Page 141 of 159 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    How's it feel huh Goldilocks? HOW'S IT FEEL?!? *rawr*
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    Hey man, moore's law, technological singularity, etc.
    Only the Chinese could afford it, but will their technology advance enough and would they do it? Who knows. The rest of us are too deep in debt to dream of colonizing other planets. So, it would then be truly the red planet, har har.

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    Hey man, moore's law, technological singularity, etc.
    And other things that don't exist.

Superpowers will be wiping eachother out for resources long before we have any capabilities of colonizing Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha Barles View Post
    How's it feel huh Goldilocks? HOW'S IT FEEL?!? *rawr*
    I get the feeling they really wanted to play up the boozehound aspect of the bear attack. Like they're so much like humans, they drank up all the beer. There was probably more food eaten than anything

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Only the Chinese could afford it, but will their technology advance enough and would they do it? Who knows. The rest of us are too deep in debt to dream of colonizing other planets. So, it would then be truly the red planet, har har.
    Maybe some rich oil barons or Richard Branson could also afford it, or at least to invest into it.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Maybe some rich oil barons or Richard Branson could also afford it, or at least to invest into it.
    Not happening. It would likely cost from tens or hundreds of billions at the very least to colonize the Moon (remember Mitt Romney trashing Gingrich in the debates). A project like colonizing Mars in this lifetime will have massive costs probably ranging in the trillions and would most certainly take a government to fund.

It will take over a decade to transport thousands of workers there, whilst also accounting for transporting years of resources so that the thousands of workers can survive while building the colony. Imagine building New York city from scratch on a planet 20-30 years away. Finally if the planet is habitable, it will likely take decades for a region to develop ecologically such that anyone wants to bother living there.

After all this effort, then you have to find a way to transport millions of civilians all this distance. In addition, you had better damned hope there are either fossil fuels on Mars or we've perfected the utilization of solar energy, otherwise people will have to live with medieval-age tier technology.

Unless there happens to be a gigantic shit-load of useful resources lying around on Mars, there's no reason to bother colonizing it rather than figuring out a way to reduce the population on earth leaving more resources and space per person.

The Asteroid mining project on the other hand, sounds fucking neat-o.

R.I.P Michael Clarke Duncan

Sad news, seemed like a really cool dude and i liked most of his work

"Always be yourself... unless you suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Penner View Post
    R.I.P Michael Clarke Duncan

Sad news, seemed like a really cool dude and i liked most of his work
    Yeah that was shocking, dude was only 54 and apparently in great shape. He's been in the hospital for 7 months since a heart attack. I don't know if that was widely known. Might be a genetic thing.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    That is absolutely shocking, and yet another wake up call. Make sure to take care of yourselves because even that may not be enough. RIP Micheal, I loved your work, even in the crappy movies.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Someone "with a Middle Eastern accent" called in a bomb threat at uni today, so they evacuated campus buildings and cancelled classes. The cynic in me says someone wasn't ready for an exam.

People are upset that the threat came in at 8:30am and said the bombs would go off in 90 minutes, so the uni waited until 9:50am to warn students and force them to evacuate.

Yea, had security all over campus here and seriously backed up traffic due to front gate checks.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Someone "with a Middle Eastern accent" called in a bomb threat at uni today, so they evacuated campus buildings and cancelled classes. The cynic in me says someone wasn't ready for an exam.
    /added to my list of emergency procedures.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus View Post
    Yea, had security all over campus here and seriously backed up traffic due to front gate checks.
    Weird, at first I thought maybe you moved to Texas, but it turns out 3 universities got bomb threats today, including one in Ohio and one in North Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    /added to my list of emergency procedures.
    Well it'd be a lot easier to get away with than what one guy tried a few years ago when he wanted his exam to be postponed. He parked a rented UHaul/mover truck outside a university building, similar to the one Timothy McVeigh used to blow up a building in Oklahoma. He got the exam postponed, but also prison.

Quote Originally Posted by lelouch View Post
    I'm rather skeptical of that article. Acetylcholine blockers can cause confusion and all the other stuff... but for it to be used to such magical effects as the article suggests raises my eyebrows.

Someone feel free to prove me wrong though. Go down and pick some up in your local pharmacy. It's under the section for stomach cramps.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 10-11-2012 at 06:12 AM.

I'm rather skeptical of that article. Acetylcholine blockers can cause confusion and all the other stuff... but for it to be used to such magical effects as the article suggests raises my eyebrows.

Someone feel free to prove me wrong though. Go down and pick some up in your local pharmacy. It's under the section for stomach cramps.
    No one can prove you wrong because you majored in pharmacology and are in medical school right now.

Isn't the Daily Mail generally regarded as a tabloid site with unsubstantiated reports and shoddy journalism?

Isn't the Daily Mail generally regarded as a tabloid site with unsubstantiated reports and shoddy journalism?
    As in it's intentional like The Onion? Or just.. honest but unreliable?

As in it's intentional like The Onion? Or just.. honest but unreliable?
    No, it just tries to take itself seriously as a news source but fails because it posts tabloid-worthy sensationalist material, maybe to get the scoop or just from a lack of journalistic integrity. The Onion rules.

There seems to be a growing fad for mock journalism on the internet these days. I've been finding more and more "shocking" articles that ultimately turn out to be completely made up. Though, what really pisses me off is there seems to be no point to it. Any sort of entertainment value derivable from the articles disappears immediately after discovering that it's fake, which is what makes the onion leagues apart from these impostors.

Case in point.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07