Thread: Vista file-type icons

Vista file-type icons

My new laptop has Vista installed. I can't find a way to change the icons of a file-type... anyone knows how to do it? Or do any of you know of a good third party program for Vista that lets you do it?

Not sure if you found a solution by now or not, but anyway, I remember that my cousin was looking for this too. Apparently you can either mod the registry or download a third party tool for it, there's no inbuilt option in Vista to do it. He used Vista Manager. It's only a 15 day trial though(I'm certain there's a crack out there), but changes made doesn't disappear when it runs out. There's a bunch of other programs saying they do it as well, but as I don't have Vista this is the only one I know works well.(I take his word for it). Other programs might still be better.
    Vista Manager

Object desktop doesnt work for Vista?

Jounin
    I have Vista and I can change the Icons of every file I choose to.

For the individual files, I right click.... choose properties... and click the shortcut tab and in there it will have a button that says "Change Icon."

If you're talking about how to view them, I just open documents or any folder and click "Views."

Now if you're talking about Desktop, Right click the desktop and click on "View" to change the size of the icons on desktop. :/

I hope it helps, if you havent figured it out by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill
    I have Vista and I can change the Icons of every file I choose to.

For the individual files, I right click.... choose properties... and click the shortcut tab and in there it will have a button that says "Change Icon."

If you're talking about how to view them, I just open documents or any folder and click "Views."

Now if you're talking about Desktop, Right click the desktop and click on "View" to change the size of the icons on desktop. :/

I hope it helps, if you havent figured it out by now.
    You're not chaging the icon of a file-type... you're changing an icon of a shortcut, which is different.

Anyways, I'll take a look at that Vista Manager tool and see how it works out.