Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    gg for Bakemonogatari, because Mango-chan (Coalguys) is the translator (translates Canaan as well). Mango's translations are always good.
    Last edited by Marik; Tue, 09-01-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Ahoi,

ah, i hope you guys can recommend something along the lines that im describing now:
    Basically, im a bit sick of a serie´s main character being rough/edgy in the beginning, but then turning into a shining hero at the end of the story.
    Or in other words, i hate how most stories always "teach you a lesson", how it´s better to behave like that or this.

A bit of an example would be Berserk, where Guts never really gives a shit about how he does things, and always gets away with doing so.
    Are there other quality series like that? Hopefully, with even more "negative" behaving guys than Guts, who´s already too much of a good guy by now.

Maybe it´s hard to explain, but there are often series where a main character doesnt behave completely right, then is scolded by another, more mature character, and later on the main character realizes how he was wrong...i want a series, where a main character stays true to his, not completely right, beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    Ahoi,

ah, i hope you guys can recommend something along the lines that im describing now:
    Basically, im a bit sick of a serie´s main character being rough/edgy in the beginning, but then turning into a shining hero at the end of the story.
    Or in other words, i hate how most stories always "teach you a lesson", how it´s better to behave like that or this.

A bit of an example would be Berserk, where Guts never really gives a shit about how he does things, and always gets away with doing so.
    Are there other quality series like that? Hopefully, with even more "negative" behaving guys than Guts, who´s already too much of a good guy by now.
    Berserk isn't really the best example...

But you want Anti-heroes?

Darker than Black is a good choice. Hei is a pretty ruthless character.

I'll second Outlaw Star. Gene isn't really a bad guy so much, but he also remains fairly consistent in character. There is development, but not so much of the softening variety. (Bonus is Ayako Kawasumi's debut role.)

Cowboy Bebop goes right along with Outlaw Star.

Hellsing too. Both versions. The Ultimate OVA is a lot better, but the original series is entertaining in its own right. A decent amount of the anime original material fits right along with Alucard's character anyway.

Mezzo (Kite, Mezzo Forte, Mezzo, Kite Liberator). The first two in the list are hentai, but there are censored versions of the two because they action and the story are good enough, and the hentai scene really has no bearing on the plot of Mezzo Forte at all (Kite it is though). Characters with a very punk, anti-hero vibe, be they the assassins in Kite, or the three idiots in Mezzo. None of them are good people when you get down to it, and the animation style is pretty distinctive and nice looking, you can recognize a lot of their OP/ED work.

Scryed The two protagonists are assholes, and they stay assholes. They might turn out to be heroes, it is a standard shonen power-up series after all, but I would hesitate to call them good people.

Nothing else crosses my mind right now, but if Munsu comes around to this thread, he could suggest a lot of good ones for you.