Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by xDarkMaster
    Are any of these shows, in your opinion, a MUST see (or atleast up there with the great ones) and why? Or, should I avoid one?

Ghost in the Shell
    Full Metal Panic
    GunGrave
    Berserk
    Hellsing
    I never ever liked Hellsing, not even a little bit...
    Ghost in the Shell is good, but not a MUST.
    Full Metal Panic: I'm in the minority on this one.... It's a show lots of people say is great and especially hilarious, but I found it to be pretty weak and hardly funny at all.

Gungrave: I still cry when I watch some of these episodes. The most moving 'gangster' anime I think I've ever seen. Awesome action, great characters, powerful and gritty. But yes, some people don't like the direction it goes at the end, but I found it to be just the further progression of 'dehumanizing' that the show started out with anyway.

Berserk: Watch this show. Delete the episodes. (can even do this as you go through the episodes, saving considerable space) This show is older and it really shows (at least on the version I watched). But I highly highly recommend it. Why?

Because after you watch it you'll be hungry to enter the absolute awesomness that is Berserk the manga. Best. Manga. Ever.
    But you might say: I don't read/like manga!
    You will after you start reading the Berserk manga.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Ghost in the Shell:
    This is a must see if you care at all about cyberpunk. Both seasons of the series are really excellent. And made for more older audience than simple shounen. They have surprisingly lots of dialogue, and the philosophy is often not empty chatter at all. I consider this a must.

Full Metal Panic:
    Truly excellent series. Three or two and a half seasons, as the Fumoffu between the two is kind of like what you dream fillers would be for every series (well, technically Fumoffu wasn't a filler, because it had a real source, but it didn't advance the greater plot). Magnificient mecha action and great characters. And the second season had some of the best character development I have seen in anime; it succeeded in what most series totally fail. A must.

Berserk:
    If you haven't seen this, then there's only one thing to say: What are you waiting for? This is one of the best anime series ever made. Along with Elfen Lied it holds the top positions on my list. A must must must.

GunGrave & Hellsing: These two I haven't seen, myself, so I'm as much in the dark as you are...

Thanks Masa and Kraco! Helpful as usual. I think I will watch GITS, FMP, and possibly Berserk now. Still not sure about Gungrave and Hellsing though.

I've heard of Beserk before, never seen it before, and if it can even be compared to Elfen Lied, then I'm pretty sure its worth watching. I'll check it out, thanks to both Kraco and Masa, lol.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    wow Kraco if you liked Berserk the show that much you'll be in perpetual orgasm while reading the Berserk manga...

For those who don't know Berserk the anime is 25 episodes long and only covers the first 13 volumes of the manga, leaving out several chapters (i think an entire volume is left out actually...), covering the "Black Swordsman" and "Golden Age" arcs.
    The manga is currently in volume 31

If we're on a scale of 10, I give Berserk the anime a 8.8-9.1
    If we're on a scale of 10, Berserk the manga is off the scale. It is that good.

And again, I couldn't be more enthusiastic about people watching Gungrave. You will not regret it.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    And again, I couldn't be more enthusiastic about people watching Gungrave. You will not regret it.
    Alright. You convinced me. I got the .torrent, but won't start it before I finish downloading Goldenboy...

Kraco, tell me what you think about it when you finish or feel you have an opinion on the anime. I have to finish rewatching Kenshin before starting something.

Quote Originally Posted by Honoko
    Golden Boy's good due to its sheer hilarity. Guys probably appreciate the massive fan service that abounds in this very short series (5 or 6 eps) =P I remember watching this and nearly fell out of my chair during the.... second ep, I think. It's the one where he's led by the hand by some rich student and.... =X
    Now I know exactly what you meant by nearly falling out of your chair. Damn this show is crazy. The fanservive is also purely humorous most of the time. Thanks, I probably wouldn't have sought out this series without that post of yours.

^ I'm glad you enjoyed it. Benkyobenkyobenkyobenkyobenkyo.....

PS: i would rep you, Kraco, if I hadn't given you one recently just a short while ago. This has been happening a lot to me lately. Apparently, I only consistently like the posts of a select handful of GWers that would inspire me to hand out positive reps. Must try to be more open-minded?
    Last edited by Honoko; Mon, 05-15-2006 at 03:43 PM.

Kraco, tell me what you think about it when you finish or feel you have an opinion on the anime. I have to finish rewatching Kenshin before starting something.
    I have watched half of Gungrave now, and it looks like a really good show, technically and artistically. The slightly autistic main character needs some getting used to, but after a while he starts to seem even a bit cool because of his tendencies. The plot is excellent, so far, and so are the characters. There are quite a few of those, but the important ones have fine personalities, not to mention voice actors (there are voices to recognize here, names such as Kikuko Inoue and others with resumes as thick as a phone book...).

This series can certainly be recommended. Well, I haven't seen the latter half yet, but I would be surprised if it wasn't just as exquisite as the first half.

Missing Nin
    Ghost in the Shell
    Full Metal Panic
    GunGrave
    Berserk
    Hellsing
    I'm a bit late but I'll throw in my 2 cents on these series atleast.

First off I'm not a Ghost in the Shell Fan so for that one listen to those who enjoy the series as I simply have never liked any of it.

