Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comp for the end of the year - YAY!

Exclamation Comp for the end of the year - First Assignment up Due 12/14

Well People, its me, your friendly, neighborhood Phoenix, friend and Graphics Whore for all.

As the Title says, I wanna plan another comp for the end of the year. I realize I've been gone for a while (Quitting crap job, starting new job, finding out gf is a whore, all that good shit) But I feel the best way to get back into the swing of things is to do again what i was doin here for a while, since no one else wants to host a comp (DF, <3 you.)

So heres what I need from you peoples. First, competitors are needed. Obvious huh? I dont care about a set number or anything, if you wanna join, even if you fail at Photoshop, then join. This is to have FUN, and being involved mos of the time equals fun. Also, I'm planning this toward everyone who likes PS. Leave a post if you want in. I'm not gonna do this without 4 people (Excluding me, I might come in later, depending on the people who enter.)

Next I need a theme for the comp. Christmas is fine, but the last Christmas comp we had was meh, so think of some good ideas. Leave a Reply or PM me with that good stuff.

The last point. This is the other important one. I cant decide between a 1 round or a 3 round. I have no problem with ether, but people bitched last time i tried a 1 round, so give some input. In both cases, I have something planned already.

Also, in the case that no one cares about the theme crap, I have something planned as well.

As for prizes, what greater prize is there than being able to rub your victory in the faces of your peers!

Fine, guess Im the only one who likes that. Well thats the prize. If any mods wanna offer something up, go ahead. PM me, post it, IM me on AIM.

Thats about it. If things go well and we get people, the first Assignment will be given on 12/1 and will be due to me a week later, so 12/8.
    Last edited by Phoenix20578; Sun, 12-02-2007 at 10:39 PM.

For all you awesome people, it's just Phoenix. The numbers are just the amount of times people misspell it.

In.

I have no idea what theme we should go far but lets decide on one asap. Maybe...just decide on a widly watched anime? I want to get started. Havn't done a photoshop job in awhile.

LaZie, Get your azz in here.
    Last edited by Lucifus; Sun, 11-25-2007 at 12:47 AM.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Im in and I will try to find some time to photoshop for this competition this time.

I would love to be in, I may be a little rusty though, but i will see what I can do.

I'd like to join (though my PS skills are way beyond rusty), I don't think I'll be able to as final exams will be approaching for me. However, I don't mind hosting everyones signatures/avatars and setting up the polls for the contest if you need someone for that job Phoenix.

As for prizes, you could go with custom titles or another sig enlargement for the winner (but if Lucifus manages to win, we will need a new prize since he already has both unless he just wants a new title)...make suggestions and whatever it is, I will make notice of this in the mod lounge for complich to see.

@Phoenix: IMO, make it a 3 round competition. Those are always better than 1 rounders. As for a theme...just stick to anime? You can never go wrong with anime! Though it would be nice to do something to get into the holiday spirit.
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    I'll probably have to pass on entering the comp as well. All my finals are in the last week of class (grad school is silly like that) so the beginning of December won't be very fun for me.

However, I'd be willing to donate prizes of some cool fridge/locker magnets I've been making that are anime/video game themed. Assuming the winner would be willing to send me an address for me to send the prize to.

LMAO, wow, that was quicker than I thought. Ok, I'll wait about a few days longer for anyone else who wants in. Just keep an eye out this week for an update.

@NM: Yea, I was leaning to a 3 round like always. As for the theme, the Anime part was a given. I mean come on, Gotwoot, anime forum? lol As for the prize, we can give a choice, ether KitKat Magnets of Awesome, or a sig size increase.

@KitKat: Yea, remember the last comp I held? The one where every time the submission was a week away and at the last minute you sent something in? Yea, remind me who won that comp again? lol :P
    Besides, idt anyone will mind waiting a week for you

So, we have enough people after one day, but i'm still gonna wait for more people.
    Its gonna be a 3-Round comp. If anyone wants to bitch....oh well, get over it.
    If anyone has any questions about the comp, hit up my AIM: Inferno20578
    And in case anyone is gonna ask, no, I am not gonna release the assignments until the comp starts.
    Last edited by Phoenix20578; Sun, 11-25-2007 at 05:32 PM.

For all you awesome people, it's just Phoenix. The numbers are just the amount of times people misspell it.

I'm in.
    I should have enough time.

I'm official.

Meh.....I'm all up for a random anime sig for the theme. I have a few renders I'd like to try with a signature.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    I'm in. But it's been awhile since i did anything that didn't find its equivalent in poop form

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Rise and shine Graphics Whore, its 12/1/07.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    I'll enter as well, My skills are rusty as well but I'm up for some Graphic whoreness
    image fail!

Exclamation Comp Assignment #1

Wow you guys are impatient lol. And yes, I am the original Graphics Whore and dont you forget it.

First off, this comps roster:

Myself
    Deadfire (Nice to see you come back)
    Lucifus
    masamuneehs
    Zinobi
    Spiegel
    LaZie
    KitKat
    NM
    (Im forcing you two to join :P)

Ok, these assignments are gonna go differently than the other comps. In my opinion, the end result will be better than usual, especially since some of us are rusty.

Now, assignment one, everyone needs to pick a picture. Once you've picked it KEEP THE GOD DAMN PICTURE AND DONT DELETE IT. Once you've got a pic, you need to take that pic and enhance it to the best of you're ability. This is something that many people take for granted, but the main focus of graphics art is usually what is being displayed. Judging will be biased on how big of a change was made, so you need to send in the original, and the render you created.If anyones jaw hit the floor, good. Going back to basics is a good way to refine technique. This wont take long, but for alot of us, it is the end of the semester and finals and assignments are coming up. So, instead of the due date being 12/7, Im gonna extend that to 12/14, a whole week. Everyone has a lot of time to look for a crap pic and make it amazing. Any problems, issues or concerns, talk to me on AIM.

If anyone forgets any enhancement tricks, remember the tut page that (my mentor) Kage started.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=11375

Happy Hunting

So.....we PM er to you or whats? Post er here?

PM me the submission on or before the 14th. I thought that was a given -_-

so we don't need to turn it into a sig or anything?

also, what about maximum / minimum dimensions?

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

No min or max. Just make it fairly small so it can be posted. And no sig cause this is step one.

Just a small reminder to start submiting your assignments. I've gotten some initial work from some people, and they ether did not understand fully, Missed one or two things, or just fucked it up all together. So one last time, I'm gonna explain for clarifacation purposes:

What I want for this round is JUST a render. not the bg, not a whole sig, just the render and the pic that you started from.

Example:

This is an example of what I want, but I hope to God you don't use something this good from the start. Remember, you are going to be judged on your progress from the original to the finished product. Something like this is too good to start out with, cause there isn't that much to be done from the first place.

Again, if you have ANY question, comments, or just need feedback, my AIM is Inferno20578. I'm ussually on, so please don't hesitate. I dont want to have to dely judging cause everyone fucked up -_-

So you're asking us to take an image with something good in it and cut it out to the best of our ability? Basically making renders?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix20578
    Now, assignment one, everyone needs to pick a picture. Once you've picked it KEEP THE GOD DAMN PICTURE AND DONT DELETE IT. Once you've got a pic, you need to take that pic and enhance it to the best of you're ability. This is something that many people take for granted, but the main focus of graphics art is usually what is being displayed. Judging will be biased on how big of a change was made, so you need to send in the original, and the render you created
    took me awhile to even find that what's requested is a render... I thought it was just enhancing a picture also... well, now we know.