Page 146 of 159 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Shrug, his reasons for hating the prominent member of great bands are his own. I'm not too concerned with it. Like I said, the guy brought Courtney Love into the spotlight. Thanks a lot, Kurt.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Governor and Representative of the State Police just finished a press conference.

27 Dead, 1 additional at a separate crime scene.

20 are children under 11, very likely far younger.

Absolutely sickening and heartbreaking.

Worse, I am disgusted by the national and international press. Twenty young children are dead, and they are desperately seeking any and all information about the motherfucker who did this. They're throwing out random names, but admitting they're not really sure if that is who it is. The local press has been downplaying the ID of the shooter, focusing on the tragedy itself.

It can't just be a coincidence that days before a 20-something does this, another, similarly aged psychotic asshole goes and lights up a mall on the other side of the country, which in turn was months after another 20-something psychotic asshole shot in a theater full of people. Wearing what looked like body armor (turned out not to be), wearing what looked like body armor (turned out not to be), and there are already preliminary reports that this asshole was too.

They're psychotic, and they're after the attention. The solution to this is pretty straightforward: Stop reporting who the shooter is. Period. Media blackout on the identity, backed up by severe fines. Give them a number (Suspect #M23-002), release an age and gender (or better, include it in the number), and that's it.

It shouldn't be a media circus about the perpetrator. It should be about the victims.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 12-14-2012 at 04:37 PM.

What's very weird is that there is a similar attack in China today.

Thankfully, no one die from that attack. I don't know if it's a coincidence or some larger connection, but it's very suspicious that two people decide to attack elementary school on the same day.

Edit: I'm currently watching some reporter trying to interview a bunch of 5-6 year old in order to get their reactions, WTF is wrong with people.
    Last edited by Dark Dragon; Fri, 12-14-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Governor and Representative of the State Police just finished a press conference.

Worse, I am disgusted by the national and international press. Twenty young children are dead, and they are desperately seeking any and all information about the motherfucker who did this. They're throwing out random names, but admitting they're not really sure if that is who it is. The local press has been downplaying the ID of the shooter, focusing on the tragedy itself.

It can't just be a coincidence that days before a 20-something does this, another, similarly aged psychotic asshole goes and lights up a mall on the other side of the country, which in turn was months after another 20-something psychotic asshole shot in a theater full of people. Wearing what looked like body armor (turned out not to be), wearing what looked like body armor (turned out not to be), and there are already preliminary reports that this asshole was too.

They're psychotic, and they're after the attention. The solution to this is pretty straightforward: Stop reporting who the shooter is. Period. Media blackout on the identity, backed up by severe fines. Give them a number (Suspect #M23-002), release an age and gender (or better, include it in the number), and that's it.

It shouldn't be a media circus about the perpetrator. It should be about the victims.

It really amazes me that we live in a supposed civilized society filled with highly educated individuals, and yet this is not common practice.

The media throws their clumsy, half-retarded weight around, bumping into walls, and knocking over everything delicate in our country.

This just shows me that there are no coincidences. Its no coincidence they continue to over-expose these scum, and its no coincidence the rate at which these tragedies seem to occur only continues to rise.

I would say logically, the parties at fault aren't the media but education system for not picking up nutjobs in the first place, and the lax gun control we have in the country.

Pragmatically though, this country will never strip its citizens of all their guns and outlaw them, nor will there ever be enough money to care of each individual, so yeah I guess I would have to agree it would be for the best not to sensationalize these things. Although it is sad then that a nation cant even mourn its own tragedies.

The local channel made sure to note this was the worst school shooting in U.S. history, like it's some sort of contest. I think they were still wrong, since there were more victims at VT. News coverage in this country sucks.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    I would say logically, the parties at fault aren't the media but education system for not picking up nutjobs in the first place, and the lax gun control we have in the country.
    Social resentment can spawn from being in school like bullying even if it's something as simple as social interaction. Also, it is possible for psychosis to develop after secondary and post-secondary studies or from other factors outside of school like a bad home/family environment.

I'm not really familiar with school shootings at all, but do all the perpetrators really do it for the fame or infamy? What message are they trying to get across?

I think they're just doing it because they enjoy disrupting civil equilbrium by causing chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post

At first I agreed it is a good idea to ignore the killer and focus on the lives lost, but reading a CNN report on the killings left me wanting to know who to blame, who to hate for this horrible crime. I think I'm in the majority in wanting to know who the killer was instead of just thinking of a phantom unnamed killer and all those dead. It's not like it's a hurricane or tornado; it's a person who did this, and he must pay in order to restore order and sense to the world. It just doesn't feel right not knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by enkoujin View Post
    Social resentment can spawn from being in school like bullying even if it's something as simple as social interaction. Also, it is possible for psychosis to develop after secondary and post-secondary studies or from other factors outside of school like a bad home/family environment.

I'm not really familiar with school shootings at all, but do all the perpetrators really do it for the fame or infamy? What message are they trying to get across?

