View Poll Results: Will BoC have a lower rep than Animeniax one month from now?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • FO SHO

14 30.43%
  • NAW

32 69.57%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation System: Dramatics and Whining

I like the new system. Its much fairer. And I guess signing reps is kinda soliciting. But what about signing neg reps? I think that should be allowed, not so you can get revenge, but so over time if you stop getting neg reps from that same person, you know your improving in their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by God#2
    I like the new system. Its much fairer. And I guess signing reps is kinda soliciting. But what about signing neg reps? I think that should be allowed, not so you can get revenge, but so over time if you stop getting neg reps from that same person, you know your improving in their eyes.
    well i guess you could do that but in all honesty, who would wanna do that??! telling someone you gave them a negative rep just increases the likelihood of you getting a neg rep in return without any particular reason.

It shouldn't matter from whom you get the neg rep. As long as we are talking about valid neg reps and not commentless or stupid ones. Valid ones are kind of statistical: Some things irritate people, not the same people everytime, but a portion of people in a population. If you want to better yourself (or avoid neg rep), it doesn't matter if you know who those individuals are. It's enough to know the likes of them are there, and they don't like certain types of posts.

Cool. This is a much need change, with people with reps over 3000 already within a few months the system would have become somewhat useless. I welcome the new changes, I think that will keep things in check. Nice work complich8.

To those who were excited by the thought of a custom title within your hands, my heart goes out to you. Sorry, but that how things goes sometimes. It will be interesting to see how long it takes someone to reach the 2500 marker this time. But more importantly, i think that this make things more stable, maybe.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

I've never cared about rep so this overhaul doesn't really affect me.

For those of you that do care, enjoy.

I agree that this reform is definatly needed. I got about a few hundread points for my birthday, that alone sky rocketed my rep. Though I have to say I feel a little naked with out all those pretty squares.

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    On top of all this, I really found it pointless to rep good posts if the poster already had like 16 squares, now that it's starting over I feel better repping people who have a more realistic count instead of something ridiculous.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    On top of all this, I really found it pointless to rep good posts if the poster already had like 16 squares, now that it's starting over I feel better repping people who have a more realistic count instead of something ridiculous.
    Well now it's all realistic. The most squares anyone has is 5. This change is a lot better than the old system (not to say the old system sucked complich). Good work

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

Make that 6 squares. I totally miss my rep gained in two weeks, but if the old rep system went on for about another months time, if would have become pointless.Either everyone would be fully repped out, or totally new and rise to full rep within the week.

So close.....To all those who were able to get their custom titles.....I envy you.....
    Insert Salute here..............
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    words
    That was quite possibly the most roundabout way of saying "the rate of growth of influence is too high" I've ever seen.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AssertnFailure
    Pointed observation.
    Hah! pretty much. I just like people to know that there's a reason I think what I think.

I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't disappointed to see my rep go down so drastically. I know other people were having an easy time with reputation, but I had just gotten to "beyond reproach". Oh well.

I do love that you've outlawed signing reps. What I love more is that some of the people who were notorious for doing that are denouncing signing in this very thread. As memory serves I only signed one rep, and that was because I really liked that person's argument. I can't even remember to whom I gave that rep.

This new system is making me wish that I hadn't had so many periods of inactivity. If I had continued posting at my normal rate all the way since the time I started here I'd have a much higher post count than I currently do. I've never really cared about post count untill now.

Overall, I like the improvements. It's obvious that complich8 put a lot of time and thought into this.
    Last edited by samsonlonghair; Mon, 05-15-2006 at 05:21 AM.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    oh, for kicks, I've also increased the negative rep power factor from 1/2 to 3/4. I like the idea of the system having a positive bias, but I think negative hits need to have a bit more impact than they do.

Hmm... I wonder if that's good or not. There isn't such a thing as a flawed positive hit, but there certainly are flawed negative hits, if you know what I mean...

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Hmm... I wonder if that's good or not. There isn't such a thing as a flawed positive hit
    That's a pretty baseless assertion right there...

I'd argue that there have, in fact, been a lot of "flawed" positive hits. That is, hits that people don't deserve, for no good reason.

If you're going to call things like vendetta neg reps, random commentless negatives, etc "flawed" ... then positive hits meet the same criteria for flawedness -- pos-rep your buddies, pos-rep without commenting or without good commenting, pos-rep things that don't deserve it.

The system is still biased positive, and the hit counts show that the given hits are substantially more than 2 to 1 positive to negative (the actual number stands at 2821 positive, 1252 negative right now).

Sorry. I was just trying to make a joke, but I guess it was too lousy to really carry any message.

While I admit I didn't even consider "pos-repping your buddies" when I wrote the post, I just meant that no matter what kind of strange comment, a positive rep hit is always welcome. However, a negative rep without a comment or with a totally bizarre comment are rarely welcome.

Missing Nin
    Honestly while I do approve of the change limiting the rediculous growth or decline or rep as a whole I think atleast one more change should be made to the system.

I've certainly seen 1 rep change mine from 77 to -9 or the like and on top of that the rep in pretty much every case of negative rep has been given out for pointless reasons. A lot of people seem to think the rep system is a way of avoiding posting your opinion. In certain cases as I can only go by my rep remarks I've been negative reped multiple times for discussing a topic with nothing more then "stop arguing" as these are forums and discussion should be promoted instead of punished I think things like that are still out of hand even with the changes.

As such I think that a amendment should be made to the code that reduces if not eliminates peoples ability to give rep if they are giving a disproportinate amount of negative rep for any reason. Overall the aim of this system seems to be to have a positive effect on the forums and until there is something done about trolling I don't really see that as possible.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    looking at your history, you do indeed seem to be the consistent victim of rather stupid rep hits. I dunno, maybe it's just something about you?

Interestingly, nobody who's repped you has repped you more than once, in either direction.

And the drop in your score was probably a combination of all rep hits you've gotten becoming much, much smaller, and someone giving you a negative hit. You may have noticed that everyone else's reputation dropped at the same time you did. Also, the scores got recentered around zero, rather than +5, so you'd see additional loss there.

I don't see this problem as systematic -- the people who have given you negative rep have for the most part been generally positive, and your situation seems to be something of an exception. I would say, write it off as a fluke, ignore it, and get on with your life.

Ever since the overhaul I haven't gotten any new reps; before I got new ones at least every few days. Is this because of something wrong with my control panel, or is it just coincidental?
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Yeah. I have only received a few hits ever since. Generally speaking (personally I don't think I have made that many great posts worth repping after the overhaul) from my point of view I'm inclined to think it's because the hits don't matter so much anymore (as reaching the reward will take a long time indeed), and so there isn't as much initiative to rep. This would of course indicate as well that many people were truly aiming for the custom title as a reason to rep at all, or mostly.

However, that's probably a highly biased opinion. Maybe in truth it's just a coincidence, and partially due to the fact the forums seem to have been somewhat quiet of late.
    Last edited by Kraco; Fri, 05-19-2006 at 04:48 AM.