Thread: Firefox wont open any pages

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar

Firefox wont open any pages

ok, all of a sudden firefox will not work and wont bring up any pages. i didn't touch any settings with it or anything and am being forced to use ie7 anybody else have similar problems with firefox?

Might have been the update to 2.0.0.5. When my install auto-updated to this new version, it reset everything including my proxy settings. If you're on a company network, check proxy and connection settings.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

You tried reinstalling Firefox?

If that doesn't work, then... stop touching yourself at night.

uninstall, reinstall... it doesn't work.

i would do sys restore but last time i tried it said it couldn't restore... i'm pretty mad about this, ie sucks but if it is all i have to get on the internet i will have to make due

edit: wasted a good 20 minutes following instructions from firefox support forums... none of it worked... uninstalled firefox, reinstalled it.. nothing.... OMFG
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Sun, 07-22-2007 at 01:36 AM.

Please don't tell me you do IT support for a living.

Did you check proxy/connection settings like I suggested? Reinstalling won't help if your settings are all wrong.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Please don't tell me you do IT support for a living.

Did you check proxy/connection settings like I suggested? Reinstalling won't help if your settings are all wrong.
    Well, i dont see proxy settings at all in the firefox options. it shouldn't update automatically for one, if its working fine. i just changed the proxy settings from direct connect to auto detect proxy settings, and neither works. I did not have anything set up there previously so to me there is no reason why it should not be working.

I deleted the entire firefox directory and reinstalled and still trash, it seems absurd that i would need to do anything further just to get it to work. The people on the firefox forums ahve these instructions for fixing this and they talk in a tone as if you're retarded if you hvaen't followed their steps to fix it, i followed all of them and it still does not work. I dont have a firewall running to block firefox so... wtf

Firefox auto-installs updates (it's a default setting to check for updates on it's own). Mine went to 2.0.0.5 and changed everything to default settings, including homepage and proxy settings.

proxy settings ... there are only 3, direct connect to internet, auto config, and manual config. if i didn't have them manuallly configged before it should work with them as auto.. but it doesn't ... nor as direct connect...

this is seriously mind boggling to me.. and yes i do work tech support lol but this is just bullshit, my computer just decided it did not like firefox... every other computer i have seen w\ 2.0.0.5 works fine... just not mine

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    switch to another browser (Opera), wait for another Firefox upgrade, hope that one does it...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    back up bookmarks.html (bookmarks->organize->file->export), nuke firefox user profile (%appdata%\mozilla\firefox\Profiles\*), reinstall firefox, redo settings, restore bookmarks.html (bookmarks->organize->file->import).

9 times out of 10, firefox problems are caused by user profile corruption.