Page 33 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Hey everyone,

Thank you very much for your recommendations. I've begun watching Macross Frontier. It's a pretty good series, I am caught up to ep. 18. I like the art and the action, however I am looking for a more chess-game themed anime like Death Note or Code Geass, or an anime that has a REALLY good plot that makes you really think a lot, like FMA.

I've tried soul eater but I couldn't get past the first episode as the art is terrible and to me it just seems like it's an overall unappealing series. It certainly is not "en fuego" in the least (in my opinion, I'm sure many of you disagree).

Frankly, you have very narrow taste in art. Macross, FMA, Death Note, Geass, all very similar. BONES' adaptation of the art in Soul Eater is flawless. That's simply the style of the series. It's supposed to have a neo-gothic look, mixed together with twisted humor, and it adds to the atmosphere of the series immensely.

Nevertheless, I shall advise you on "thinking" series.

ef - a tale of memories - romance series, very strange concepts of memory and sound. You will probably get turned off from the art style, but that would be your loss.

School Days - At first glance, a very dull, straightforward romance series. If the length of the discussion thread in this forum after the series ended is any indication, this series is FAR deeper than it appears. Motivations of every action of the characters from the very beginning should be re-examined for further understanding.

RD Sennou Chosashitsu - Like all Shirow Masamune series (Ghost in the Shell, et al.) this series is primarily a cognitive series, and the eye candy is just a plus. You may also want to watch the two seasons GiTS:SAC if you haven't seen that either.

Shigofumi - Thought provoking series about what messages we would send to those we love (or hate) after we die. Motivations for seeking death and similar feelings are also focused on.

The Daughter of Twenty-Faces - "classic" series (currently airing) in the vein of the Phantom Thief genre. Takes another look at the Japanese post-war era in an alternate (or secretive) reality.

True Tears - Another romance series with a deeper look at what we really want and what kind of people we really are.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - Look no further for one of the most twisted series you will ever see. Mysteries abound, confusing as hell, and only when you are nearly sure of the truth, does the real truth get hinted at. Simplified art, but not a series to be discounted for one seeking a "cognitive" series.

Monster - I cannot attest to having seen this series, but it is by far one of the most deserving to grace this list.

ERGO PROXY - Again, I can't say I've seen it all the way through, but it certainly has its place on this list.

Planet ES - Space opera with a little less opera and a lot more "space." Wonderfully technical, and prods at the explorer in all of us. A bit like Macross in that sense (where Macross praises the pioneer) but deals with terrorism, old age, and illness rather than combat and pop idols.

Le Chevalier D'Eon - Period piece about the pre-French Revolutionary spy. Full to the brim with the occult. A bit dry in spots, but the art is fantastic.

Soukou no Strain - Sci-fi Space Opera retelling of Frances Hodges Burnett's A Little Princess, though it almost comes off as a parody with personality reversals for all the characters. An interesting look at the relationships between family and enduring hardship. Also noteworthy of having a very realistic approach to relativistic flight.

SaiKano - The single most depressing series you will ever see. Get past the art, and you are in for a rough one.

Just remember:
    You have to take in some of the fluff or you won't be able to appreciate the more "cognitive" series. There is no appreciation for beauty where there is only perfection.
    ^ totally learned that from a Twilight Zone episode
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Wed, 08-20-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: ...nor is perfection achieved in one go

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Kaiba also has a wonderful storyline, but I don't think you could see past the art, it deals with a parallel world in which people's memories can be transferred from one body to another.

Recently I've been watching Bakamatsu Kikansetsu, it's about the samurai of the Shogunate. The art is beautiful, but what I really like is how they blend the violent world with the people who traveled the countryside putting on plays.

Another that comes to mind that you may enjoy is Kurau Phantom Memory, it's light-hearted at face value but I find this one to be one of the most emotional series I've ever watched. The main character is accidentally infected with an energy form her scientist father experimented with that takes complete control of her mind and body.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    how about a sports anime?

Ookiku Furikabutte for example, it's about baseball... it's actually very tactical, but not too complex and the art is the best I've seen in sports anime.

and it's probably not so unrealistic like "Major" in my opinion... there are no "super straight tiger fastballs" or other balls like you see in series like "Superkickers" or so

If you are not averse of watching sports anime, you should give it a try... it's fun to watch them play... and it is not so onesided like other sports anime in my opinion
    (you really get to know each team they are playing against)

I know that Death Note and sport animes are actually very different ^^ but imho the planning and the players actions are very similiar to the game of cat-and-mouse... "will he throw a fastball? will he except me to throw the fastball? can we somehow lead him to a wrong conclusion?"

and so on

and whoever likes to watch sports on TV will love this series... it's *really* fun to watch the teams play! they have the right spirit of competition and it feels like you are somehow involved in the game... this was actually the first sport anime where I had such a feeling.

I guess it's because they feature the fans, which are also very important for the players n stuff... and the music is good too. (which is partly made by the fans and their music group btw)

ah one thing: If you give it a try, don't get shocked by the whiny main character it's not so hard to bear with him later, trust me.

seriously.. I don't recommend this anime only to you, really everyone should give it a try, it's very good.

