Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Problem...

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    If it is rebooting after it posts, then your OS may be messed up and you might need to re-install or repair your OS installation.

I wouldn't recommend using a toothbrush.. The service guy who has fixed my laptop twice ( and bought weed from my roomy) told me to use a fine bristled Horse hair paint brush if I was going to clean it off with something other then canned air. It has to be soft not coarse.

Quote Originally Posted by Killa-Eyez
    To pick up the whining, over here they're € 8,99 too...
    I am gonna buy it though, cause I want this thing working properly again...

Couple of days a go my pc just wouldn't stabilize, it kept on rebooting.
    So yesterday I started a sort of cleaning with a tooth brush, brushing all kinds of dust away. I even opened up the old psu I got, damn that thing has a lot of dust...
    Now it's back to it's old habits (only rebooting after a amount of time and rebooting when watching video files). I'm gonna check my bank account to see if I already have my salary to buy the can with air.
    you need to check your cpu temperatures to see if its an overheating issue to begin with. if it's not that, it could be your OS or even your ram messing up.

it shouldn't be a heat issue if it happens from a cold boot... that would only happen if you've been running the system for a while giving it time to overheat. If you can, try using the hard drive from that system in another just to see if it will boot up, and try to isolate your problem. (if you have spare system / parts to do so)

So what have you done to attempt to fix this besides cleaning dust? Update us.

Well I ordered a new mobo, although I think it's prolly the psu, gonna buy that new 2.
    Could've used the canned air thing but the system isn't that dusty, really, so...
    The mobo is an MSI K7T. Any feedback on that?

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

You didn't even do any troubleshooting and straight away ordered a new motherboard?

Hmm, 10 € for a can compressed air or 17,95 for a mobo...

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.

20 bucks for a mobo? dude wtf? :/
    -----------------

$20..thats a cheap mobo. i found one at frys for 29.99 (ecs p45A-something) POS, only bought for a spare in case the one this guy gave me didn't work.

i'm hopefully getting my computer problems worked out. I bought everything for my new build and had a mobo somebody had given to me, it booted up at first and posted but then after restarting it, it would not power up. a new mobo i had bought did the same thing so, i returned the one i had bought and ordered a new mobo. Got the new mobo the other day, got everything together and it did the same thing, it powers up but there is no display... so now im thinking cpu and i've got it up here at school w\ me so i can swap it out w\ another processor later to test it.

current system specs / parts
    p4 3.0 w\ ht
    gigabyte 775 mobo
    corsair xms2 5400 2gb
    maxtor 750Y0 250gb sata
    antec sonata w\ antec true power 380 psu
    *this is going to be a server to do labs on for my 2003 server class / spare computer*

Yeah, it's cheap, I think it's 2nd hands, dunno really...
    So the initial idea is to get the pc up and running and give it to my mom, buy a another psu and a AthlonXP processor (preferring the 3200+) and give that system to my girlfriend. Spec's for that one's prolly gon' be:

AMD AthlonXP 3200+
    1.280 GB Memory
    MSI K7N2 Delta Mobo
    Maxtor 80 and 300 GB HD
    VGA = dunno yet, a good one for AGP 8X.
    If anyone has recommendations...

I also want to get my self a whole new system with the latest crap in it, but I'll have to work on my budget though.
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Sun, 09-16-2007 at 05:00 PM.

x1950pro is king on the agp field.
    -----------------

darkshadow, i think you recommended the x1950 xt that i'm currently running in my main system

anyhow killa, i'm not sure about certain online retailers shipping to your location... but right now is the best time ever to build a budget pc. You can put together a good setup for around 3-400 usd that would include an x2-3800+ 2gb ddr2 and a decent hard drive.

Ok, so which is it? The X1950 Pro or X1950 XT?
    Well my budget won't be settled till at least next year and if I'm correct, new products are coming to the market... I understand Intel is better then AMD @ the moment? I personally prefer AMD so maybe they'll come up with something better then Intel... Especially now ATI and AMD have somehow merged???

Edit: Nevermind about which VGA, it's the X1950 Pro since the XT is PCI-E...
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Mon, 09-17-2007 at 05:45 AM.

computer problem :

under what cirumstances could one "fry" a cpu?

i had bought a p4 3.0 (631 ?) w\ ht and when i put it into the system it started posting, showing the processor and memory and everything but i didn't have a keyboard or anything plugged in, so i powered off, then back on and after that it would not start up, and wouldn't in the other mobo i had... I RMA the other mobo that i had bought, bought another and just got it this past week and does same thing, so last night i figured out that the cpu is bad and the guy i bought it from suggest that i "fryd it" on the first install... he's going to find one to swap w\ me but still, i am curious how i could have possible fryd this processor.

you can't fry intel p4's and up :/, if you did, you did something terribly wrong, intel cpu's (p4+) simply shutdown the pc if they get too hot, same happened to my quad core recently, when its cooler wasnt properly attached, it reached 119c even a couple of times, but it would just shutdown, no harm done.

Maybe something fucked up in the psu, shorting the cpu (overvolt or something), thats all i can think of.
    -----------------

see, i had been given a motherboard buy a co-worker and when i first installed the cpu w\ my setup it booted up and was posting but i did not have anything plugged in, no hd or keyboard or mouse so i just powered down, then when i powered back up ... nothing. and then on the other mobo... nothing. and the guy i bought it from is suggesting that i "fryd" it... idk, but last night i finally got to test the processor in a working 775 system and it did same thing, computer starts but there is no picture at all, and i put that cpu in my box and it booted up fine so everything else in my box is functional...

Edit:

Budget PC ?
    Antec Sonata I w\ antec truepower 380w psu and dvdrw - $40
    Gigabyte s-series mobo -$60
    Core 2 Duo E4400 - $60
    2gb Corsair XMS2-5400- $60
    250GB Maxtor sata - $40

no vid card because i'm not planning on gaming w\ it.... and if i just wanna test it i will use my x1950xt. but total cost on this pretty sweet system is $240
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Tue, 09-18-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Then you either got a defective cpu, fucked up one of the "pins" or it fucked up due overvolt.
    It cant be anything else.
    -----------------

the guy who sold it to me will hopefully be swapping it out w\ another cpu.... which i dont really need but it will end up making me build another computer HAHA

Anyhow... a new problem arises... i was hoping to dual boot w\ 2003 server and vista on this system i just put together but it is not cooperating with me at all... neither of them allowed me the choice of choosing a directory to install in or anything. I had them on seperate partitions and installed seperately but then it would only boot 2003 server. and i formatted and tried to put vista first then 2003 server but it gives me no boot ... just auto boots to 2003 server now is there a way to do this? or would i have better luck w\ xp / 2003 ? or should i just use 2003 ? (i'm preparing for a 2003 server class, reason for installing it)
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Wed, 09-19-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Dunno why you'd wanna use Vista in the first place, but who am I to talk.
    I have no clue whatsoever but by the looks of things, if it's going to be a server, I'd put Server 2003 on it and leave it at that. But google is your friend though.

Anyway, € 89,- for a 2nd hand Athlon XP 3200+ processor? And don't tell me that how for that money you can buy a 64 processor cause I know.
    It's just that I still have the mobo and it's just lying here... The owner of the CPU is foreign so I think the price could de bargained. I myself think it's a little expensive so my thoughts are to maken an appointment and see the processor @ work, show him the cheapest store price for the CPU, tell him I'd like to have it for 75 and maybe go up to 85 but that's it. Flap around with the money and basically just fill his head with words and confuse him a little bit. Anyone got other pointers?
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Thu, 09-20-2007 at 05:05 AM.