Page 22 of 82 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Ah I guess I should have listed all of the ones I have watched instead of partial. All those that you listed for the tear jerkers are good ones too, though it has been awhile since I have seen them, maybe I'll rewatch them sometime. I have watched most of those tear jerkers and Harem anime, but I will take a look Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru and Chrno Crusade.

I have tried to download Chrno Crusade before but I couldn't find it, any ideas where?
    As for Kanon, I saw the 2002 version, is the 2006 version any different? or just simply undated visuals and such?
    "I like to let people talk who like to talk. It lets me find out how full of sh1t they are."-Jackie Chan from Rush Hour

The 2006 version of Kanon is overwhelmingly better. Not just in terms of visuals, but in storytelling as well. It is 10 episodes longer than the previous version, so the arcs of everyone have been expanded accordingly. The only arc I found to be better in the original was Shiori's, but not by a great deal either. All the other girls had a great deal of depth added to their arcs.

As for where to download, I can only forward you to the Downloads Section of the forums. You can also check the AniDB links to see which subbers completed it, and possibly use irc to download if the episodes are still available.

I noticed Da Capo has 2 seasons...is it worth watching both seasons? I need to get Kanon as well....

Also, does anyone know of any good series coming out this Winter?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by narutosharingan
    We have a thread dedicated just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by narutosharingan
    I noticed Da Capo has 2 seasons...is it worth watching both seasons? I need to get Kanon as well....

The 2 seasons are completely different from each other. The one named Da Capo Second Season starts 2 years later after Nemu had left for a university. Now, as for Da Capo 2, according to anime news network is set 53 years after the original Da Capo characters; meaning that the characters in this one are the grand children of those from the first Da Capo.

And yes, it's a definite must-watch. Completely different stories from each other, however it's pretty cool how the grand kids are similar to their grand parents
    "I like to let people talk who like to talk. It lets me find out how full of sh1t they are."-Jackie Chan from Rush Hour

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Seto no Hanayome - Harem (pretty much), comedy (definitely), drama (sometimes). Boy meets girl, girl is mermaid, boy is engaged to mermaid. Hilarity ensues. AniDB
    yes pretty hilarious at times.
    I particularly liked the "Chivalry" settings with Sun, Sakura petals and "Namida Ichirin" enka song in background These were always giving me a nice smile.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcode120x
    As for ookiku furikabutte, I probably wont watch it because I think 1 or 2 sports anime is enough for me. As for the time jump, it's not that huge, it's only like a 3 year jump. As for unrealistic, eh, of course it would be.
    /B]
    hmmm why do you say "of course"?

i don't know for sure because i don't watch baseball very often but i think ookikku furikabutte is one of the most realistic sports-anime i've seen... well lets even say most realistic anime.. since it's not fantasy or sci-fi

there arn't any "super" batter/pitcher whatever...
    the main character has a very good control, but no speed and is very insecure
    his teammates arn't total jerks... they are all pretty good

for example their cleanup batter does have very good eyes and seems superior to the others, but he is small and can't score homeruns because of thet.. however hes really fast which makes him a good runner and he has a problem that he thinks of himself too high

so every character in the team has a good story,strengths and weaknesses .. and there arn't any pitches like "super tiger-fast-sliding ball" *woaaahhhhh* or batters with a "devil-highway-bat* *weeee*, which is why i like this series.. so i thought when people talk about major being unrealistic, it is because they win everygame even though the opponent is obviously superior or because of very unrealistic pitches and so on.

the best thing about this series is that it is not "one sided"... they show the thoughts and talks of both teams, so you are able to identify yourself with both...and not only with the main team.