Full Metal Panic: This series is a lot of fun but the first season a lot of people feel starts off increadably but they just didn't care for the supposidly weak ending. I for one really enjoyed the series and I do own it on DVD its certainly worth watching but of all the FMP series so far Fumofuu is simply the most fun and will keep you laughing your ass off the whole time. FMP the initial 24 episode series is good and worth watching but as stated the ending doesn't really live upto the quality of the first 7 or so episodes and it really changes gears in the middle. FMP The Second Raid is Ultraviolent I wouldn't watch it if your squemish but overall its definatly worth watching if your ok with that.

Overall: Very enjoyable series and one of my favorites but all 3 series are very differn't experiences so make sure your taste matches the ones you choose to watch.

Gungrave is absolutely amazing and I must say that it came out of nowhere and impressed me with the depth of characters and action this is definatly a must watch without question.

Overall: Highly recommended

Berserk is one of my favorite animes, but with that said it ends abruptly and you will find you have to read the manga if you watch the series. The manga is INCREADABLY dark and ruthless but its simply the best Manga I've ever personally read. The Series is once again very gorey but it doesn't stand on its own and so far there is no second part. So the verdict for me is only watch it if your willing to then read 30+ volumes of manga at 200+ pages a piece.

Overall: Recommended but Very Highly recommended if you are also willing to download and read the manga.

Hellsing: I really like this series and its rather short at only 13 episodes. Also so far the OAV's they have been releasing are just rehashed more adult versions of the 13 episode series so there is no need to really download both versions of this. Honestly I enjoyed it and even if you get the dub its still very well done as all the voice actors are of the correct nationalities and it just works in this case. I would certainly give this a shot but once again be ready for a series that doesn't really end and in this case I'm not sure the manga continues it if you want more.

Overall: Highly recommended (even if its the dub)

@Kraco: Thanks for the info, I will be sure to try and watch it i I have the time/space.

@DDBen: Not late at all and your opinions and comments are appreciated. I will certainly take into account what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I have watched half of Gungrave now.................
    Trust me, you haven't see NOTHING yet! Gungrave quite easily has one of the best endings in all of anime. For every 10 series, 9 ending make you want to strangle yourself. Well, Gungrave is the odd one out.

Quote Originally Posted by DDBen
    Hellsing: I really like this series and its rather short at only 13 episodes. Also so far the OAV's they have been releasing are just rehashed more adult versions of the 13 episode series so there is no need to really download both versions of this.
    Actually the OAV will be following the manga, and anyone who has read the manga the knows that the TV Series didn't even touch the main story line. The only problem with theOVA will be is that each episode will take a few months to come out. I love the manga, so if OVA follows the manga like they say it will then be an awsome and highly recommended.

I'm actually quite fond of both as they are. I know the original series didn't follow the manga at all, but I was happy with the result, until the last eps or two. I liked how they fleshed out Ceres a lot more in the original series, really giving her a conflict about what she had become. When the priest shows up and she has the option of freeing herself, the manga and the OVA barely glance at it. She doesn't go for it and Alucard calls her stupid, end of it. They added a lot to it in the original series.

The series gives off the effect that Alucard is an unknowable force, and also a bit of a father figure to Ceres and even a little bit to Integra. The OVA is centered on him a lot more.

They give off a complete picture from two very different points of view. To Alucard, Ceres is an idiot and totally naive, expressed in the OVA. To Ceres, Alucard is the direct embodiment of what she's becoming, and in a way, a second father to replace the one she lost long ago. Expressed in the series, she becomes proud of what she's become.

If you like one, I think you absolutely must watch both.

Quote Originally Posted by BOARD_of_command
    Trust me, you haven't see NOTHING yet! Gungrave quite easily has one of the best endings in all of anime. For every 10 series, 9 ending make you want to strangle yourself. Well, Gungrave is the odd one out.
    You are absolutely right. It was truly an excellent ending. Equal to Elfen Lied. And an outstanding series altogether. It's always nice to encounter animes like this. What weaknesses it had were minor and easily forgiven. And like you said, even in a greater sense, rare shows are such that you can completely accept them, without some nagging things would would have liked otherwise..

Now you've got me intrigued about Gungrave. Perhaps I'll give that a shot soon.

Yep, gungrave is a great series, so give it a shot as soon as possible. And i have to agree the ending is beautiful.

How is Planetes though? i downloaded the first ep when it came out, but it didn't really interest me. Something about cleaning up space debris or something if i remember correctly.

Now that summer has started (well it started 3 weeks ago) i've been meaning to watch a few series. Heres what i had in mind, tell me if they're any good.

Gun x Sword (getting the first ep as we speak)
    Hajime no Ippo
    One Piece (i've seen the dubbed version, and awful VA's aside, i dont see whats the big fuss. But im willing to give it a a shot just because of the sheer popularity of it)
    Full Metal Panic, original and Fumouffo (sp)

From the ones you mention, Planet ES, Hajime no Ippo, One Piece, and FMP are great and all should be watched whenever possible. Don't know about Gun X Sword, it has a couple of great episodes, but many boring ones... plus some characters just suck. It has great action though.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    How is Planetes though? i downloaded the first ep when it came out, but it didn't really interest me. Something about cleaning up space debris or something if i remember correctly.
    Somebody here convinced me to watch PlanetES earlier, sometime (yeah, my memory is so great). The show changes quite a bit after around episode 10. So, the first 10 episodes are quite tranquil. I suppose not all people would find that pleasing or interesting, but for some reason I didn't mind them at all, even if I had to admit the show got better after the mentioned milestone. Well, it isn't actually a legendary series, but it was fine and worth watching.