Page 73 of 159 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Dinosaurs made from chicken embryo? That would be strange, in a dangerous way.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

What's dangerous about it? It would only be cool, though by just making a couple of alterations it would probably still look nothing like a dinosaur, only a mutated chicken with some dinosaur traits (assuming his theory holds true).

I'm probably overthinking about the possibility that the creatures could go out of control, depending on their growth (and what the scientists decide to do with them, hopefully nothing negative). I wouldn't like to see a huge dinosaur-chicken walking around and causing havoc, though it would be amusing for a few seconds.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadouku
    Dinosaurs made from chicken embryo? That would be strange, in a dangerous way.
    Dangerous?!

see movie: Jurassic Park

user posted image

Well, if memory serves, the dinosaurs escape from their containment when the power turns off and start destroying things around them, whether it's other dinosaurs or humans. That's kind of dangerous, I'd say.

Anyway, turning trash into art! Something that certainly has been done before, but this one just looks very cool. Check it out:

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/arie...tner=yahoobuzz
    Last edited by Nadouku; Thu, 08-27-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Added a news link.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadice
    Dangerous?!

see movie: Jurassic Park
    Well hopefully Jurassic Park taught us all something.....get an Uninterpretable Power Supply

Well, this is an experimentation after all, so it's not like they're putting a few dozen exotic species for display to the public. Small scale, contained environments should make extermination of the subject an easy job should the need arise.

Don't forget that the entire point of the experiment is to show that we can derive a dinosaur from chicken genes because they're related. They just need to make it into something like a dinosaur. You don't need a 4 story T-Rex to prove your point.

Though it would be very convincing proof.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I'm pretty sure the farthest they plan to go with it (at least for the next 50 years), would be to create an embryo that has dinosaur DNA. You guys are wigging out over velociraptors running around.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

There is nothing dangerous about it. No dinosaur would escape. That is just ridiculous.

*cues jurassic park music*

I remember the movie saying that the dinosaur DNA were infused with some other common animal's but can't recall and I'm lazy to find out. Still, Assertn is correct in the sense that it's still a long long way off.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    *cues jurassic park music*

I remember the movie saying that the dinosaur DNA were infused with some other common animal's but can't recall and I'm lazy to find out. Still, Assertn is correct in the sense that it's still a long long way off.
    I'm pretty sure you're right. You need an embryo or a Zygote (forgot which, something post-conception anyway) for the base for you to clone with. You just suck the DNA out of whatever it was, and stick your desired DNA in, and you get a dinosaur.

I think they were infused with Frog Eggs

Yeah I remember now. Some species had gender altering abilities and hence the dinosaurs were able to reproduce. Well, all good to know in case they really create a park in the future.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

I think they were actually planning to use that explicit technique to recreate mammoths (using elephant zygotes). But I guess they never found chromosomes in a good enough condition, even from the permafrost.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    This is a few days old... girl kidnapped in 1991 freed after 18 years captivity. Kidnapper/child molester fathered 2 of her children who were freed with her... They've never been to school or to the doctor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8228180.stm

"Suspicions had been aroused when Mr Garrido, who has a printing business, was seen acting suspiciously towards the children as he tried to enter the University of California, Berkeley, campus to hand out religious literature"

It's sick and ironic that sick, disturbed people like this are religious.

Faith can be a very dangerous thing.

What's different about the entire thing now is that the girl sees her kidnapper as her family, since he fathered her children, and has been the only human she's probably known for the last two decades.

Kidnapping's a criminal offense, so she's got no say against the State prosecuting him (unless she denies the kidnapping took place), but it's just weird when the victim sides with the alleged criminal.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    all the news stories I've read about it refer to him as a rapist, when he's clearly a child molester. I mean... both are rape, but child molestation is clearly the worse offense.

Todays news : Disney buys Marvel for $4 billion.... What recession ?!~

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090831/..._entertainment

They better not start to fuck shit up with the awesomeness that is Marvel.

"Always be yourself... unless you suck."

Quote Originally Posted by itadakimasu
    all the news stories I've read about it refer to him as a rapist, when he's clearly a child molester. I mean... both are rape, but child molestation is clearly the worse offense.

Todays news : Disney buys Marvel for $4 billion.... What recession ?!~

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090831/..._entertainment
    Oh shit.

Funny I read about this here first. Went to check google finances just now to see that my stock in Marvel is now up 26% today. lol.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    Funny I read about this here first. Went to check google finances just now to see that my stock in Marvel is now up 26% today. lol.
    Are you going to sell now or wait for the reaction when the next X-Men movie will have a cameo by Mickey Mouse?