Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gundam 00 Episode 01

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    The Anonymous version was good

I like that everyone sees the contradiction of using force to stop war right from the very start.
    Yeah, the anon fansub was the best. GundamS was garbage...

Also, those few comments, especially some coming from people in Celestial Being itself, really let me breath easier after the whole 'we're going to end war' announcement. Realism in my Gundam?

I was getting pretty dismayed. After the bloody and action-packed opening, the Excia comes down and takes great pain to just disable his opponent. Alarm bells went ringing like crazy in my head. I HATE the "we can't kill people" philosophy... But i noticed that at least one of the guy's Lockon sniped exploded rather conclusively, and the Gundam Virtue pilot had no qualms with obliterating that one enemy.

So far I like Lockon and the blond haired 'ace pilot' who was at the AEU Enact demonstration. The captain was funny, and so was the hot chinese chick. I have no problem with the crossdresser, and I'm absolutely in love with his Gundam. The Virtue is big, but that cannon is wicked.

Naturally, I'm reminded of Gundam Wing, especially with the main character. He seems to be Heero Yuy's personality with a jihad child-soldier backstory. At least in Wing the premise started with understandable revolution against the oppressive military government (and revenge)...

I'm hoping for some twists. I'd like to go out on a limb right now and say that Sumeragi, the guy who made the Celstial Being announcement, is going to turn out to be a villain. You can't look that evil and be a good guy, at least not with the angelic intentions he spouted... More like "once we've destroyed all your military power and the system that supports it, I'm taking over"...

I'll keep watching, but it's going to have to shape up quickly...

Also, that Hallelujah guy is already getting on my nerves. As if it wasn't bad enough that your first name is a Christian declaration of faith, you have to go and use it unenthusiasticly in unfitting situations... Go get raped...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

good start... I liked how the overpowered gundams were worked into the story. i also like how AEN sounds like Aeon (and even looks like)

AEN? Do you mean AEU? When they say it, it sounds more like Eiyuu, or hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknodin
    good start... I liked how the overpowered gundams were worked into the story.
    It is nice to have them be ridiculously overpowered because they are new secret technological advancements backed by private money, rather than just absurdly overpowered surrounded (and invincible from dumb luck) by other mobile suits that were supposed to be a dominant weapon.

All the other mobile suits we've seen so far are pretty average, mass-production units, like any tank or airplane.

Dam a good start to this series, hope it keeps up. Though I admit it feels way too much like GundamWing. Im also like the char designs, even the cross dresser doesnt bug me that much. Is it me or is there more *ahem* breast meat in this show then the last few gundams? O.o
    "Be sure to take this piece of $#!t(meant sheet)" - My dynamics professor(heavy japanese accent)

Sig and Avatar by Lucifus
    Current Games: League of Legends(Fuck, its got me hooked again -_-)

I couldn't stop thinking of SEED when watching this episode. But nonetheless, it has a great opening but not so great ending. I'll be keeping up with this series and finally have something to watch.

Am I the only one that has a feeling that when the Gundams get those "angel wings" if that ever does happen, it'll be this series version of Seed's Seed mode?

I'm thinking more of a Hyper mode from G-Gundam..

But the minovski wings of the V Gundam sound plausable too. (They were minovsky wing, right? I don't remember it too clearly)
    Last edited by Harima Kenji; Tue, 10-09-2007 at 05:54 PM.

I didn't watch Seed or Wing, so I at least don't have painful flashbacks from those.

I thought the "wings" in this series was the output of their stealth generators or whatever they are. Anytime they turn those on, it scrambles all the electronics in a pretty large area. It's likely to be some sort of chaff.

I suppose most Mobile Suits have shielding for that, since only their communications are affected. The Gundams obviously use some other method of communication while they use those.

on the other hand, the "wings/light" on the Excia was clearly the propulsion systems, as even the enemy engineer remarked. What the "wings" on the Gundam that descended on the battlefield when Setsuna was still a boy... well, I'm not even sure that's a Gundam we've seen since.

regardless, I'm not a big fan of wings on an MS... The Wing Zero Custom wasn't bad looking with them, but it's just a bit too heavy handed with symbolism for my taste... indeed though, I fear that those wings might signal some kind of "power-up" for the Gundam... And, Harima, I was thinking about the Minovsky (M) Particles too... but from what I remember, they were primarily used for jamming...

