Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Wow, seriously? Does a show have to have a Disney ending for you to be happy? Did you not see episode 8 or episode 25? While it was certainly chock full of fun times and laughs Gurren Lagann wasn't the kind of show that came with kiddie gloves glued on. One of the central themes of the series was that bad things happen, even if you have the best intentions, but what matters most is that you persevere despite hardships and barriers and try to make the world a better place than it was before. I found that message to be one full of hope not despair and I find the final ep of GL rather uplifting overall.

Sure it's sad that things between Simon and Nia turned out the way they did but did Simon let that depress him? No. He knew that it was the natural consequence of what he did to save the universe and he made his peace with that like a man.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    You know that numbed, tired feeling you get after you come? I've got that in my eyes right now.

In short, THAT WAS SOME AWESOME SHIT!!

I read Archie's post on Nia before I started, so that lessened the impact of Nia's death on me, for better or worse, making it an overall happy ending. I really disliked Nina's character at the beginning, but my opinion turned the other direction soon enough. Yoko's still kick-ass to me.

Awesome as Kittan's death was, it was also kind of funny (at the very beginning of the episode). As soon he fell for her boobs-in-wonderwoman-bra, you knew he had it coming His death was also the scene I rewatched the most - the soundtrack/video probably did the job.

The last 2 days were the best "boring days" ever!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    Thing about Simon's spiral eye
    I think that's just him evolved/developed to a point where he has no need for a Core Drill to channel his Spiral Power. The two other people we've seen (Spiral King, Kittan) were able to use that power without Core Drills.

Don't think it's possible to evolve without sex? You've missed the plot of this show!!
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 02-12-2009 at 07:11 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Gurren Lagann is one of the best anime of 2007, and one of my favourite. The epicness is on par with FLCL. Probably because it's from the same company. If you can see past some of the totally illogical wacky stuff in the series. it's really good, pure epic awesomeness! It has a nice theme, great story, setting, awesome fights and humor. If you haven't seen, I recommend watching it. Especially if you like wacky series.

If you've seen it, I recommend FLCL. Probably my favourite anime. Epic, awesome, mindblowing 6 episode OVA. KAA has the best sub.

Hey look its a TTGL Movie =)

http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents...5D.mkv.torrent

not sure what its about maybe someone can edit my post or update and ill delete mine. back to lurking

edit: er wow very different ending =/
    Last edited by NeoBear; Thu, 04-23-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Favorite Gotwoot Mod moment: "Why is everyone in that show black? The art and music are pretty good, and the voice acting is alrite as well......but i can't stand that guy who follows afro around. Hes so, well, black, for the lack of a better term (well thats not true, there is a better term, but i wont use it here)" Assassin

i was raised by this woman =O
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JrR7hPT9Bs

Quote Originally Posted by NeoBear
    Hey look its a TTGL Movie =)

http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents...5D.mkv.torrent

not sure what its about maybe someone can edit my post or update and ill delete mine. back to lurking

edit: er wow very different ending =/
    It sure was. No complaints though, since they basically packed all the General fights together and made it a grander finish, rather than incremental developments. It works out well enough, since it looks like they'll be finishing up Lagann-hen at a later time.

The goodness was still preserved, and it was good to see some of our other characters overcoming Kamina's death like Simon did - In particular, Yoko. I think it's the first time she's been stripped of her bra? That scene was pretty WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    Wow, seriously? Does a show have to have a Disney ending for you to be happy?
    No, but since just about every single anime ever made feels the need to end on a "bittersweet" note, a Disney ending would be a pretty nice change of pace now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    I think it's the first time she's been stripped of her bra? That scene was pretty WIN.
    Maybe I need to watch the movie after all...

i thought that move was rather bad.

it was much more a summary than a real movie, and the "new" ending is only a result of all the rushing. And they dont even fight the king at the end, what kind of lacking end is that...

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    i thought that move was rather bad.

it was much more a summary than a real movie, and the "new" ending is only a result of all the rushing. And they dont even fight the king at the end, what kind of lacking end is that...
    I thought it was alright, mainly because I was expecting a summary more than anything. The new ending was necessary, I think. Trying to pack all the General fights together was one part of it. The other was that by having all 4 bad guys attack at once, it creates a big enough scale battle for it to be considered a "final boss" fight, something that none of them separately could have achieved. By doing that, they can save the Spiral King battle for the first hr and the Anti-Spirals for the 2nd hr in the next movie: Lagann Chapter.

Well, i actually thought they put the 4 generals in 1 fight so they have time for a final battle, that is against the king. thats why i was, negatively, surprised. Of course, that´ll leave an epic opening for the next movie.

*Downloading like The-Motherfucking-Fist-of-the-North-Star*

I watched Lagann-hen yesterday, it was chock full of nostalgia and win for me. There were some changes made to the narrative again but most of my favorite scenes from the second part of the show were still there in one form or another. If you thought the final battle in the show was epic the final battle in the movie had the epicness level turned up to around 15, however to gain that boost of epicness on the positive side they sacrificed some of the negative elements of the show by eliminating the events of episode 25.

All in all I would recommend this to any Gurren Lagann fan who wants to experience some of the awesomeness of the show in a compressed win package, however I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement for the series itself as a lot of the interpersonal experiences (other than Simon and Nia's) are diluted for the sake of the more epic battle scenes.

Blog Entries
    If anyone's interested i found a nice torrent by a good dvd riping group

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=to...nfo&tid=102005

I'm pretty sure that many of you also had something of a broken archive when it came to GL with all the DMCA letters that went around when it aired

If you haven't seen the show yet and you're downloading it for the first time. Do not read the description on that page. It contains a major spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik
    If you haven't seen the show yet and you're downloading it for the first time. Do not read the description on that page. It contains a major spoiler.
    LOL, that was so random. It wasn't even a description, kinda like

Note: spoilier for ya.

Haha, yeah. The area that it's in is called user description, so that's why I used that term.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik
    Haha, yeah. The area that it's in is called user description, so that's why I used that term.
    Ah, yeah. I guess I meant "it wasn't even in the description", as in the blurb. My wording sucks

while guren-hen was largely montage with a very nice triple general fight at the end lagann-hen is chock full of new animation. Most of the events after the moon are redone with even more absurdly awesome fight scenes. If any gurren lagann fans haven't seen lagann-hen yet i highly recomend you do so.