Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie: Star Trek 2008

Movie: Star Trek 2008

There's a new Star Trek movie in production, chronicling the early years of the Enterprise crew: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

Chris Pine as Kirk
    John Cho as Sulu (Harold from Harold and Kumar)
    Simon Pegg as Scotty (Shaun from Shaun of the Dead)
    Zachary Quinto as Spock (Sylar from Heroes)
    Zoe Saldana as Uhura

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

No, please No. I've had enough time for this franchise to die.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Judging from the cast, it looks like a light-hearted or possibly comedic take on the Star Trek story. Or maybe just the Sulu and Scotty characters will be there for comedy relief.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Captains log earthdate 07052009.

I saw this movie called Star Trek in an Imax theater today, and all I can really say about it is

THAT IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME.

end of log.
    -----------------

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    Thanks DS...

Going to drag my wife to see it sometimes between tomorrow and sunday ^^

Kinda funny to see the first posts in this thread because I would have agreed a year ago... but the trailers really have me excited about this movie.

Not too shabby, innit? Awesome graphics, great acting.. And gues what? Jimmy goes at it again with some green chick! They just had to redo that!

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Would you guys recommend the movie to someone that has never seen an episode of anything star trek related?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Yes, very much so. Some friends of mine never saw a single ep of star trek and they too thought it was great, mostly so because you don't really need to see the old eps, the movie is pretty much a reboot.
    -----------------

Yeah, a friend of mine saw it at the IMAX here and said it was great. Though he also said, if you have the chance, see it at IMAX. It probably loses some of its awesomeness in a normal theater.

Jounin
    I read a news story that says this movie is the most action packed movie to date. I don't know if they mean this year or out of every movie ever.

It keeps getting awesome reviews, so it must be true.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Well, There's an Imax theater playing it at Disney Village near Paris.

It's not the kind of movie I like, even worse for my wife.
    But I'm a Vulcain lover... I love the original series even now.
    So I'm a bit hesitant...

The thing is that I have to go the other side of Paris from where I am now... 90-100 miles drive, I don't know, too tired I guess.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill
    I read a news story that says this movie is the most action packed movie to date.
    I don't think you understand the concept of hyperbole.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Yeah I enjoyed it and so did my brother who has probaly not seen an episode of star trek ever...

It was a pretty good movie. Definitely worth watching. A little more action and a little less of philosophy and metaphysics present so often in the original series, but I think this suited young Kirk. It sure looked great, as well. CGI of course is nothing to write home about anymore in movies, but I think they had some very good artistic scenes in that regard as well.

This movie is great but it wasn't phenomenal... mm Spock is hot.

I did enjoy the laughs, though. This is a movie I could actually see a second time.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Yeah, this movie was funnier than I thought it was going to be. It had some really good lines in it.

It did a great job of pandering to the hardcore Trekkies while at the same time making it enjoyable for people like me, who know nothing of Star Trek beyond the popular references ("I'M A DOCTOR, NOT A _____" for example).

I really loved this line at the end: "Seeing as how my usual farewell would seem oddly self-serving, I will simply say good luck"

And also Tyler Perry was in this. What the fuck?

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Saw the movie tonite. loved it. definately a great restart to the franchise. It almost makes me wanna watch the original series, but i fear i'll disappoint myself now that i've seen the purty version.

Interestingly enough, the entire original series is on Youtube..

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=Zk2dX5DnW_c
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster
    Would you guys recommend the movie to someone that has never seen an episode of anything star trek related?

I've never seen any of the Star Trek movies. I did catch The Next Generation a couple of times, but not enough to ever say I knew anything about Star Trek.

But, this movie was really good just as an action/sci-fi flick. So yeah, definitely worth watching even for someone who isn't a fan. I liked it a lot.

Yep....for newcomers, the only things you'll miss are some references and inside jokes here and there....and even then, if you're at all familiar with pop culture, you'll probably get those too.