Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie: I Am Legend

Movie: I Am Legend

Wow. Thats all i can say about this movie. I watched it tonite, and just wow. I was expecting it to be another typical zombie flick ala RE or 28 days later, but it takes a rather simple and one dimensional genre and turns it into so much more....comedy, drama, action, and human emotion. Will smith really delivers in this movie....he's a uniquely talented actor, and almost no other actor could have made it work the way he did.

I recommend it to everyone....and watch it in the theaters. The over priced ticket is definitely worth it.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    I really want to see this movie. The concept alone is something I've always wanted to see. Looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    Will smith really delivers in this movie....he's a uniquely talented actor, and almost no other actor could have made it work the way he did.
    I've actually thought before, when was it that Will Smith transformed into such a brilliant actor? There must have been some definitive moment where he stopped being "the Fresh Prince" and a bad rapper, and became the guy I saw in Pursuit of Happyness.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

I was lucky enough to be in some detached mountain town when I saw this movie, and the tiny theater I went to had tickets so cheap that I was able to buy a medium popcorn... and still pay over a dollar less than what I would have for a matinée where I live.

Best $6 movie ever, seriously.

That aside, the CG was pretty crappy, but Will Smith's good portrayal of "the last man on earth" was excellent. Ending was a bit over the top, but hey, still turned out pretty good.

I think reading the book kinda ruined it for me...Like the first 75% of the movie was fantastic, but the ending was, IMO pretty bad. Like, there were elements from the book, but the whole meaning of "I am Legend" was totally changed, to something less poignant in the movie. Not that I didn't enjoy the movie, but yea...

what was the original meaning of it rockmnj?

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    I may be going to see this friday or saturday... Does Will Smith kill any aliens or bad guys at all?

That was my main beef with the last movie he did... i dont want to see emo will smith, i want to see will smith talking shit and killing people. anyhow...

The Omega Man (1971) Starring Charleston Heston... once I found out what the plot of this movie basically was I remembered having watched this rediculous movie a while ago.

I really want to see this movie. I doubt I'll be able to actually go see it before the holidays are over but I'm really interested in it, the concept alone is enticing. The fact that he is the only actor in the movie and that its been getting great reviews makes me more interested. I'll have to wait till after the holidays to see in theaters though and I haven't been able to find any good quality streams or downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    I
    I've actually thought before, when was it that Will Smith transformed into such a brilliant actor? There must have been some definitive moment where he stopped being "the Fresh Prince" and a bad rapper, and became the guy I saw in Pursuit of Happyness.
    I think it was in 96, after independence day that was his "break out" film and he only got better after he did Enemy of The State
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by bbaucom
    I may be going to see this friday or saturday... Does Will Smith kill any aliens or bad guys at all?
    Yeah. It's part action, part emo... but I think the action sequences are more prevalent.

Not to spoil it too much, but he kills a good amount of "zombies," or whatever they are.

Just saw this. Thought it was pretty great.

I only read the plot of the novel after I saw the movie, so I wasn't worried about how the meaning of the title was changed. Though I can see it was a seriously drastic departure. It's completely different.

That aside, I still liked it, despite some things not making sense - like the hispanic woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Genma
    part emo
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Sun, 12-30-2007 at 07:32 AM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

This was a great movie indeed. Saw it today. Some people have told me it sucked, but they just don't have taste! I was told this movie is Resident Evil, but with no action.

Might not have as much action, but the story/plot/dialogue/etc and all that crap was a hell of a lot better than the pathetic shitty Resident Evil movies.

Great movie overall. Will Smith did a hell of a job. And hey, Fresh Prince was the best ok? I still watch it. Never gets old. Funny stuff. And uhh.. His rapper days weren't that bad. Compared to the rappers today, Will Smith is a legend. lol... Crank that soulja boy!

Dope stuff! Good movie, I really got cracking at the puppet part in the video store, while some people were crying (you know, when he says hello to it after Sam died).
    Stupid ending with the handgrenate and all, would've love to see Will Smith going at it like Rambo. BTW, you can see that dude is getting older...

