Page 147 of 159 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    I had commented on this last fall when it came up on Reddit, but basically the jist of this is this: cultural relativism.
    It's easy for us to look at an article like this and feel appalled, but think about it from a chinese man's perspective. To them, carrying on the bloodline is the most important thing. Couple this with the fact that each person can only have one child, and you can see why a man might feel cheated, when his chosen partner hid her genes from him.
    That would mean that partners are obliged to disclose their plastic surgery history to partners as a requirement of marriage, and that's not really something I agree with.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I had commented on this last fall when it came up on Reddit, but basically the jist of this is this: cultural relativism.
    It's easy for us to look at an article like this and feel appalled, but think about it from a chinese man's perspective. To them, carrying on the bloodline is the most important thing. Couple this with the fact that each person can only have one child, and you can see why a man might feel cheated, when his chosen partner hid her genes from him.
    That makes sense, and I did miss the culturally relative significance of such a lawsuit. I guess I was still banging my head against the desk from the Seau lawsuit news.

From what I've heard, it's not true that you can only have one child. I've been told (by a Chinese girl in China) each person can have one child, so each couple can have two. Regardless, like Buff said, it requires a level of disclosure that will make a mess of things for those looking to pair and have a family. There's a certain level of disclosure required between partners, and admitting to plastic surgery crosses that line. However I don't know if the Chinese rely on stare decisis in their rulings.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

It depends mostly on the region and metropolitan area.

Rural areas are allowed to petition for a second child, but only if the first is a daughter or disabled (mental or physical). Nice comparison there...

Shanghai actively encourages two children because they want to even out the age curve and prevent a work force shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    That would mean that partners are obliged to disclose their plastic surgery history to partners as a requirement of marriage, and that's not really something I agree with.
    Again, cultural relativism.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Again, cultural relativism.
    Do the Chinese rely on arranged marriages or marriages of convenience? If so, then I could see the need for full disclosure, as far as plastic surgery is concerned.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Do the Chinese rely on arranged marriages or marriages of convenience? If so, then I could see the need for full disclosure, as far as plastic surgery is concerned.
    It's pretty free as far as I know. Parents like to (secretly) invite you to meet with other family friends' children and stuff if they don't think you're being proactive enough about finding a mate, but I do not believe arranged marriages are the norm anymore.

This is talking about metropolitan areas. Rural areas and minority ethnic groups may have different cultures.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Regardless of the means, if the goal is to have a healthy, successful child to carry your name, then you might be pissed if he turns out to be born a hideous beast because the qualities you found suitable in your mate are all fake.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Regardless of the means, if the goal is to have a healthy, successful child to carry your name, then you might be pissed if he turns out to be born a hideous beast because the qualities you found suitable in your mate are all fake.
    True but we're talking about China here, and if you mean by "healthy and successful" that they are physically attractive. From what I've seen of your average Chinese in China, slim pickings if you're looking for even what we'd consider a 4 or 5. The only way to find 6 or 7s is to be rich and famous. The only 8s and above are surgically enhanced.

Pope Palpatine resigns.

I wonder if the next pope will look less like a sith lord but more importantly behave less like one and be a little less ultra conservative and a little more open-minded.

from what I understand, looks like Benedict is about to be the last [D]WEM as pope. Africa and south America have a greater population of Catholics than Europe does.
    I'd like to think that it just means that no one born in the west is both smart enough and crazy enough to believe in that shit. but probably not.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

I was fully expecting that he was resigning due to a scandal. Turns out it's just old age retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z View Post
    I'd like to think that it just means that no one born in the west is both smart enough and crazy enough to believe in that shit. but probably not.
    Its like I'm really on reddit!

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Lucus Arts Studios murdered by Disney. Along with it, the end of hopes for Star Wars 1313 and any Grim Fandango returns.

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

edit: corrected the link
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha Barles View Post
    Lucus Arts Studios murdered by Disney. Along with it, the end of hopes for Star Wars 1313 and any Grim Fandango returns.

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

edit: corrected the link
    I have always been under an impression Disney is a control freak, so I suspect future SW games aren't too moddable. Although on the other hand since it's all purely licensed stuff from now, perhaps the third party game studios could include a statement in the license agreement that they alone control any modding restrictions, with Disney having no say in it.

At least Disney hasn't so far put an end to Star Wars fanfilm making. Unless the mammoth is just so slow it hasn't yet got down to it.

As many have said around the internet when this story broke, the LucasArts you loved died a long time ago, and wasn't ever coming back.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed [2008/2010] was mediocre at best, I bet you didn't play Lucidity [2009] (nobody else did), Republic Commando [2006] never really went anywhere...Star Wars: Bounty Hunter [2002] shouldn't need to elaborate there, etc.

What was the last really great LucasArts game you played? Probably Jedi Academy in 2003, but that was actually Raven Software. KOTOR? All Bioware.

PodRacer was 1999, Rogue Squadron was 1998/2001. Last great non-Star Wars game? Grim Fandango.

I'll miss them too, but a lot of their greatest non-Star Wars games were Tim Schafer, and that's what DoubleFine is for. LucasArts wasn't the same after he and Larry Ahern both left around 2000.

I cant fucking believe Battlefront III was scrapped 97% of the way into production. Fucking idiots.

Explosion at Boston Marathon - NSFW

They're reporting that the city is being evacuated.

If you knew anyone in the race, you can check on their status here:

http://baa.org/individual.html

Bomb went off around 4 hours into the race (4:09 elapsed time). About 2:50 EST.