Page 66 of 159 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage
    But ruining the life of this one woman wont even stop a majority of leechers. It really just ruins her life.
    Nah, she'll just have her wages garnered for the rest of her life. She can stop smoking or get her Big Mac without cheese to cover the cost.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    To help prove my point on "piracy" and "illegal downloads" I just went to amazon and bought a cd for $0.01 + $2.98 shipping.

Downloaded the cd a long time ago, and hey... I like it. So when I own the cd will it make any difference? Is anybody going to split that penny with the RIAA?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Nah, she'll just have her wages garnered for the rest of her life. She can stop smoking or get her Big Mac without cheese to cover the cost.
    That's a bit insensitive I think. She's certainly guilty if she's found to download/share music without permission. The problem isn't whether she committed a crime. We'll leave the court to that one. It's the punishment that we can't agree with.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    That's a bit insensitive I think. She's certainly guilty if she's found to download/share music without permission. The problem isn't whether she committed a crime. We'll leave the court to that one. It's the punishment that we can't agree with.
    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. It's not like she didn't know what she was doing is wrong and the potential penalties. If she didn't know... well, ignorance of the law is not a valid defense.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

heck, the punishment for killing someone (in a non-direct way, like selling them rotten food or maltreatment) would have probably been lighter.

how does that make sense?

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z
    how does that make sense?
    People dying of food poisoning don't have RIAA persecuting the suspects. That's the definite difference.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. It's not like she didn't know what she was doing is wrong and the potential penalties. If she didn't know... well, ignorance of the law is not a valid defense.
    Of course not, but that's not the point.

On what grounds did the RIAA base the astronomical compensation on anyway? If she wasn't sharing files, they couldn't say her downloading alone was responsible for that. Even more absurd if they're making her pay for "all those other illegal downloads" by other people.

"Making an example of" by raising the fine is the most absurd of all.

PS: wtf was her defense lawyer doing? Is it really that hard to dissuade the judge/jury that an illegally downloaded song isn't worth what, $8000 each or something?

Unfortunately there are cases where examples being made are necessary for the broader message, such as when people are put to death. I have a buddy who was made an example of in a court of law because everyone thought he would get off easy due to his status in society. Unfortunately for him, sometimes fame works for you, sometimes it doesn't. Similarly, sometimes anonymity works against you as well, and they throw you under the truck. In the end, my buddy realized he f*cked up and paid the price, and instead of getting upset with the system (which I'll agree is f*cked up), he looked at his own culpability in this mess.

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
    What are you, 80? The RIAA going after one person or 100 people isn't helping anything. How many people do any of you know seriously stopped downloading because this woman was sued? Making an example of someone or letting someone off easy because they have money and/or status makes a mockery of the legal process.

I really hope you don't ever go down like this over something so mild. Extra cheese on her Big Mac, indeed.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

i read about some 15 year old kid that's supposed to be sentenced to up to 150 years in prison for killing like, 8 neighborhood cats.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    What are you, 80? The RIAA going after one person or 100 people isn't helping anything. How many people do any of you know seriously stopped downloading because this woman was sued? Making an example of someone or letting someone off easy because they have money and/or status makes a mockery of the legal process.

I really hope you don't ever go down like this over something so mild. Extra cheese on her Big Mac, indeed.
    Nah, but I do plan to become a police officer, if that makes you understand my position any better.

How many people do any of you know seriously stopped downloading because this woman was sued?
    Well if and when the RIAA goes after these others, they can't say they weren't warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    i read about some 15 year old kid that's supposed to be sentenced to up to 150 years in prison for killing like, 8 neighborhood cats.
    If some kid killed my pet, I'd chop his leg off, and that'd be him getting off easy.

Nah, but I do plan to become a police officer, if that makes you understand my position any better.
    If some kid killed my pet, I'd chop his leg off, and that'd be him getting off easy.
    Sounds like a short career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Sounds like a short career.
    Well the kid can't say he wasn't warned (if he visits gotwoot).

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    I really doubt he'll serve much time if any. The look that little bastard has on his mugshot makes me want to set him on fire.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Wait, that's real? I thought it was just a joke.

Well actually I don't feel for that asshole. At all.

This is a first that I've seen this. Was that kid mentally ill or something?
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/...koreas_nuclear

So... this is a little disturbing to me. I know George Bush is no longer in office but if we pre-emptively attacked a mostly quiet iraq... wtf do we do when N Korea says they're going to nuke us if we attack them?

Awesome user with default custom title Jman's Avatar
    Anyone watching the news atm? Apparently Michael Jackson's been rushed to the hospital: cardiac arrest. Not much details yet.

Formerly known as 'Animemaster'

Quote Originally Posted by Jman
    Anyone watching the news atm? Apparently Michael Jackson's been rushed to the hospital: cardiac arrest. Not much details yet.
    Michael Jackson dies
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07