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

The movie kinda went downhill after Sam died. It went from a interesting movie to a typical zombie flick. Besides, Sam shouldn't have died =*(

I think the movie was a bit slow at times. There wasn't enough focus on how the woman and her son survived all this time. I mean Will Smith was supposed to be a soldier and scientist. He was trained for survival. What about the woman and her son?

Besides, I didn't understand why he decided to die in the end. He done what he wanted, he could have just chucked the grenade at them and hid in with the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Killa-Eyez
    while some people were crying (you know, when he says hello to it after Sam died).
    I'll admit, I felt like I was about to cry when Sam died. That was just really really sad. I mean, Neville pretty much lost the last person (or dog) to call family. And it was his daughter's dog nonetheless.

I thought this was a great movie, a different take on the already developed "zombie's take over" genre. It had some funny and sad moments, with some ok action. Will Smith did a really great job in it, I really can't see anybody else delivering in this movie like he did.
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

I can't say I was completely awed by this film like some of you were, but I wasn't entirely disappointed. For one, I didn't like that there was a "leader" type figure within the Dark Seekers, even though I know they were probably just trying to create an obvious "villain" (since movie goers are retarded I guess). And also, although I know Neville had to come in contact with some human beings eventually, it was annoying having...what's her name, Anna? and the little boy come into the picture. I seriously thought there was going to be some romance in this film, but I was happy they didn't go that route.

There were actually a few things that I was impressed by. One, is like what I said above, how there was no romance twist. Also, the fact that the hero didn't make it out of this one alive. I really liked that Neville didn't survive, even if he had to sacrifice himself. It was a nice change for once.

Other than that, it was okay. Sometimes fast paced, sometimes slow. I'd give it maybe a C+/B-.
    Last edited by Testarossa Autodrive; Mon, 12-31-2007 at 02:59 AM.

i thought the point of having a leader for the zombies/vampires was to show that they weren't just violent, mindless animals, and infact had some understanding of hierarchal society....which was in sharp comparison to the fact that Neville thought otherwise when he captured the zombie girl and was making a recording of the incident. He said something along the lines of "i still can't see and semblance of human society in them".

Having a hierachy doesn't mean that they have any traces of human semblace left. Animals also establish leaders based on strength, etc. I just saw the movie, and perhaps some of the posts here gave me a very high standard for the movie. It wasn't as good as I had expected, and I would actually prefer I, robot over this. I thought the movie ended too abruptly, and that the cgi wasn't really convincing.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Like most of you, I thought the movie pretty much sucked 2/3 of the way in, after Sam died. Everything up to that point was amazing. It was creepy as hell and really gripping, and then all of a sudden...

Psychic-Hispanic woman shows up despite the lack of access to the island! Oh hay, a mute kid just like in all horror movies! Why are they there? Who cares, it will wrap things up nicely.

And what's this?? Heavy religious themes out of fucking nowhere??

It really didn't sit well with me and I couldn't figure out why until I read the synopsis and ending of the original book. It just felt tacked-on and poorly handled. Too much Deus-ex-machina = lazy writing imo.

Good film. The third act stops it from being a great film, but still a wonderful exploration of isolation and survival.

The vampire leader was obviously intelligent - the ending was rewritten to delete a subplot where the female vampire that Neville captured ends up being his mate, he domesticated the dogs to a degree, he rigged up a copy of Neville's trap with the mannequin, he came outside to get a glimpse of Neville when he captured the girl so he knew what he looked like, etc.

Enjoyable for me, but not absolutely omg-fantastic-amazing.

It felt a bit run of the mill, like it had stolen parts from 28 Days Later, Res Evil and Silent Hill and mushed them all together. The head zombie guy was totally Pyramid Head without his helmet or sword.

It did keep me entertained, I just felt like it lacked a certain something. Depth? Twists? Not sure really. They should have elaborated more on the flashbacks, maybe showed how the world’s population was wiped out. They should have explained about how the mother/son survived and got onto the island. His wife and child didn't need to die in the helicopter, they could have just flown away or even separated when she first didn't get scanned properly.

Btw, the CG seemed really, really crap to me. It seemed to have frames missing from the animation or something and ruined the whole scary/creepy feel. And why would a human, infected by a virus developed to kill cancer, be horribly allergic to UV rays?
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day