Page 150 of 159 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Nah, someone probably just showed them one of Ani's old post. Zing!
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

The lead story for the noon news in the one-horse bumfuck town I live in: George Jones died today.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Sony patent that requires user interaction to skip commercials or place orders using your TV:http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/...?iid=obnetwork

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Sound just like that one episode of the UK's hit TV show Black Mirror.

I wish I thought of itttt!
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Sound just like that one episode of the UK's hit TV show Black Mirror.

I wish I thought of itttt!
    Wow, that does sound a lot like Black Mirror (from what I've just read of BM). I'll have to find that series on Netflix or somewhere to watch it. That's clever, how computer/tablet/phone screens are "black mirrors".

I know the show creator said the title is interpreted like that, but I always felt like the "black mirror" was a representation of the worst part of ourselves; the people we could very well be, and sometimes are.

Israel attacked a weapons research center near the Syrian capital.

Syria is threatening war, but the deadline passed with no action.

Iran is threatening to "annihilate" Israel if they invade Syria.

BBC reports on the event.

Apparently the Syrian rebel army is also using this chance to attack and there's report of up to 8,000 deaths. Information is very unclear right now, because U.S news is a joke and most of the info coming out are from social networking sites.

Major tornado hit Oklahoma

51 confirmed deaths and could reach as high as 91.

Video showing the massive tornado.

I know the show creator said the title is interpreted like that, but I always felt like the "black mirror" was a representation of the worst part of ourselves; the people we could very well be, and sometimes are.
    I can't believe I let this one past me. Black mirror as the worst of ourselves? Why it gotta be black??

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon View Post

They say it's only going to get worse as long as we continue destroying the planet. Storms are going to be bigger and badder, damage will be greater, death tolls will be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I can't believe I let this one past me. Black mirror as the worst of ourselves? Why it gotta be black??
    ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Oh shiiiiiiiiiiii--

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon View Post

Video showing the massive tornado.
    This... is insane. I guess the only thing to do would be to re-in-force tornado safe areas such as underground cellars and bunkers in tornado-prone zones? What about the people who weren't on a PC or watching TV at the moment and couldn't even see the warning? That's the scary thing...

I hope we can develop better hazardous weather alert systems, soon. For example, tornado alarms? (Similar to CO2 & fire alarms)
    Last edited by Sapphire; Tue, 05-21-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post

They say it's only going to get worse as long as we continue destroying the planet. Storms are going to be bigger and badder, damage will be greater, death tolls will be higher.
    What else would it be, purple. Seriously if any color embodies evil it is purple.

Honestly, its not that bad so far. I hope I live long enough to see effects of the global climate shifts they expect will occur in the next 50 years are so.
    This... is insane. I guess the only thing to do would be to re-in-force tornado safe areas such as underground cellars and bunkers in tornado-prone zones? What about the people who weren't on a PC or watching TV at the moment and couldn't even see the warning? That's the scary thing...

I hope we can develop better hazardous weather alert systems, soon. For example, tornado alarms? (Similar to CO2 & fire alarms)
    Not really going to do much. Nature is beautiful in its total disregard for everything, besides humans need something to keep their arrogance in check. I love tornadoes, have ever since I was a child. I saw a waterspout as a kid and it is still one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Nature kills, it is a fact of life. This guy I knew, the younger brother of one of my father's coworkers actually, was struck by lightning while out on his boat. I hear it was pretty messy his internal organs were liquefied and began bubbling out of his body. I was not at all interested in seeing it though and it wasn't even a stormy day just overcast.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula View Post
    What else would it be, purple. Seriously if any color embodies evil it is purple.
    I think red is pretty evil (USSR/China). Purple is the color of royalty (in Roman and Anglo-Saxon circles).

Not really going to do much. Nature is beautiful in its total disregard for everything, besides humans need something to keep their arrogance in check. I love tornadoes, have ever since I was a child. I saw a waterspout as a kid and it is still one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Nature kills, it is a fact of life. This guy I knew, the younger brother of one of my father's coworkers actually, was struck by lightning while out on his boat. I hear it was pretty messy his internal organs were liquefied and began bubbling out of his body. I was not at all interested in seeing it though and it wasn't even a stormy day just overcast.
    Shit I hope your dad's coworker is ok. That sounds pretty dangerous going out on a boat in a thunderstorm.

Yes they did give red a bad image but I think purple is much stronger especially in the western world because of its association with Roman and Anglo-saxon royalty, particularly with the Catholic church back when they tried to rule the world.

Eh, this was a few years ago, he got over it. It is the way you deal with freak sudden deaths like that, you either fall apart or eventually you just accept it and get through it. He did not go out in a storm though, that was the thing. It was a pretty fair day weather wise, there was just a lot of cloud cover, I don't even remember it raining. Just wrong place at the wrong time which is usually how such things happen.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Ha, you missed where I intentionally asked if your dad's dead coworker was ok after being struck by lightning and having his innards liquefied. Or did I miss you intentionally pretending to miss my ruse?

I didn't miss it Ani, I was just musing at how bizarre the whole thing was.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Food Swappers

I found this article infuriating. Not because of the bartering system being used, but because the event takes two hours, and everyone involved makes tasting samples and everyone gets to sample a bit of everything before the actual barter stage begins. It's theater or pot-luck party, masquerading as a farmer's market "without the trappings" of currency.

The whole scenario reeks of a 1st World Solution in search of a problem. Only wealthy, well-fed people with a lot of free time can afford to waste two hours playing around, pretending to be farmers and tradespeople bartering wares.

A distinctly affluent urbanite phenomenon.

(In case you don't believe me on that last bit: Locations)

It certainly sounds bad when she says she was baking more bread and cakes than her family could eat so she decided to trade it online for something else. Then they mention that there is so much extra food from people bringing surplus supplies and making things days beforehand just so they can swap it. It also mentions that they sometimes go a step further and just start sharing meals they have cooked, called it a community dinner. They also mentioned clothes swapping. Me wonders if there are not homeless shelters, and people who could really benefit from such things instead of Laura going home with loads of wild garlic. She called it a foodie flash mob. Well their hearts are in the right place, I think.

My sister hosts potlucks in the park every summer with her social network buddies this sounds exactly the same without some humanitarian spin on it. What is with the emphasis on home-grown, home-made or foraged food anyway. The apples for eggs swap in particular is baffling and foraged food really.
    Sapphire is awesome!

There's the same kind of disdain for hipsters, foodies, and yuppies. Too much disposable income, too much free time on their hands, looking for a problem to solve in the most meaningless and unsustainable way possible without the money and free time.

Don't get me wrong, I love farmer's markets and specialized food vendors. The best beef jerky I've ever had (and probably ever will have), I bought in Pike Place Market from a kid who couldn't possibly be older than 15.

But I happily paid him in cash for his excellent food. I would happily do so again, if I'm in the area or could remember the name of the farm.

I got his highly-peppered beef jerky, he got to buy whatever he needed with the money. No play-acting 18th century bazaar, just a simple transaction.

@Ani:
    Is there any difference between a yuppie and a hipster? It seems to me that Yuppie was just the random, nebulous derogatory term for that kind of person 20 years ago. Same age bracket, early-20s to mid-30s.