Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yep, gungrave is a great series, so give it a shot as soon as possible. And i have to agree the ending is beautiful.

How is Planetes though? i downloaded the first ep when it came out, but it didn't really interest me. Something about cleaning up space debris or something if i remember correctly.

Now that summer has started (well it started 3 weeks ago) i've been meaning to watch a few series. Heres what i had in mind, tell me if they're any good.

Gun x Sword (getting the first ep as we speak)
    Hajime no Ippo
    One Piece (i've seen the dubbed version, and awful VA's aside, i dont see whats the big fuss. But im willing to give it a a shot just because of the sheer popularity of it)
    Full Metal Panic, original and Fumouffo (sp)

From the ones you mention, Planet ES, Hajime no Ippo, One Piece, and FMP are great and all should be watched whenever possible. Don't know about Gun X Sword, it has a couple of great episodes, but many boring ones... plus some characters just suck. It has great action though.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    How is Planetes though? i downloaded the first ep when it came out, but it didn't really interest me. Something about cleaning up space debris or something if i remember correctly.
    Somebody here convinced me to watch PlanetES earlier, sometime (yeah, my memory is so great). The show changes quite a bit after around episode 10. So, the first 10 episodes are quite tranquil. I suppose not all people would find that pleasing or interesting, but for some reason I didn't mind them at all, even if I had to admit the show got better after the mentioned milestone. Well, it isn't actually a legendary series, but it was fine and worth watching.

I really enjoyed PlanetES, because I've always been interested in space and space travel, and it really presents one of the most believable scenarios for the future. The series gets off to a slow start, but really picks up. The whole series is mostly just character development, but it does a great job at it. If you've always liked space (real space, not space opera anime) you'll like it. It's really an anime you'll either like or hate depending on your interests.

One Piece takes a huge commitment. (Following is on the sub, the 4kids hacked apart versions are unquestionably unwatchable). I downloaded the first 20 eps or so, but I realized that I just wouldn't be able to keep with it. It never really caught me, but from what I understand its really good. If you can commit yourself to watching it, you'll like it. Everyone I know who watches it is a fanatic about it. All it takes is that one push.

Hajime no Ippo is exactly the same.

The FMP series' are highly recommended, the perfect balance of comedy and action when you watch all of them.

GunXSword is a totally forgettable series. I'd say don't waste your time with that one.

One Piece DUB doesn't do it justice. I'll admit, the first episodes are slow, however, the series is great. The characters and story are all well done, and once you start to see the Straw Hat crew develop, you will really become attached to them.

I need some help i feel like i missed some good shows in the winter season. Are there some great ones from that season shoulndt be missed?

There wasn't a lot of stuff for the winter season, but right now there are lots. Take a look at my sig. I guess you can call Fate/stay Night a winter series because it started in December/January and will be ending soon. School Rumble 2, Ergo Proxy and Black Lagoon are probably the top series ATM. Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi is a pretty interesting series, good for light viewing. I just started Utawarerumono (haven't watched any yet actually) so I can't comment on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    One Piece takes a huge commitment. (Following is on the sub, the 4kids hacked apart versions are unquestionably unwatchable). I downloaded the first 20 eps or so, but I realized that I just wouldn't be able to keep with it. It never really caught me, but from what I understand its really good. If you can commit yourself to watching it, you'll like it. Everyone I know who watches it is a fanatic about it. All it takes is that one push.
    I watched up to episode 130 something and stopped there. It feels like it was never going to end, which isn't a bad thing because the series is amazing. It's just too long.

The two seasons of ARIA are worth a try if you haven't seen them.

Also if you haven't started these, they are worth a try (popular titles, all still ongoing):
    Eureka 7
    Blood+
    Fate/Stay Night

Solty Rei and Karin were also decent series from last season. REC was a short series that was enjoyable, but be sure to find the versions with the highest video quality (as several groups used webcast raws). Shakugan no Shana is also not a bad choice, though it has a particularly slow start.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sun, 05-21-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Eureka seven and fate night i remember wanting to try but forget.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Of the new season i like Kiba,Witchblade,Black Lagoon and my fav of all comedy animes school rumble.