Page 138 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

I hope the world will enjoy escalating prices and buying oil at $5 a gallon.

it seems that Iran hardly sells to US and europe, and mostly sells to east europe and asia.

the prices will go up, of course, no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z View Post
    it seems that Iran hardly sells to US and europe, and mostly sells to east europe and asia.

the prices will go up, of course, no matter what happens.
    That is true. Also, the US has artificially low gas prices. England pays something close to $10 a gallon in American dollars. Many other countries pay a similar price for gasoline because it tends to be taxed heavier instead of heavily subsidized.

Dates are imported from Iran, but I suppose there are other sources for those as well. More expensive sources, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    That is true. Also, the US has artificially low gas prices. England pays something close to $10 a gallon in American dollars. Many other countries pay a similar price for gasoline because it tends to be taxed heavier instead of heavily subsidized.
    The US does not have artificially low priced gasoline. Everyone else and especially Europe have higher gasoline prices because they tax it so heavily. The Unites States does not subsidize gasoline. That's Nigeria and Indonesia. Russia, Canada, and Australia do not tax gasoline as heavily as Europe, and thus have similar (while still higher) prices than the US.

Taxing less is not a subsidy.

Ethanol is subsidized in the United States. Ethanol is by law, less than 10% of what comes out of a pump in the US. E85 (15% ethanol) will damage engines designed not to use it, which includes many cars still one the road in the US.

Why is ethanol subsidized? That's because of the mighty Corn Lobby. Farmers are paid to grow corn which is made into ethanol, and the price that corn sells at is subsidized to drive the price up. Under the guise that it is, "keeping farmers alive."

In any case, you cant tell me that threats to the straight of Hormuz which carries 20% of world wide daily oil flow wont jack up oil prices. In addition, any time tensions increase in the ME in general, OPEC raises oil prices anyway.

OPEC and all the speculators jack up prices at any opportunity. It's disgusting.

The only way to stop that is to force the person or firm "buying" the commodity to actually take possession of the barrels. Then watch how quick the shenanigans stop. It's ridiculous that a shipment of oil can be bought and sold 20 times before it reaches port. It's always going to end up at a refinery anyway. Everyone in the middle are just scumbags manipulating the prices for personal gain.

The other option is to make that pipe from Canada to the gulf. All that pure sweet crude just under foot in the 51st state.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    OPEC and all the speculators jack up prices at any opportunity. It's disgusting.

The only way to stop that is to force the person or firm "buying" the commodity to actually take possession of the barrels. Then watch how quick the shenanigans stop. It's ridiculous that a shipment of oil can be bought and sold 20 times before it reaches port. It's always going to end up at a refinery anyway. Everyone in the middle are just scumbags manipulating the prices for personal gain.

Yes, you are right I meant the ethanol. And the OPEC along with speculation schemes that drive prices up on oil (among other things).

Don't get me started on corn and soy...

Peace out earth, its just a question of whether itll be us or global warming that rapes you.

The next ice age will wipe the slate clean, scraping the earth clear of all man's taint.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

2012, 2012. Will it end with a bang or slowly esculate.....dun... dun...dunnnnn....
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

I expect an Israeli attack on iran in 2012.

iran-us-bases-2.jpg

Oh, and dont forget the 5th Fleet, with its aircraft carriers, destroyers and all other marine war machines.

Those damn I-ranians need a good bombin'!

Edit:

Interesting story I just came across http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...870,full.story
    Last edited by Assassin; Fri, 02-24-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    I expect an Israeli attack on iran in 2012.

iran-us-bases-2.jpg

Oh, and dont forget the 5th Fleet, with its aircraft carriers, destroyers and all other marine war machines.

Those damn I-ranians need a good bombin'!

Edit:

Interesting story I just came across http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...870,full.story
    Yea, I have heard about that report. There is all this drum beating in the press probably without good cause.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-hollywood.ars That seems like a lot of jail time. I agree that she should be punished if caught, but I know of violent offenders who get less time.

damn that sucks, ninjavideo was probably the best site i've seen to date. i always wondered what she looked like. Too bad it isn't a flattering picture. And i agree, this is ridiculous, but hollywood can afford multiple armies of lawyers to pursue their case. What she "stole" from the MPAA was less then the budget of a REALLY low budget movie. What a criminal.

Crimes dont get punished by the amount of "bad" things that are done but by the "importance" of the victim (and the amount they expend on lawyers).
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

Yea, I am sure that the MPAA tried to go for as much as they could get. I wonder how they expect her to pay off that restitution after coming out of prison. I doubt it will be easy for an ex-con to get a job that quickly that would allow her to pay that. Sometimes the legal system is baffling (I have had some run ins myself that were very strange).

They don't expect her to pay it. They just expect that others will think twice before doing something similar, in fear of landing with an unrealistic bill themselves. The example case is just a wasted human life.

Horray for democracy and justice!