Thread: Password Protected computer?

Password Protected computer?

Im not that good with computers, and I just wanted to ask someone if they knew a program or windows configuration which prevents other people who touch my computer to turn it off without a password. I know how to put a password when the computer is in screensaver mode, but I am wondering if there is something that prevents someone from turning off my laptop by just holding down the power button (without a password). Can anyone help me out?

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    i dont think that is possible.

holding the power button will power it off... just like taking the battery out of it... i dunno what you're trying to accomplish.

I second the above that button is generally a hardware control. You can always use the button to turn off a computer if you hold it down long enough. But I think you can change the behavior of the button initially by Right Clicking on the Desktop, going to the Screen Saver tab and clicking on Power. Since you aren't good with computers I'm assuming you use Windows.

As to what your doing Imagine if you locked up your OS and had a password keeping you from rebooting...what would you do then?

EDIT: It seems this line

Since you aren't good with computers I'm assuming you use Windows.

Touched off a Mac vs PC battle, and I didn't mean it like that, I use windows and the explanation I gave was for a windows machine. I'd have no idea what to do if he was using a Mac or running Linux and since he said he's not good with computers I figured I'd be specific. I just commented that he would have to be running Windows for my solution to be viable.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Tue, 07-03-2007 at 03:31 PM.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    Warning: I will not take any responsibly if you do the following. You do this on your own free will and will like a good computer user have a back-up if things don't go the way you want.

This is possible if you have Windows XP Pro (not sure if they ever added this to home)

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment ->shut down system

Right click and go to Properties, from here you remove the users group.

What this does is it makes any user that is not the admin unable to shut the computer off. This assumes that the other users of the computer don't have admin rights. If they do then simply they can bypass this all and will always have the same settings as you do

In the case you ask this because you leave your torrents on and your parents and/or roomates shut your computer down the above will not help you at all, Because frankly the power cord can be removed too you know?

and the only solution to that is get your ass out of that place...
    Last edited by Deadfire; Tue, 07-03-2007 at 12:26 AM.
    image fail!

haha thanks for the great replies, and yes, i do downloads and i find it extremely annoying when my family member pauses my downloads and touches my computer.
    My comp is not a mac, i think its just regular PC, and its a laptop so my computer wont turn off even if they pull the power cord out because of battery which will last for 2 more hours