17 48.57%
  • Wait for the burger

7 20.00%
  • Wait for the change

11 31.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethics of Torrenting

Ethics of Torrenting

Do you hit and run or do you stick around? If you know what I mean...

I hit and run occasionally, but thats pretty rare, like I just finished dling and gota major urge to play BF2/CSS. 80% of the time I stick around for about a week.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    such a strange way of asking that question...

Torrenting from my home connection (10/1), I generally seed public torrents to about 1.5-2.0, or however long they get to.

Private torrents, I generally seed for 1-3 weeks, or until the ratio climbs up to the 1.0+ neighborhood. On more competitive ratio sites, this is fairly difficult to do.

From ... faster places, I generally seed public to ~15.0+ and private to however far it goes before the torrent completely dies off (typically 2.0-3.0 on a good torrent).

If I'm particularly hurting for bandwidth and a torrent's eating what I need, I'll throttle it down or stop it altogether.

I used to be much more generous about my bandwidth, seeding until I needed space. But ultimately, on a private torrent going much above 1.0 is bad for the community, and on a reasonably large public swarm, well ... after 1.0ish I don't care anyway, I've got better uses for my upstream.

I used to hit & run, but because I took nearly 9 hours to download a file with my crappy 96k connection. When I migrated to 1024k I switched to direct downloads... my upload is crappy and Im never able to upload decently.

I try to seed to 2.0, and but since I hate uplaoding I also try to avoid torrents whenever possible.

always hit and run....though i tend to let my torrents run durign the nite so i dont have to deal with speed issues during normal activities. Most of the time the torrent will finish in a few hours, but it'll keep up'ing till i wake up 8-10 hours later.

I almost never care about seeding since most of the stuff i download comes from the eztv tracker, and by the time i have it downloaded theres like 20k seeders anyway. im not gonna waste my time seeding just to fulfill my patriotic duty. For torrents that have low seeders, i'll let it run, but if theres no peers, or i can't connect to any peers for whatever reason, i'll close it.

Too darn lazy to login, so just lurking in the shadows instead.
    In my case,
    1- Get the Torrent.
    2- Download the file(s).
    3- Once done, if it is a movie i leave utorrent On while watching and delete the torrent after its over, if a game/program/watever else, i just delete the torrent and install/run the thing i just downloaded.

That mean pretty much that i don't seed. Since for some reason, while uploading, even if it is just 10kb/s, i lag.. (internet browsing goes slower/ program take longer to run, etc..)
    ( my awesome internet connection: http://www.videotron.com/services/en...tiques-xtm.jsp )

And leaving my comp open during the night just to upload is out of the question, it is already overheating as it is.. i don't want it to melt.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    always hit and run....though i tend to let my torrents run durign the nite so i dont have to deal with speed issues during normal activities. Most of the time the torrent will finish in a few hours, but it'll keep up'ing till i wake up 8-10 hours later.
    I do the same thing as well when I know I won't be at home. If I know I'll be out, then I won't mind letting a torrent seed all day.

Usually I hit and run though...To the point when leaving it to seed doesn't even cross my mind.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Usually I try to achieve 1.3-1.5 ratio before removing the torrent, at Boxtorrents always around 1.5 to keep my recorded ratio there. Although, like Assassin, if it's a torrent with thousands upon thousands seeders, I just don't see the need and sometimes hit'n'run. Also, if I have lots of torrents waiting to be downloaded, I may end it sooner to get the next ones running.

My ISP really hates torrents, and I can't use but a fraction of the max speed for torrenting at any time (up or down, it's a symmetric connection), or the connection will become very unstable indeed, meaning a few seconds connection breaks every couple of minutes or so. This is the main reason why I don't pretty much ever stick around to seed to ratios of 10 and so.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    unless it's a relatively recent torrent that has way more seeders than leechers (like, a DB release a day afterwards, usually a thousand more seeds than leeches...) then I just cut and run. i figure nobody will have a problem getting the episode for quite some time.

Otherwise, I let my "ratio" run up to exactly 1, then cut it off. I DL'd it once, someone else DL'd it once from me, I think that's even.

Only exception to all of the above is where I see there are only a handful of seeders for a show that I really like. Then I'll seed anywhere up to a 10 or 12 to 1 ratio.

and, as for the elephant in the room, if torrenting is even ethical in the first place, I'll answer with a resounding: "i don't think it matters".

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

i pay for my private torrents so i don't feel like uploading. And if i download public torrents i almost always have a ratio of 1:2 when i'm done downloading so i close that too ...

public torrents i stop as soon as im done downloading, it usually reaches like 1:3 anyway
    Unless its some sort of rare thing im downloading, then i will seed for another 24 hours.

Private torrents i simply seed for 72 hours, if i can spare the space on my hdd, ill seed it for as long as i can spare it, otherwise its gone.
    -----------------

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    and, as for the elephant in the room, if torrenting is even ethical in the first place, I'll answer with a resounding: "i don't think it matters".
    Maybe "civics" would be the better term?

I don't really know the difference between the 3 poll options...
    It's a pretty horrible analogy.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

It took me 11 seconds to understand the analogy, you need to word it a little better.

I dont really use private torrents. So as for public torrents, half the time I hit and run and half the time I seed for about a day or 2.

Since I was the one who started the poll I should probably say about bit more.

Public trackers = always hit and run
    Private trackers = seed to 1:1

Quote Originally Posted by AssertnFailure
    I don't really know the difference between the 3 poll options...
    It's a pretty horrible analogy.
    Drive-through = order something but just drive off afterwards without even waiting for the food
    Wait for burger = wait for burger, but let them keep the change
    Wait for change = sit in the car with your juicy burger beside you, while waiting for $0.03 in change

Genin
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin

I almost never care about seeding since most of the stuff i download comes from the eztv tracker, and by the time i have it downloaded theres like 20k seeders anyway. im not gonna waste my time seeding just to fulfill my patriotic duty. For torrents that have low seeders, i'll let it run, but if theres no peers, or i can't connect to any peers for whatever reason, i'll close it.

Thats exactly what i do. I usu. get my stuff from places where my 30kb/s isn't going to make a dent in the overall upload rate and it would take forever to get to a respectable ratio (usu. due to the size of the files). If there are few seeders, I stick around. If i am the only seeder, I'll stay till theres another seeder at least.
    i saved a unicorn

I try to get to a 1=1 ratio for most video torrents, even when it's a bitch to upload 2gb of daria goodness. Manga is a diffrent subject, since it's almost always over crowded when it's out.

well, when worse comes to worst, i can always delete the statistics file and start over...

Unfortunately, at school we have a rotating weekly bandwidth limit, so I can't let upload run free. Home isn't any better, because if we upload too much in too short a time, the cable modem seems to shut off and needs to be reset.

It's more of a point of keeping on good terms with my respective service providers than being selfish.

I always wait til I have at least 1:1, but I usually have 1:1 by the time my download is finished, so I stop seeding when my UL speeds drop to like ver low 30kbps or something. By then I already have 1:7 or something.