Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The translation thread

Dang I was translating the colors, but got stuck early on "garu gure". Gull grey?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Same here. It's the only one I'm not sure of.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Awesome! Thanks for working on it, Psyke and Ani

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

No prob. I just remembered I still haven't posted the pics of my old Gundams I promised in the other thread.

Hopefully I'll do it soon, but in the mean time good luck on your Messiah! And post pics when you're done!
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    No prob. I just remembered I still haven't posted the pics of my old Gundams I promised in the other thread.

Hopefully I'll do it soon, but in the mean time good luck on your Messiah! And post pics when you're done!
    Unfortunately, I won't be getting it till later on this year, may around Christmas. I've got a 3 month summer break to work on it, so hopefully it should look alright .

That damn Aussie dollar better climb back up by then, or I'll have to pay a fortune

Alternatively, USD or Yen can drop

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Oh don't worry, the USD is definitely dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Cool thread. Wouldn't the proper sentence structure in Japanese be "All enemies the Dark Lord kills"?

No shows ownership: so Joe no kage means "Joe's shadow" (or something like that)

Wa means is/am

Check out http://www.yesjapan.com/dictionary/ for another useful dictionary.
    Wa DOES NOT mean is/am wa its particle that determines the subject, is/am/are is Desu, for existence we use iru or aru(imasu/arimasu) iru for living things aru for non-living things, and verb is always at the end of sentence(excluding particles - like yo, ga, kara, ne, ka etc)
    No got a lot uses, but mostly you are correct.
    Also we read Ou like prolonged O

Correct me Psyke, if I'm wrong, i might be wrong because i learn Japanese for 2 semesters(now I'm at 3rd one)

ps.
    I hate when some weeaboo reads with English accent desu... its just damn annoying. In Poland we spell the same way as Japanese ( but we got more sounds like ą, ę, ń, ż, ź etc.).

also katakana and hiragana(mostly hiragana from what i seen) above kanji is used to describe it meaning and its called Furikana if i remember correctly
    Last edited by Xelbair; Mon, 10-20-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Well, you can't really find an exact English equivalent for a lot of Japanese characters, especially particles. Even the sentence structure is vastly different, and will serve to confuse if you seek to find the exact English translation, word for word, or character for character.

As for the pronunciation, you can't really blame the rest of the English speaking world. It's how they have been taught to read, because they don't see the Japanese text as broken up into Hiragana characters but a whole word in its entirety.

Furigana is the little hiragana text you see on top of kanji. It's used in complex kanji, or in cases where the pronunciation of the kanji is different/special. It also helps people to learn kanji too, since there are so many kanji with different meanings and pronunciations.

I'm preparing for my level 2 exams this year.

1 line translation

Hi, This might be a rather odd request but i am going to request it anyway.
    Could somebody this sentence to japanese without using an online converter please?

"Because it's good for my future self."

Thanks allot!

Sounds like you should do your own homework kid. You'll never pass Japanese Language 101 if we keep giving you the proverbial fish.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

And try using the translation thread next time.
    -----------------

I am not trying to learn japanese and sorry didn't see a translation thread i did look for a forum section but since there isn't any i thought i would post it in off topic

Dagara wa ureshii watashi da mirai
    Last edited by Assertn; Sat, 11-22-2008 at 02:03 PM.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

That looks like it came from an online translation site Assertn. Didn't he expressly ask that you not do that??

That sounds correct for a literal word to word translation (besides swapping happy for good which would make sense for the context), though unsure about the syntax.
    Last edited by animus; Sat, 11-22-2008 at 02:30 PM.

my japanese is still not good enough to help you, but from the top of my head i would guess:
    "Datte are wa ii desu de mirai no jibun"

Let's just wait for Psyke to give the correct answer ;P
    -----------------

It's hard to translate something without knowing the context from one language to another, as the meaning may be lost in translation although the words mean the same thing. I'm much better at translating from Japanese to English, but my guess would be:

"Mirai no jibun ni ii dakara." 未来の自分に良いだから。

haha....i just pulled words i recognized and made up the rest. Meh

Quote Originally Posted by animus
    Oh don't worry, the USD is definitely dropping.
    orly? http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...USD&amt=1&t=1y

lol...USD is the strongest against AUD it's been in the past 5 years
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Thanks allot guys,
    It doesn't have to be perfect its the thought it represents.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    It's hard to translate something without knowing the context from one language to another, as the meaning may be lost in translation although the words mean the same thing. I'm much better at translating from Japanese to English, but my guess would be:

"Mirai no jibun ni ii dakara." 未来の自分に良いだから。
    I always try to overly complex word by word translate to japanese >_<, which is weird cause I understood your line perfectly, meh i need more lessons.
    -----------------