Thread: Manga: Black Lagoon

Manga: Black Lagoon

Well, I know that Black Lagoon is an anime favorite around here... so wondering if any of you guys read the manga or interested in reading it?

Although not all of it has been scanlated, someone called Anonymous Spore, who is also doing Vinland Saga, scanlated volumes 6 and 7. Just so you know, the first half of volume 6 is the arc with the counterfeit money in the anime, the second half of the volume is all new content. It starts off a new arc, that is still ongoing on volume 7 and will continue on volume 8 whenever that comes out. It's dialogue heavy, but apparently volume 8 will have a ton of kickass action, so I can't wait for that.

Here's volume 6 and 7:
    http://upload.deadfrog.us/Black_Lago...sh.zip.torrent
    http://upload.deadfrog.us/black_lago...sh.zip.torrent

When Okajima Rokuro visits Southeast Asia carrying a top secret disk, he is kidnapped by pirates riding in the torpedo boat, “Black Lagoon”. Although he thought he would be rescued soon, the company actually abandons him, and sends mercenaries to retrieve the secret disk. He narrowly escapes with his life, but has nowhere to go. He gives up his name and past, and resolves to live as a member of the Black Lagoon.
    http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1447
    Last edited by Munsu; Wed, 02-04-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Hm, didn't know that more content is out there now. I'll probably take a look, thanks for the heads up.

The new arc looks like it's going to get really nasty, really fast.

[spoilerific content continues below]

It's going to be one hell of a shitstorm. Everyone is on a different side of things with the Lagoon Company right in the middle. Where does Eda stand? It also seemed that Yolanda wasn't directly associated with the CIA the way Eda is, more like very well payed to tolerate her presence within the Church of Violence.

I wonder what Revy felt in Fabiola's hand when she helped her out of the car though. Did she feel strength in her trigger finger, or something else, maybe even from Revy's past? I did look up some info on the sawed-off Mag-7's that Fabiola uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    One such design feature was safety lever on the left side of the stamped steel receiver, above the pistol grip. The actuation of this lever is not possible without removing the left arm from the pump, and is difficult if the operator is wearing gloves. The same problem exists for the slide lock button. Some regard these as safety features, saying that the risk of negligent discharge is reduced, but both defeat the purpose of "off-hand" firing. Another issue that plagued the MAG-7 was the 17 pound-force (7.7 kgf, 76 N)) single-stage trigger pull which caused accuracy to suffer and made snapshooting more difficult as well.
    That means that Fabiola is using a pair of shotguns in the most disadvantaged manner possible. That alone proves how formidable she is. Maybe not quite up to the level of Roberta, but right behind her. So it seems likely that Revy felt the incredible power in Fabiola's trigger fingers.

Speaking of Roberta, I'm a little worried about her. The pills she keeps sucking down are Ritalin of all things, and she's probably going insane. But, the new outfit disguises her and makes her surprisingly attractive.

Then there was that scene with Revy and Rock talking about why she follows him into the shitstorms he keeps getting himself into. I guess they really are going to be going for that angle with the story.

[end spoilers]

I'd really love to see this arc animated. The omake where all the cast were younger was really funny too. Eda was a cheerleader

Nice, finally the author appeases us with naked Revy. Hallelujah.

So, is volume 7 as far as black lagoon has gotten?

I was wondering, I just finished the anime and loved it, but is the manga the exact same thing up to vol 6 or 7 or are there things that I'd not want to miss in the manga in earlier chaps/vols?

Scans anyway, the raws are up to volume 8 and ongoing.

As I recall from Akatsuki's original scans, the two are pretty much exactly the same. There was an anime original episode maybe, and the order is slightly different. Other than that, you're not missing anything.

The manga interchanges the Yakuza girl with the counterfeit money scheme because the latter ties into the next arc more cleanly.

Sweet, thanks. Guess I'll read from vol 6 and wait for the new vols to be translated.

Anybody know where to find vol 4 and 5?

No one has scanlated them.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    No one has scanlated them.
    Huh, so one group decided to just start at 6 when the previous volumes hadn't been translated? That's odd. I guess if it's where the animation stops then it makes some sense.

As stated above, the two seasons of anime fully cover mid way through volume 6, so there's really no need for 4 and 5 if you've watched the anime.

The anime, might I add, was very true to the manga up through what was scanlated, and 2nd Barrage was gory enough to match the manga. I don't believe you are missing anything.

Yuh, and anime is often much more pleasurable in forms of entertainment.

Here's volume 8 by Anonymous Spore:
    http://www.mediafire.com/spore

They also released volumes 4 and 5 for those interested. I don't have links with me at the moment.

Chapters 60 and 61 of volume 8 is now available in the link above for those interested.
    Last edited by Munsu; Sun, 11-23-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Student
    Chapters 63 - 64 from Anonymous Spore too! Wow, I really hope this gets animated - this is one of my favorite anime and this arc is just really twisted! Hahah, and I very much like how they bring back old characters!

Junior
    I'm only on chapter 17 I think...but I was enjoying it. (I stopped because I was missing chapter 18 and couldn't continue yet)

I have 2 quetions...what color is Revy's hair REALLY? and WHY was naked Revy excluded from the anime. D:

I like manga Revy A LOT. She feels more crazier than anime Revy. (I wish they'd kept her short hair in the beginning in the anime. It was pretty cool.)

I too liked the way Revy's hair looked in the first chapter, but it sadly doesn't really fit her personality. It was way too clean cut. Revy really doesn't care about her appearance enough to maintain a straight and sharp cut like that.

I think Revy's hair is a very dark red-brown or black with dark red highlights. She's Chinese-American, so it is certainly possible that her hair is not pure-black. That's why is is purpleish in the anime.

Junior
    This might sound stupid, but I take it Chinese don't have DEAD straight hair, right? If it would be hard for her to maintain then their hair might have some wave in it? *doesn't know much about chinese culture* They're always depicted as having straight hair but then again, that's movies. >_>

Oooh, somehow it makes sense for her hair to be so strange. It represents her heritage. Nice one there! I never would've really considered that. XD

But I guess her current look does suit her psychotic, agressive, laid-back personality. Her short hair made her look more...well, less scary. She was adorable. o_o

...I need to find that missing chapter.

Student
    Everything up to Chapter 73 has now been translated.
    Chapter 72 and 73 available here

Student

Chapter 77 - The wired Red Wild Card Pt. 1

The "El Baile de la Muerte" arc finished in Chapter 76 and the new arc "the wired red wild card" has started in December with Chapter 77.
    Chapter 77 is available here .
    The rest of the EBDLM arc is also available from JAC

cheers,