I wish they would make a second season :/
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Thu, 08-21-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Lelouch, you want something like a chess-game series? Watch Hikaru no Go if you haven't already seen it. Great series with both depth in story, fighting power and awesome music that creates an unreal atmosphere, you wouldn't believe (unless of course if you've already watched it) :P

Or if you just want good fun watch golden boy or those who hunt elves.

does anyone know what anime that is

http://z0r.de/?id=539

looks well drawn

Awesome user with default custom title darkmetal505's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    does anyone know what anime that is

http://z0r.de/?id=539

looks well drawn
    That's Dizzy from the Guilty Gear video game series.

Specificially, that's the opening from any version of Guilty Gear XX

...not to be pedantic or anything...

Blog Entries
    Looking for a new anime to watch

Loads of action, kamehamehas and ridiculous shonnen hero powerups

So what do u got for me?

Quote Originally Posted by The Archangel

So what do u got for me?
    Be patient and watch the upcoming part of Naruto...

Quote Originally Posted by The Archangel

So what do u got for me?
    I think it's probably about time you looked back into this thread Arch. I cannot possibly count the times someone was looking for something good because they enjoy one or more of the following:
    Naruto, Bleach, YuYu Hakusho, Kenshin, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter.

This question has been answered a lot more than you may realize. It's even the first post, more or less.

Blog Entries
    I should have mentioned that i have watched all of those already, sorry

Maybe something more recent that is still playing? ( not soul eater, already watching it )

tried Gilgamesh? they throw energy balls around. though, it's not a shonen series (blood, politics, and if I recall, incest).

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Blog Entries
    I'm not opposed to excessive violence but... incest?

I think that's what it was, it got after the first episode.. it's not that much of an 'easy go around blast everybody show'... but it's good, or at least I convinced myself it was.

for more traditional animes, how about Getbackers, or, if you've got really low standards, beat the vandel buster, and lords of lords:ryu knight.

they aren't the pick-of-the-litter, but it's something you haven't seen yet.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Are there any other shows similar to Tenjou Tenge? The whole school scene with fighting? Except, it's actually good? Any kind of fighting will do. The beginning of Tenjou Tenge was pretty cool, but then the flashbacks and pathetic story just got lame. And umm.... I think it has a little too much fan service for me.

Ikkitousen is like a TT clone, and it sucks huge d as well.

Only decent one with martial arts and school setting is probably say Kenichi the Strongest Disciple or whatever.

School-age Fighting series....
    Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic
    Except, it's actually good?
    Here would be the problem. There really aren't any martial arts school fighting series that really stand out. In fact, a lot of them are the guilty pleasure kind of terrible. Or they don't take themselves seriously at all, and then they're not too bad.

- AirMaster: Brutal streetfights, blood flying, and one clingly creepy 30-year old pervert, a girl that more resembles a cow (voiced by Yukana = C.C.), and a really obnoxious little girl. But the streetfights are totally worth it.

- History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi: Pokes a little fun at the "super attractive girl that can kick everyone's ass" stereotype by making it really obvious, but has it's fair share of good martial arts action, gets a little more serious later on, not bad but it didn't really keep my interest.

- Ikkitousen (Ikkitousen, Dragon Destiny, and Great Guardians): Here you thought the fanservice in Tenjou Tenge was a little too much...Ikkitousen is nothing BUT fanservice and non-sensical plot. The fights aren't too bad though, at least in the first season. I couldn't get very far into the second because it really just didn't make any sense anymore.

- Grappler Baki: Can't say I've seen this one, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. AniDB

- Ranma 1/2: The "classic." There's a fair amout of ecchi (expected when the main character turns into a girl in water) but it's light hearted, the fights are stupid in nature, but entertaining. Worth the laughs.

- Samurai Girl Real Bout High School: Ecchi sells this series, or at least attempts to. [Notice the pattern. Ecchi and street fighting go hand in hand ]. But this series is pretty much garbage. I was unable to make it past the first 3 episodes. AniDB

- Sumomomo Momomo: Again, ecchi is a big factor in this show as well. Though I have to say it slips a bit toward the lolicon side. The fighting scenes are a bit over the top in the best kind of way, there's a cute ninja assassin, and the series is enjoyable in it's own way.

- Tenshi na Konamaiki: So it's more of a romance than a school fighting series, but the fighting is a fairly prominent theme throughout the series. Little, if any ecchi to speak of, though the art style may be a bit outdated for some. The series has a lot of humor, and goes out to a nice 50 episodes. Defintely became on of my favorites in the genre.

...and don't think the (street fighting + high school = tons of ecchi) is restricted to anime. Nearly every manga I've read in the genre has it too, usually in far greater quantities.

Blog Entries
    What can you guys tell me about this anime called D-Gray man ?

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    I have had D Gray Man on my computer for... a long, long time. It's about an exorcist with an eye that can tell demons from humans (original I know). They use a magical fragment called the Innocence to mutate the main characters arm and give other people various powers. I just can't seem to get into it, I don't find the characters associate well with each other, except the Noah clan and the Millenium Earl, and they haven't given me the urge to continue this past 20 episodes.

And that lady with black rings around her eyes is just fucking hideous, I almost skipped whole episodes because of her. She freaks the shit out of me.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin