Thread: In the news today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    may not be as far off as you think. Islamism is, at least to westerners and people not fond of sharia, a bad thing. An islamist (or, ostensibly former-islamist) candidate being pressured to withdraw is ... well, it's better than a moderate candidate being similarly pressured, at least.

I mean ... you'd hope the democratic process would prevail, but it often doesn't.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    comp, your hesitation makes my feelings even stronger than before.

honestly, if the people elect a religious leader, how is that any less legit than electing a "secular" leader? And I put that title in quotes in reference to an IRC convo earlier today. I mean, honestly, if people want Shariah law, give them Shariah law. That's how republican government is supposed to operate anyhow...

@ Kraco: glad you're watching LOGH, but not sure exactly what the hell you're learning from it...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

I think the problem would be how can you realisticaly have a religion based government for the short term. I'm no Islam expert but I think the rules are supposed to be static for the long haul.

Also a religious government might make life very uncomfertable for secular people. More uncomfortable then say, a Republican controlled government for Democrats was. Even if more than half wanted it, if it was only a slim margin would it be fair to force all the laws of Islam on non believers all at once (this is a very unlikely scenario i realize)?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    I think the problem would be how can you realisticaly have a religion based government for the short term. I'm no Islam expert but I think the rules are supposed to be static for the long haul.
    The rules of Islam, i.e. the Sharia, is are adaptable to face new realities. A whole process called Ijtihad exists for applying Sharia texts to new situations e.g. what is Islam's positions on cloning, nano-technology etc. Its a large area of discussion, and the way laws are derived is quite detailed. If you want more info let me know, or google it.

Also a religious government might make life very uncomfertable for secular people. More uncomfortable then say, a Republican controlled government for Democrats was. Even if more than half wanted it, if it was only a slim margin would it be fair to force all the laws of Islam on non believers all at once (this is a very unlikely scenario i realize)?
    If you look at the situation in Turkey right now its pretty safe to say the Turkish establishment are secular fundementalists. They do not for example tolerate women wearing headscarves in public places like universities. Plus the military has a history of launching coups to get rid of elected governments which it thought were too Islamic for its liking, which shows its disdain for the choice of the people. As for the current crises, despite the big rallies in Turkey for secularism, everybody is predicting that the so called 'Islamist' party will easily win the next election which has been called early to settle this political deadlock. This clearly shows where the majority of Turkish people are leaning towards, despite military sponsored marches. And that's the reason why the government has called the elections early, so that it can get a new mandate and push through its candidate for President.

As for non-Muslims living in a State governed by Sharia law, I'm afraid the current so called 'Islamic' republics/emirates/monarchies/dictatorships are not good examples to use for what life is like under Sharia as these states are not based on Sharia law. Only a Khilafah or Caliphate is based on Sharia law alone. The last Caliphate happened to be in Turkey in what was known in the West as the Ottoman Empire and the East as the Uthmani Khilafah. Non-Muslims were treated well under the Caliphate. I think the best example is how Jews were treated. Today people think there is now way Jews can live in a State governed by Sharia law, yet during the Inquisition they fled from Spain to Istanbul (then Constantinople), the seat of the Caliphate. They eventually got settled in to society and got pretty wealthy too. The synagogues in Turkey today are a legacy of the Caliphate, which was destroyed 1924.

Some brawd brought her dad to prom, guess she coulden't get a date.
    http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/cnn_freevi...577/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by SK
    Some brawd brought her dad to prom, guess she coulden't get a date.
    http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/cnn_freevi...577/index.html
    Uhh 4 months? Ya pretty tragic.
    I only see my parents like, two weeks a year.

Probably not the most exciting piece of content in the In the news today thread.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by AssertnFailure
    Probably not the most exciting piece of content in the In the news today thread.
    You're right, probably not as good as "Why use a controller when you can control your video games with your brain" or the story of the "Ghost Yacht." You're still a shitposter Assertn