Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are some tangible benefits of getting married?

Quote Originally Posted by yallo
    Eh hopefully none of the information is wrong here.... any comments, Psyke? Since you are married and should know much more details than me...
    Hmm. I think you've pretty much got it covered. As far as I'm concerned, the benefits, intangible or other wise, don't really matter. Getting married and having offspring is all part and parcel in the journey of life. Sure you can give it a miss, but for me I believe that it's an important part of life itself, and that having children (no matter how much I dislike them some times), completes my life.

It's a different stage, but then again, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. It's how you want your life to live out, and what your want written on your epitaph. I recommend spending time getting your life mission statement worked out, if you haven't already.

But well, in Singapore, the government thinks really way ahead in population planning, and that it would almost be unbenificial not to get married.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Quote Originally Posted by KitKat
    dragonrage, I think the way you have phrased this question is vague. How are you defining tangible? Are you only looking for material benefits that you can physically see? If so, the only real benefits would be monetary as people have pointed out before. This is a fairly culture-dependent question, as different societies have different laws regarding marriage.

How is this off-topic? Your original question didn't specify heterosexual or homosexual marriage. Wouldn't this be the ideal debate to look at if you wanted to see what benefits being defined as 'married' gives a couple?

Well you're right I was pretty vague about the meaning. Tangible as in physical, legal, something physical (could be a legal right) that you don't already have when you're living together.

The discussion somewhat involved how today's society is different and well at one point in time it was said that marriage in this day and age is like a business partnership. A few other issues sparked the discussion and well it went from there.

@ Xan : Yes that situation is quite befitting of the discussion in a certain right. But as I have pointed out that the issues that same sex marriages face is equality. Legally speaking it is not recognized ( in most cases/ federally). And their fight is more about equality than benefits. The discussion was about the difference between being married and living together.

Anyways I consider the discussion over. I like many of you all believe that marriage should take place because you love someone. It is something that shows your commitment to the other person both emotionally, physically and mentally.....

well thats all from me...
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    aside from secks everyday... and not having to cook for yourself everyday...tangible... is happiness tangible? oh.. i have it, she can buy me anime

Actually.....something i'd have to look into more....but you can file for joint ownership of real-estate with a spouse, with one person spending more than 50% of their time on real-estate while the other dealing with another business or employment...then any passive liability from the real-estate end can become tax-writeoffs against he business/employment end.

This is of course, assuming that marriage plays a role in the ability to arrange such joint ownerships.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Also if you fall in love with someone from another country it will be easyer to get her to your own country if you are married.

Tangible benefits?

The gifts you get at the ceremony LOL

No, really, that's probably about it. So now you know, when/if you get married, to ask for worthwhile things....

Like, I don't know, a nice DVD player, or a Blu-ray player maybe, perhaps convince a few of your friends or family to get you a home theather or a quality stereo, a state-of-the-art computer....

Or if you're s realist, you can ask for all the crap you'll need for your married life. Dish-washer, washing machine, drier, cutlery, pots & pans, uh, spice rack, a hired maid... and the home theather again.

Just remember, don't ask for crap. You don't need a set of silver cake-knifes, nor do you need a Chinese vase from some dinasty or other. It's the only time you'll get to ask for things, don't waste it!

(if you divorce and remarry a number of times, you probably shouldn't expect many gifts, btw)

無理してここまでやってきて これからもすっと同じだろう
    それでも何かを信じたい 心の奥の声

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Dancer
    Tangible benefits?

The gifts you get at the ceremony LOL
    (Disclaimer: The value of the gifts probably won't compensate for all the wedding expenses, such as dining hall, caterer, suit, dress, wedding cake, diamond ring, honeymoon, etc.)
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Hehe well if you get married and have a Korean wedding, the guy's family has to buy a house for the newly weds and the wife's side has to buy the furniture. And the groom's family also has to fill a luggage with gifts (money, etc.) and give to the wife's side.

Something mildly relevant to the discussion.

Rent-a-Wife

Quote Originally Posted by AssertnFailure
    (Disclaimer: The value of the gifts probably won't compensate for all the wedding expenses, such as dining hall, caterer, suit, dress, wedding cake, diamond ring, honeymoon, etc.)
    No, you see, you hafta marry a latin american girl then. At least in those countries (Mexico and downwards), the newlyweds don't pay for their wedding - according to tradition, the bride's father does.

That way, you get the presents and don't spend a dime, since your girl's dad will pay for everything.

Except the rental tux and the ring. And you can do a wedding without those - just declare yourself hippie. Only you probably wont get many gifts if you do.

無理してここまでやってきて これからもすっと同じだろう
    それでも何かを信じたい 心の奥の声

Interesting article, from what it sounds like relationships heve been ending more and more as the stigma on divorce and pressure to stay married has waned. Why are more and more people living alone, probably because they can't find someone they can be happy with and aren't willing to accept staying in an unhappy marriage anymore.

I don't think its totally a case of people not wanting being able to find someone they are happy with or wanting to stay in an unhappy marriage. The latter is probably more of a valid argument but I find it an unreasonable proposition that suddenly men and women themselves have changed in past 3 decades and are less compatable with each other then for the last I don't know how many thousands of years.

I think its to do with what people expect in life now that has changed and is having a knock on effect. I think the best way to describe this is it being a case of individualism on a society wide scale. Any rules that governed relationships or defined the role of men and women in society are being either being thrown out completely. The individual, be it a man or a woman, is now encouraged to look out for him/herself over the needs of society more than before.