ah and for tear-jerkers:

fate/stay night

i don't know... but the ending was sad... never excepted it to end this way and to be honest i even hate type-moon for doing it that way :P
    it has some good harem-comedy in it too...
    its nearly the same with Elfen Lied but i think Fate was even better

edit:

btw are there any animes with music/dance? the only one i've watched so far which had at least a little music/dance in it was "the melancholy of suzu..zu..hariaaaa Haruhi"

i tried to search a bit on youtube but didn't find any..only fan made .gifs n stuff..
    i wonder why... it's not really difficult to create an interesting story which has to do with music n stuff..
    a band which tries to get famous... would be enough to get me interested.. many obstacles like love/feelings/failures n stuff..
    well back to the question: are there any animes which have to do with music or dancing?? ^^

the only thing i found is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icmeUtfi63s but it has nothing to do with an anime am i righ xD?

edit: oh man, i just watched a few major amv + scenes... and compared to ookikku furikabutte, major is simply shit :/
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Thu, 01-03-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Now that I really think about it, Major isn't unrealistic in anyway. The pitches DO look like it's impossible to do/hit but I think they are regular baseball pitches. I'm not a baseball fan or know anything about it but I think the only part that MIGHT seem unrealistic in major would be the pitching. Probably the animation of it makes it look unrealistic. I just calculated and the opposing teams always seem to be like "OMG! how can you hit/throw a fast ball like that!" and the speed on average for the main character is 150 km/h. I found out that's only 93mph which is regular speed for pro baseball but is considered fast for high school baseball.

Maybe the unrealistic of it is that the main character can a 93mph ball while only in high school, so I take back what I said about it be unrealistic of course.

I wont say okikku furikabutte is bad in any way because I haven't watched it, only read descriptions, but I think Major is great and I probably wont like okikku furikabutte because it might have the same type of drama around the team players or like you said every character has their own strength and weaknesses

KrayZ33, if you're looking for another sports anime and it seems like you wont watch Major anymore, I suggest watching Overdrive. Theres going to be a definite 2nd seaon but if your into the type of don't give up and I must get stronger, faster, better, you like this bicycle anime.

I just watched half of Aishiteruze Baby and I just got addicted to it right there, the child is just way too cute to not watch it.
    Last edited by Barcode120x; Thu, 01-03-2008 at 03:28 PM.

I just watched half of Aishiteruze Baby and I just got addicted to it right there, the child is just way too cute to not watch it.
    I only wish the graphics would have a bit higher quality. The budget of that show must have been quite limited. But even as it is it's in my Top 5 anime of all time.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    @ barcode: oh come on :P... i just saw this from major
    i have to admit that i dont know which season this is but...
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=56tkH6...eature=related

the baseball-bat broke wtf and... "FOUL! FOUL! FOUL! FOUL! FOUL! FOUL!" "oh hes excepting the fastballs"... come on is this "the superkickers"? thats not realistic at all
    in comparison to OF:http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=X-x10KpASyA
    major seems pretty weak...even though its an opening i posted (better animation n stuff)

however thanks for your fast answer, even though i think you are very wrong there with major beeing good.

to overdrive
    well actually it looks somehow boring.. i think a "race" anime should have very good graphics and much more speed to be interessting... like: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=hwAcb04BXbE

i know this is need for speed but well.. a race without speed and good looks is just boring in my opinion.. lovestory/dramas etc. can't help then because there are better animes out there which focus on the drama and not on sports
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Thu, 01-03-2008 at 06:42 PM.

=/, I guess your right about Major. I guess the reason why I like it because of the drama/determination as well as the fast pitches xD, but it is the only baseball anime I've seen.

If I remember correctly, the bat breaking is only on that season, and the first season is pretty old. I believe the 2nd season, so far, is the best out of the 3 that are out now and the animation does get somewhat better. Maybe I should say it isn't as unrealistic as the first season? I don't really know ><, I keep shifting ideas now on realistic stuff, but the fact remains that Major does have unrealistic measures to it.

Now I think I'll definitely give okikku furikabutte a try for a better opinion.

As for that need for speed video, that would definitely be so cool if an anime was as nearly as good as that intro xD. What you said about animes going for drama is so true. Overdrive is just like that, coming for a typical loser/loner to an all-star, in a way I mean but I think that applies to other sports anime as well (except for Major).