I think they're just doing it because they enjoy disrupting civil equilbrium by causing chaos.
    I'm not sure that this case had anything to do with fame. The first person shot is the mother of the shooter and then he turned on her class. The principal and other teachers got shot when they got in his way leaving the building. He tried to escape by car, but committed suicide when he was surrounded by SWATs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon View Post
    I'm not sure that this case had anything to do with fame. The first person shot is the mother of the shooter and then he turned on her class. The principal and other teachers got shot when they got in his way leaving the building. He tried to escape by car, but committed suicide when he was surrounded by SWATs.
    Where did you hear that? I read on CNN that he killed his mother, who was a teacher, but she did not teach at the school that he attacked.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Despite earlier reports that said she was a teacher, Nancy Lanza was not a teacher at the school where the killings took place, said Janet Vollmer, a kindergarten teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
    Last edited by Animeniax; Sat, 12-15-2012 at 01:22 AM.

I think it was an article from MSNBC that mentioned his mother was the teacher and he shot her class. I'm checking other articles now and they're saying that he shot her at home before going to the school.

I think in the rush to make a connection between all the events, news outlets tried to tie the mother to the school where the massacre occurred, but this has since been corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    At first I agreed it is a good idea to ignore the killer and focus on the lives lost, but reading a CNN report on the killings left me wanting to know who to blame, who to hate for this horrible crime. I think I'm in the majority in wanting to know who the killer was instead of just thinking of a phantom unnamed killer and all those dead. It's not like it's a hurricane or tornado; it's a person who did this, and he must pay in order to restore order and sense to the world. It just doesn't feel right not knowing.
    Well, CNN in particular was a great source, considering they named the wrong brother for hours and began terrorizing anyone who knew him, turning it into yet another case of, "I never expected he would do such a thing."

Complete fucking assholes as usual at that joke of an organization. To be fair, the national branch of NPR wasn't any better, nor was the AP.

The local CT channels never once ran with the tentative/prelmininary identity. They waited until the CT state police confirmed his identity.

The national and international outlets love to bill themselves as "The Press" ffs. They should start acting like it, and do some actual reporting of the facts and not be using dartboards and their Jump to Conclusion mats. Their ability to spread misinformation quickly has never been higher. Collectively, they need to become more responsible.

The point is, regardless of which news outlet you got the story from, I as a reader wanted to know who the scumbag was that did it.

Not that I'm defending CNN or any of the outlets, but it's a ratings game, and wild speculation and even the hint of information will garner viewers. Which proves my point, people want to know who did it and that he gets the punishment that's coming to him. So blanking out his identity and focusing just on the victims won't work. It's the same reason that innocent people sometimes hang for crimes. In our society, people want/need someone to blame and to take the punishment so that we can keep on living in safety and security, even if it's a false one.

The point is, regardless of which news outlet you got the story from, I as a reader wanted to know who the scumbag was that did it.

Not that I'm defending CNN or any of the outlets, but it's a ratings game, and wild speculation and even the hint of information will garner viewers. Which proves my point, people want to know who did it and that he gets the punishment that's coming to him. So blanking out his identity and focusing just on the victims won't work. It's the same reason that innocent people sometimes hang for crimes. In our society, people want/need someone to blame and to take the punishment so that we can keep on living in safety and security, even if it's a false one.
    The whole issue could be resolved if the media decided to wait 24-48 hours before releasing info on the perpetrator.

What the fuck is wrong with the US legal system? People and their frivolous bullshit, that's what.

Seau family sues NFL and Riddell (helmet maker) for Junior's death

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    What the fuck is wrong with the US legal system? People and their frivolous bullshit, that's what.

Seau family sues NFL and Riddell (helmet maker) for Junior's death
    It's not just the US.

Chinese Man Sues Wife For Being Ugly, Wins

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Oh shit that's awesome!!! The human race is doomed.

I've always felt that China's communist control of its people was a good thing, as the unfettered ambition of 1.3 billion people of such industry and cunning as the Chinese possess would hasten the world to its end.

Imagine if all the world advanced the way the U.S. did, but in a shorter amount of time. We're headed that way as China and India modernize. It will be a mess.

Oh shit that's awesome!!! The human race is doomed.

I've always felt that China's communist control of its people was a good thing, as the unfettered ambition of 1.3 billion people of such industry and cunning as the Chinese possess would hasten the world to its end.

Imagine if all the world advanced the way the U.S. did, but in a shorter amount of time. We're headed that way as China and India modernize. It will be a mess.
    I had commented on this last fall when it came up on Reddit, but basically the jist of this is this: cultural relativism.
    It's easy for us to look at an article like this and feel appalled, but think about it from a chinese man's perspective. To them, carrying on the bloodline is the most important thing. Couple this with the fact that each person can only have one child, and you can see why a man might feel cheated, when his chosen partner hid her genes from him.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07