevermind...I have the power!!!
    But the question is: are you rich?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    But the question is: are you rich?
    The real question is, why do you care?

I still think that at least bad rep should be signed since that won't let ppl get away with just random crap adn negative rep cliques dont really last that long.

I don't know about that. Lucifus and joker-kun held grudges against me for a while when I gave them shit on the forums. If they could, they would have garbage-repped others repeatedly just to get back to neg-repping me. But I do support your thoughts on signing neg-reps, just so people can't say whatever they want anonymously.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Blog Entries
    Err it's not a question of signing, because if i wanted i could neg rep u and write "by abdula" or something. the name should already be there

Good point. I was thinking people should be both man enough to sign and take credit for their words, which would make it unnecessary to auto-sign a rep. What world am I living in though, right?

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Blog Entries
    Well the thing is that apparently that is forbidden...

I still don't see what's so horrible about thanking someone with good rep i mean the fact that u can only rep a couple of people everyday and that you have to wait a while b4 u can rep the same person again already does the job of avoiding those rep cliques doesnt it?

Sorry man, give it up. gotwoot fears change.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    We have been over this is great detail in the past, but let me lay it out for you, so you understand exactly why the system functions as it does.

First off, rep is not a pure and empirical measure of the quality of your posts. At best, it's more of a popularity contest than anything else. You just have to accept the fact that people will give you neg rep just because they don't like you. They can do that. It's perfectly within the rules. Conversely, people will give you positive rep often on the same whimsical basis, because they like you. I don't think you need to know the identities of all your reppers to figure out who likes you and who doesn't on the forums. Our members here aren't too shy about telling someone to their face if they think they're an idiot.

Second, there ARE ways to abuse the rep system, and the rules in place try to prevent that. In the past, we had a group of a few people that repped each other 90% of the time, as much as possible. Some people in this group also frequently signed their name when repping outside of the group, which created a sense of obligation in the beneficiary to 'return the favor'. Thus, their rep skyrocketed on the forum. Likewise, some people would give out 'retaliatory reps' when they thought someone had neg repped them. Gotwoot is more like a school playground than you would think, and it can get ridiculous and petty like that. Hence, we have rules in place to try to protect the ideals of the system. They're not perfect, but they will hopefully prevent repeats of these incidents. If you want to read the entire history of how these rules came into being, just search for the previous rep threads, and read the drama as it unfolded.

So what it comes down to is: don't take rep too seriously. I doubt the rules regarding it are going to change anytime soon.

I was wondering how Reputation really works. How many reps do you need to get a green rep notches or visa versa? And is there a post system that upgrades your title? Example, I'm consider a "student" while some other members have "anbu," "Mist Lord" e.t.c

I know many probably would get pissed for the revivle, but all the other Reputation threads had been locked. I just want to know how the system works.
    "The End Justify The Means"

Reputation can be either recieved or given out. Reputation used to have a point system, but that's been turned off due to complaints.

Basically, people rep. you, either good or bad, and that goes towards your invisible point system. The higher the rep., you more points you get or lose. Once you reach a certain amount of points, you get another green box. Max green boxes is 10.

As for the title system, it depends on the amount of posts you have. Like right now, you're a Genin for surpassing 50 posts. I have no idea how many titles are out there since they update the list consistently. Custom title is awarded for people who surpass a certain amount of points in the reputation status.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    See here for points calculations: (irrelevant now since you can't see your points)

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread...&postcount=422

But, that's how much repping power users can give you.

200pts per green bar

Accumulate 1500pts (half way through your second shiny) for custom title.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

A thought came to mind.

I'd like to suggest disabling reputation in the Flaming pit. I don't post there very often, and I've never gotten repped for anything I've said there; it just seems like a good idea. Post count doesn't rise in the Flaming pit, so reputation shouldn't change either.

By its nature, the flaming pit is home to inflamatory nonsense. That's what it was designed for I suppose. Some users probably get hurt feelings from what a total stranger said on the internet.

I have no idea how much work this would this would cost comp. So forgive me if I'm asking you to move mountains. It was just an idea, and much like my smelly flatulence, I believe my bad ideas should be shared with everyone.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonlonghair
    A thought came to mind.

I'd like to suggest disabling reputation in the Flaming pit. I don't post there very often, and I've never gotten repped for anything I've said there; it just seems like a good idea. Post count doesn't rise in the Flaming pit, so reputation shouldn't change either.

By its nature, the flaming pit is home to inflamatory nonsense. That's what it was designed for I suppose. Some users probably get hurt feelings from what a total stranger said on the internet.

I have no idea how much work this would this would cost comp. So forgive me if I'm asking you to move mountains. It was just an idea, and much like my smelly flatulence, I believe my bad ideas should be shared with everyone.
    I don't quite get what you're saying. Are you suggesting that people shouldn't get repped on comments made in the pit? Or that someone would get upset from a comment and neg-rep people's flames despite it being the whole point of the pit?

I ask because in either way, if someone felt that badly about it, they'd just rep the same user in a post outside the pit.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Activity on this forum is low enough, Flame Pit is where a lot of users hang out. If you disable rep there you're disabling rep on a big chunk of activity.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel