Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie: Cloverfield

Movie: Cloverfield

Since part of the Transformers thread has now derailed into a semi-discussion on the yet-unnamed J.J. Abrams Project trailer (with the working project name of Cloverfield) I figured it deserved it's own discussion thread. For those unfamiliar with it, the preview, which is shown in a kind of "Blair Witch" handcam-style, shows a group of people partying and then all hell breaks loose. They run to the outside, where they see a series of explosions. Not much more is known about the movie other than that. Seems like it will be good though.

While Wikipedia can sometimes be off the mark, it seems like a good compilation of info on the Cloverfield project:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

I saw a really crappy video of the trailer and only interesting thing was the explosion and some strange noises. If its produced by J.J. Abrams then I'm in. I want to see transformers too =( (patiently waiting for a decent copy to be released on the net...)

Taken from the J.J. Abrams Wiki page:
    A post on Ain't It Cool News shed more light on the project, saying it involved an alien/monster called "The Parasite" and the movie is filmed with handheld cameras[4], on July 09, 2007, an HD trailer for this movie was was released titled 1-18-08 [5].

Quote Originally Posted by Foomanchew24
    I saw a really crappy video of the trailer and only interesting thing was the explosion and some strange noises. If its produced by J.J. Abrams then I'm in. I want to see transformers too =( (patiently waiting for a decent copy to be released on the net...)
    cheapass, its the greatest movie in history, go see it in the theater.
    -----------------

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i'm slightly looking forward to this... it was the trailer at Transformers that caught my eye, but the more I see, the more it looks like a typical 'Armaggedon monster' movie... It did catch my interest, but I'm not really keen on watching a whole bunch of modern day yuppies running around screaming, crying and being like 'OMG what's happening?' for 90+ minutes...

I sincerely hoped that the trailer covered only like the first 20 minutes of the film or so, as I'd quickly get sick of watching the goodbye party (excellent way to establish characters, i'll admit) and the whole initial 'shock' value of The Parasite's attack can't last that long...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    cheapass, its the greatest movie in history, go see it in the theater.
    You say cheapass like it is an insult. Sorry if I dont have the extra time to go see a movie when I want like you but I also have three kids and a wife. Resposiblities>watching movie at the theater(I did however go to see Surfs Up with my son a couple weeks ago) Also I pay a decent amount of money for my internet connection thats owwned by media companies, therefore I feel that allows me to use it to download and watch any media I would like to that is on the net. Also, I only watched the trailer and not the Transformer movie, there is no good copy of it out that I would waste my bandwith on to Download.

Please be more considerate towards others before you start calling people names that may or may not actually represent who they are.

That place over there........ahh never mind
    I'll post what I posted on another site:

Got this over from Gametrailers, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBoy92551
    In Jewish belief, Behemoth is the primal unconquerable monster of the land, as Leviathan is the primal monster of the waters of the sea and Ziz the primordial monster of the sky. 1) The first monster roar is accompanied by an earthquake (Behemoth)
    2) The second monster roar is accompanied by a huge fireball (Leviathan, for it can breathe fire)
    3) The third monster roar is accompanied by the flying Statue of Liberty head (Ziz).
    Not convinced?
    The guy who says "maybe we can get a better view from the roof" has the Slusho logo on his shirt. Slusho is a classic J.J. Abrams icon, and it has appeared in both Alias and Lost, which are his shows.
    Slusho.jp has, by now, been confirmed as a part of the viral marketing campaign revolving around 1-18-08. Japan. Strangely enough, the character Rob, who is present in the trailer, was gonna fly to Japan a day after that party and the monster events.
    Let's have a look around on that site. Not all pages are accessible. But there is an odd feature about the pages that are available. The main page background is on land, the Downloads page background is on air, and the History page background is on sea.
    Furthermore, the six buttons on the main page cause popups of various animals, namely a Horse, a Whale
    these are the three monsters supposedly:

And a new poster recently came out:

If you look at the poster you can see a trail leading to the city.
    Last edited by Knives122; Thu, 07-26-2007 at 05:21 PM.

R.I.P Captain America.

Was wondering why there wasn't more discussion about this movie. I find it funny and cool how the movie is being marketed and how the whole plot has been kept secret pretty much. Seeing how people around the internet keep speculating on what the movie is going to be about, etc, will probably guarantee this movie is a success. As a prequel to the movie, some "fake news" have been introduced... you can see video footage around the internet in various languages.

Here are a couple of sites with such videos:
    http://1-18-08.blogspot.com/
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/06/...red-by-slusho/

This is also a nice site to visit that has a "game" in it with pictures time stamped, and you can move the pictures around to re-arrange them etc. Nothing much, but some good marketing in my opinion:
    http://www.1-18-08.com/

There are also a ton of sites that claim to be related to the movie, but we don't know if that's true or not... the hype in the internet for this movie seems huge.

yeah thats some really nice stuff, i really like the poster too.
    -----------------

It's this decade's Blair Witch Project. Hopefully it at least comes off as natural as that movie despite being a lot less genuine in its production.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Y
    It's this decade's Blair Witch Project. Hopefully it at least comes off as natural as that movie despite being a lot less genuine in its production.
    god, me and my friends were discussing this movie last night (and whether or not we'd see it) and that's almost exactly what I said, that it looks like it's the Blair Witch of the Godzilla genre...

all i want to know is what kind of monster the thing is. I'd be shocked if I went and saw this in theatres, but I'm curious... I'm thinking it's some kind of space spider, since that hasn't really been done yet

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Mon, 01-14-2008 at 05:19 PM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Looks like Godzilla meets Tremors meets Jurassic Park.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Yeah. I remember a long time ago they had this really awesome looking fanart going around where the monster was a whale-squid thing. That was awesome.

I'm actually a little disappointed with this design, if it's as accurate as people say it is. It's a little more bland than I was imagining.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

well if it is going to be three monsters, then theres till one we haven't seen. Infact, it almost seems like the fan art os of just one monster, namely the behemoth. In one of the pictures, there seems to be a long tail that i attributed to the sea monster earlier, but it could just be a diff variation of the behemoth monster.

Anyway, i like the designs, they seem very 'ancient' and foreboding...i dont want just an ugly/scary looking monster, i want something with a presence. something that makes you go "that mofo crawled strait outta hell"

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    well if it is going to be three monsters, then theres till one we haven't seen. Infact, it almost seems like the fan art os of just one monster
    It is just one monster. There's only one monster in the movie...

Here's the whale-inspired fanart I was talking about earlier. Personally I prefer this to what I'm seeing in the new sketches:

Just watched this movie, and it was ok.

Some pretty funny parts in the movie, and shit parts, I was getting dizzy watching it.

Not the best movie out there.

I've never had an interest in these types of movies. "A monster attacks Earth".... That just sounds so lame and boring.

I just got back from this. Pretty amazing overall in my opinion.

I was actually surprised at how good a look you get at the monster. I had heard it was just glimpses here and there, but you get a really good look about 4 times.

Anyway, ignoring everything else, the movies presentation was pretty fantastic. I'd recommend that if anyone is planning on seeing it, see it in a theater. I don't think it would have the same effect otherwise. Despite what you think about the rest of the movie, it's very entertaining. They do a really good job of making you feel as if you're right there where all the shit is happening. Otherwise the characters were pretty good and I liked the plot. There is something about it that I can't put my finger on that rubbed me the wrong way, but otherwise it was awesome.

I've never seen Blair Witch so I can't compare, but this movie is definitely a ride.

Hiding under a bridge is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

***SPOILERS*************************************** ******

I had originally thought the clip at the very end of the movie was supposed to be like a week after the incident, and that Rob and the girl had survived and was apparently at an amusement park. Then I realized it was just part of the original video that was being taped over. That changed the mood from hopeful to depressing really quickly

Oh and also....
    I just read from rotten tomatoes that if you watch that amusement park scene carefully, you'll see something fall from the sky into the ocean. Perhaps this explains the monster's origin?

Last edited by Assertn; Sat, 01-19-2008 at 04:44 AM.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07