Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School's Back In Session

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHavoc
    ohhh, sexysounding. A game design program I take it?
    pretty much, Game Design and Development.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    I've always heard horror stories about diff-eq. But I also always heard horror stories about organic chemistry, which wasn't that hard.
    The instructor for my class blows chunks. I don't really know if DE, as a topic, is hard or not. However, the instructor doesn't know how to teach so that certainly won't make it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    The instructor for my class blows chunks. I don't really know if DE, as a topic, is hard or not. However, the instructor doesn't know how to teach so that certainly won't make it easy.
    Just curious, is he yellow or something else?

Too many professors are experts in their field but can't teach. Unfortunately their egos are too big to realize that, plus being a university professor is almost as cool as being a Navy SEAL, at least when you're trying to impress chicks.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

hmm, courses...lets see.

Municipal hydraulics - fairly self explanatory...designing water delivery systems for a city

Reinforced concrete - all about designing reinforced concrete structures

Steel structures - designing members for use in steel buildings

Engineering systems - even after 2 lectures, i still dont know what this course is about

Geotechnical engineering B - soil mechanics, stress/strain loads on foundations

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Linguistics:

Language and the Brain: An anatomy-related class dealing with how speech is processed in the brain, upwards and downwards. Will be fun.

Sound Patterns: Analyzing sound patterns in other languages. Sounds boring and useless. I also hate the professor.

Spanish:
    Advanced Grammar and Composition: Typical Spanish class.

Intro to Spanish American Lit. through Modernism: Spanish-speaking literature class similar to one I've already taken. An easy A and something I can hopefully use to appear cultured.

I also want a Psychology class and some sort of PE, but registration is a bitch.

Wow, I didn't know linguistics had so many options as a course of study.
    The problem is that 50% of them are kinda wishy-washy and will only serve as a means to correct people's misunderstandings about language.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    hmm, courses...lets see.

Municipal hydraulics - fairly self explanatory...designing water delivery systems for a city

Reinforced concrete - all about designing reinforced concrete structures

Steel structures - designing members for use in steel buildings

Engineering systems - even after 2 lectures, i still dont know what this course is about

Geotechnical engineering B - soil mechanics, stress/strain loads on foundations
    Sweet, you'll be able to get Pakistan out of the 3rd world with your new skills.

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    The problem is that 50% of them are kinda wishy-washy and will only serve as a means to correct people's misunderstandings about language.
    Some of these courses sound very interesting, if not practical for making money.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Junior
    School starts for me tomorrow.

it looks like I'm the only one still in...HS. >.> LAST YEAR. WHOOOO

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Some of these courses sound very interesting, if not practical for making money.
    Linguistics is a really interesting area of study because it can encompass courses ranging from acoustics to psychology to sociology/anthropology, and any other area that deals with language in some way. It can be extremely structured and scientific, to very open to interpretation.

There's actually some potential to get grants to study dying languages right now, since protecting and cataloging linguistic diversity is a really hot topic in the linguistic community right now. On a less academic side, you can also get very well-paid jobs working as a translator. I have a friend who graduated from linguistics who is working for a software company right now, writing their help files. It's his job to basically 'translate' what the engineers and program developers tell him about the software into something that's readable and comprehendable by the general population.

@Jr: The highschoolers here probably outnumber those of us who are older. We just keep them locked in the Naruto forum.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    turns out i'm the only person in my ccnp class.... i started to hope it would just be cancelled and take another class but they said they're going to have the one instuctor kind of jump between classes or something like that.... meehhh hopefully it goes ok, lots of boring reading though.

my 2003 server class is going good though, it is the 70-291 which covers dhcp, dns, seurity and idk what else, then next half is all active directory wOOT

Quote Originally Posted by itadakimasu
    meehhh hopefully it goes ok, lots of boring reading though.
    Just wait til you get to the working world...