Thread: BSOD / omfg

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar

BSOD / omfg

So, i recently overhauled my computer. went from an athlon 3400+ w\ 1gb ram to a gigabyte s series am2 mobo w\ X2 4800+ and 2gb of corsair xm2 ram. After a few hard drive issues, i wound up with a fresh windows install that is working fine with everything except for utorrent.

luckily when i dl'd bleach last night it ran at 350-400 and finished before the computer blue screened.... for some reason when i run utorrent i get a blue screen, and the most recent one referenced ' Kmixer.sys' Which i have googled trying to find an asnwer.. i wll now complete this post in case it blue screens as utorrent has now been running for 3-4 minutes.

edit: just seconds after typing that 3-4 minute part, it bsod'd again... i took out the ram and put them in slot 3and4 and am now running utorrent to test.

please, if anybody else has had a similar problem, let me know.
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Thu, 05-10-2007 at 11:44 PM.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    When you give us some more information on that blue screen, or even better anything else at all. I'll be will to look in to it

As it stands right now you have given me nothing to go on

A windows computer blue screens have almost infinite amount of possibilities
    image fail!

Kmixer.sys errors tend to be memory problems. Test your RAM modules individually.

Does Windows have Error Reporting activated? If so, it should be sending a report every time it reboots from a crash.

Does the problem only occur when you run uTorrent? Because that would be a huge clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    Does the problem only occur when you run uTorrent? Because that would be a huge clue.
    ok... so i switched out the ram into slots 3 and 4 and thought it fixed, however running utorrent a little while ago produced another instant restart... making me now think that it is weird how sometimes it just restarts.. and sometimes it actually locks and shows me the blue screen.

anyhow, for the past hour and a half or so i have been dl'ing with bit comet which is currently running at 284 d 198 u so.... i think it is just utorrent

further testing and updates will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by bbaucom
    ok... so i switched out the ram into slots 3 and 4 and thought it fixed, however running utorrent a little while ago produced another instant restart... making me now think that it is weird how sometimes it just restarts.. and sometimes it actually locks and shows me the blue screen.

anyhow, for the past hour and a half or so i have been dl'ing with bit comet which is currently running at 284 d 198 u so.... i think it is just utorrent

further testing and updates will follow.
    Did you try running each RAM module individually like I suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket
    Does Windows have Error Reporting activated? If so, it should be sending a report every time it reboots from a crash.
    i have sent the error reports but microsoft has no answers...

Last night i went to bitcomet and it is working fine... so im hoping to have isolated the problem to utorrent and not my hardware. kinda sucks cause i like utorrent alot, but if bit comet is going to work then i will just have to stick with it.

he didnt want you to send the report, he wants you to post the details here
    -----------------

My current state of mind is that i'm just going to forget utorrent existed if it is going to make my computer blue screen when i run it. This morning I downloaded 2 episodes of smallville via BitComet with avg dl speed of 910 and 912/kbps, kinda quick. BitComet seems to gather and connect to peers/seeds alot faster than utorrent did for me. I still have to try to consolidate alot of stuff off of my different hard drives though and burn alot of things to dvd when i get a chance.

edit: bitcomet is a fix for me to dl stuff... but it doesn't seed very well and i think i might just need a new router because mine wont take the firmware upgrade they have on the website.... it kicks off when i get too many packets coming in... blah
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Wed, 05-23-2007 at 04:38 PM.