They did mention scrambled the enemy defenses, radar and communications before the Excia came in though, so it's likely it has some kind of decent jammer as well (that or the flagship could be doing it, which is quite an achievement for disrupting ground communications from up in orbit)...

Also, the enemy MS were communicating at the same time that Setsuna and Lockon were, so I'm tempted to say they stopped jamming at that point... and if not, it really begs the question of how exactly the jamming works, and how it's overcame.

edit - looked up the Minovsky Particle thing again, and, you're right Harima, it was utilized for propulsion in Victory Gundam... Actually, I was reminded just how much of the Gundam universe is based off of 'Minovsky'... Just about every beam weapon from the UC series!

Here's a link to the very awesome Wiki article on Minovsky Technology in the Universal Century timeline. There are some spoilers here, though mostly about particular components of different mobile suit technology and Gundams. It's a really good read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...novsky_Physics

Which is based off of the real life Minkowski Space which is essentially the classical Euclidean space, plus a dimension for time. This space is the "setting" in relativity comes into play
    Last edited by masamuneehs; Tue, 10-09-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

That place over there........ahh never mind
    Finally got around to watching this episode, pretty good for a first ep. Got to see every gundam do at least one thing and we even got a nod to the orig. gundam(or at least it looked like it) in the beginning.

Very good start.

R.I.P Captain America.

Lol, took too long to post the above, anyway better late than never.

Not a bad start. No messing around with character introduction, just blow something up, lol.

The animation is nice, and I wasn't too surprised at the character designs as I heard they were designed by Yun Kōga (she did them for Loveless, a series with gay catboys. Seriously). So, they're just going strait for the female demographic outright now? Well, I have no complaints. As long as they don't stint on the action. I'll follow this for at least the first few eps for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    Definately a Gundam tradition, Kraco. And don't be too surprised if some of the Gundams seem to be invincible later on in the series. It's pretty much normal.
    They're only overpowering in the beginning where everybody else has crappy generic units, but when they start building "enhanced" units to match the gundams, then suddenly the gundams are overwhelmed and they get an upgrade to some gundam that's ridiculous and may have around 10 cannons...

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

Quote Originally Posted by Spade
    They're only overpowering in the beginning where everybody else has crappy generic units, but when they start building "enhanced" units to match the gundams, then suddenly the gundams are overwhelmed and they get an upgrade to some gundam that's ridiculous and may have around 10 cannons...
    And thats when the plot and action get really good (This is only based on SEED).

checked out the Conclave-Mendoi joint, and I do prefer their translation...

something struck me when watching. First, how the hell did the hot Chinese chick know the Gundams' names? She even knew which unit was stationed outside of the HRL party... Second, the Union didn't get attacked at all, did they?

Third, and biggest, how the FUCK did this 'Sumeragi' guy (same one who delivered the speech, right?) 'predict' that terrorists were going to attack the HRL party? How did he know where and when the AEU was going to demonstrate the Enact? Now, one thing that's never made alot of sense in Gundam is the issue of intelligence. People generally take forever to figure out shit that the viewer could read episodes ago, and sometimes they're just like "oh yeah, i found the enemy's battle formation on Google!".

But how he knew there'd be a terrorist attack on the HRL party... unless he had to do with staging it...

So, yeah, essentially, monocle guy = villian

Quote Originally Posted by Spade
    Per limb...

And yeah, the weird shady guy is definitely the villain. No one just comes out and says "I'm the savior of the world" during the beginning unless they actually have nefarious intentions.

Also, what better way than find passionate pilots (and support crew) willing to do anything. Tell them they're doing it ultimately to "stop" war. I have no doubt most of them have some war-torn past.

So, would that mean we would see at some point Gundams fighting Gundams when some of the group figure out the geezer is in fact a villain yet some refuse to believe it and consider the rebellious ones traitors?