Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Code Geass

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    shinsen has a rep for bad translations?... hmmm i disagree... why?
    everything i watched so far (gundam 00, code geass, macross frontier,kaze no stigma) seemed fine to me... well i cant speak japanese so i have to believe in everyting they write in their subs but.. hmmm that are some news to me

yet on the other hand, i don't mind if someone says "wate" or however it is spoken (the japanese word for *wait*) and they sub it with "hey, you!" or something like that..as long as it is clear what is meant everything is fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    Why isn't gg on your list? I don't remember anyone doing a better job on Geass than then Syndicate AKA Shinsen has a rep for bad translations, but I don't know if that affected their 24-25 subs at all.

Anyway, here's Code Geass - 24-25 - [gg]. It was well seeded (500+) when I copied the link.

@narutosharingan: I never meant to imply that anyone not knowing details about fansubbing was an idiot, however I can't see how anyone who would use the flv player to watch their mkvs could be fully informed about other options. Not having information and not being able to comprehend information are too different things. Now, if you came back and said you couldn't figure out CCCP, then I would think you were an idiot.

That's fair. Now, I do have one question about the CCCP. I currently use ffdshow for my codecs, which hasn't given me any problems. Does CCCP contain all the codecs I need, including the ones from ffdshow? (basically can it run anything without problems). I realize that I'd have to uninstall ffdshow, so I just want to make sure it's ok
    Last edited by narutosharingan; Sun, 01-13-2008 at 08:35 PM.

just do it... it isn't called CCCP for nothing ^^ and even if they miss the codecs from ffdshow you can still reinstall it.. but you won't have to do that anyway.

Isn't ffdshow the default decoder for many formats in CCCP?

I don't use CCCP myself so I don't know but I surely assume so.

If ffdshow is the default decoder, then all of those codecs would be added to CCCP, which is convenient

Yes CCCP actually includes a customized ffdshow install among several other publicly available things. A list of everything it includes can be found here.

You could conceivably install all those things yourself separately and then set them up the same way they are set up automatically by CCCP and get the same benefits. However the CCCP is a short cut to installing and configuring everything your computer might need to be capable of playing anything a fansubber might throw at you with a single installer (except CoreAVC, which I recommend for anyone even if you have the most kick ass computer ever, but that's proprietary so they can't include it).

@Krazy: People who speak Japanese better than you or I have commented to me that Shinsen often takes liberties with subs or have simply done a bad job of writing in the subs what the characters actually said. If you don't care that much about accuracy as long as the central story is more or less intact then obviously Shinsen subs shouldn't bother you (They generally don't bother me). However mistranslation is considered 'bad' translation by a lot of people and Shinsen has a rep (at least among fansub veterans I've talked to ) for putting out 'bad' translations.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Tue, 01-15-2008 at 12:35 PM.

They certainly do tend to cut corners with their translations, but like you, I usually find that it doesn't bother me too much, so long as the mistakes aren't so awful.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33
    s i don't mind if someone says "wate" or however it is spoken (the japanese word for *wait*) and they sub it with "hey, you!" or something like that..as long as it is clear what is meant everything is fine for me
    I believe it's "mate".

:/ ya maybe... i think you are right

the first thing i thought when someone said it in the anime was: "did he just spoke german?" because the german word for "wait" is "warte" and the "R" is often left out when you speak it a bit faster.