Thread: Books: On A Pale Horse + The Lost Years of Merlin

Books: On A Pale Horse + The Lost Years of Merlin

Well, I'm on a reading spree, and these two were reccomended me by a good friend, so I tried 'em out, and here's what I thought.
    ----------------------

Firstly: On A Pale Horse

This novel by Piers Anthony (pseudonym), circa 1983, revolves around the subject of death, and it's role on the people of Earth. The main character, Zane, is thrust into a new role shortly after attempting a suicide. I know what you're thinking; 'not another emo story'; and it's not. During said attempt, who else but Death himself should walk into the door. In self-defense, Zane shoots and kills Death. A few moments after this happens, Fate comes along and relays to Zane the news. He who kills Death, becomes him.

And after this point, Zane is forced to learn his new role quickly, and, mostly, on the run. All rising to a climax and a confrontation with Satan.

Overall, it's a very well-done book. I know I may be 25 years late on this (9 years you can allow me), but it stands the test of time, and is a good pickup for any reader.
    ----------------------

The Lost Years of Merlin

This story is set, as the name implies, in the center of time between Merlin's supposed conception and his end. The story begins as he is hurled atop a rocky beach, with no memory of who he is, and no memory of where his home was. (I'm barring myself from the long schpiel as above and cutting to my opinions).

T.A. Barron has a work of art on his hands, and I believe it to be nearly as good as On A Pale Horse.
    ----------------------

Fellow readers of these books are welcome to post opinions and whatnot.
    Now 99% disease free!

I demand merger of this thread! Prepare for neg rep Richard.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

If there is ample discussion/interest in the books i'll let the thread stand, otherwise i'll merge it.

In any case, some more details about the plot of the merlin book mite be nice.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Piers Anthony is a very witty author. I read On A Pale Horse a number of years back and very much enjoyed it as well. I would recommend that you read through his other 'incarnation' books as well. I haven't read all of them (only the ones I've found for cheap at used bookstores....back when I was reading a lot - i.e. before university took over my life), but the ones I did read, I liked.

Also, I can't talk about this book, without also talking about Mort by Terry Pratchett. That's another book where the profession of Death features centrally, except in this one the main character is taken on as Death's apprentice. Guaranteed to get you many strange looks if you read it on the bus because you'll probably be laughing out loud at Pratchett's writing. He's awesome like that.