Kraco, I see what you mean about it. I'm also surprised they put in "playing with girls" part into it, I expected just kissing and no showing of hands touching, I'm kind of disappointed in that because for a very cute anime like that, they should have stayed away from the touching in my opinion. I don't think it goes well with having an innocent child that is "pitiful".
    Last edited by Barcode120x; Thu, 01-03-2008 at 06:01 PM.

I'm also surprised they put in "playing with girls" part into it, I expected just kissing and no showing of hands touching, I'm kind of disappointed in that because for a very cute anime like that, they should have stayed away from the touching in my opinion. I don't think it goes well with having an innocent child that is "pitiful".
    There's actually a perfectly valid reason for it: It's a shoujo anime. Interestingly enough shoujo stuff can go a bit further than shounen stuff and oft will (though shounen often shows very copious amounts of ecchi imagery as opposed to shoujo). Why? Who knows. Maybe the girl audience is more mature than the boy audience and their concept of a working relationship isn't that a boy regularly saves a girl from a slavering monster...

I've noticed that seinen "ecchi" series tend to have more of the accidental touching (breasts to the face, etc) and panty shots. The relationships tend to culminate with a kiss, and rarely, intercourse.

Shoujo series start out with kissing and move up from there. They are typically devoid of fanservice (unless you count the bishounen coming out of, say a shower. There's fanservice for the fairer sex.). So there's really nowhere to go but up. Nearly all the manga I've read and any of the series that let it go through culminate relationships with intercourse. Granted, much of it is the "just the right time, just the right moment" sort of thing done in a panel or three, a couple seconds of animation. If you take a look around, some of the more popular series that lack a...tasteful presentation are outright smut.

Nothing wrong with that mind you, and there are exceptions to these generalizations.

I suppose it comes more from the audience they are after. They know the boys who are reading shonen series enjoy the "irredeemable loser enjoys impossibly occurring harem" because otherwise they wouldn't keep publishing so many. In seinen, the focus is usually on more blood and gore, some psychological aspects, and physical relationships (all found in series like GantZ and Berserk). Shoujo series, and moreso in the more mature josei genre, the audience is after juicy relationships, or cute ones, that go through a great deal of drama and end happily.

It's all entertainment after all. Sell to your audience.

Are there anymore animes that are similar to GTO or Salaryman Kintaro?

Is Code Geass worth watching? I heard it's similar to Gundam Seed, which I've watched and loved, but if it's too similar...

You must be joking, right? Code Geass is one of the best series of recent times. I haven't even watched Gundam Seed but I can tell you Code Geass is a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    You must be joking, right? Code Geass is one of the best series of recent times. I haven't even watched Gundam Seed but I can tell you Code Geass is a lot better.
    Well said... I haven't watched Gundam Seed either but I plan on watching it sometime. Cant wait for season 2 ^^.

By the way, what other anime are like Ai Mai Mi ! Strawberry Egg and Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru where the guy attends a girls school or dresses up like a girl for a certain time for several importan circumstances?

There are a lot more manga of the Gender Bender genre than there are animated series. They tend not to be overly popular. Only three come to mind.

Kashimasi ~girl meets girl~ - Wherein Hazumu, a rather effeminate boy in the first place, gets struck by an alien spacecraft and unfortunately (fortunately for the audience), is only able to be brought back to life as a cute girl. (Alternate title: Kasimasi) AniDB

An older series and probably quite difficult to find now:
    Tenshi na Konamaiki: Where Megumi was changed into the "perfect girl" by a demon in a book when he was young, after wishing he would grow up into the "manliest of men." AniDB

And of course, the ubiquitous Ranma 1/2. AniDB

Of course, if you want a wider selection, you can always read manga. There are plenty of series with that sort of thing. List of "Gender Bender" related manga titles

How far into the manga did they go with Ranma 1/2?

It sidetracked really badly around the middle of the series, creating mostly anime original content. The series ended with episode 143: [Boy Meets Mom pt 2] and some of the specials have that particular character featured. The movies of course, have nothing to do with the manga at all, but are amusing nonetheless.

The manga obviously continued on for many volumes after.