Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

The Japanese animation studio Gainax has opened the official website for the theatrical movie adaptation of the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann television series on Monday. The website has announced that the movie will open in Japan in Fall of 2008. Director Hiroyuki Imaishi (Dead Leaves, OVAL X OVER) and series script editor Kazuki Nakashima (Oh! Edo Rocket, Re: Cutie Honey) will both return from the original television series for the new film project. To mark the occasion, Gainax will host four separate events at this month's Tokyo International Anime Fair 2008.

The first event, March 29's "Haru Da! Drill da! Gurren Lagann Matsuri!! in TAF 2008" ("It's Spring! It's Drill! Gurren Lagann Festival!! in TAF 2008"), will feature the top six members of the voice cast. Tetsuya Kakihara (Simon), Katsuyuki Konishi (Kamina), Marina Inoue (Yoko), and other guests will then record an episode of the Radio Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann show at the Gainax booth that same day. Yukari Fukui (Nia) and Nobuyuki Hiyama (Viral) will then join those three cast members in a cast talk show at the Gainax booth on March 30. Finally, another cast talk show will be held at the Aniplex booth's stage on March 29.
    ANN

I really should watch those the last three episodes.
    .. rofl!!!! One of the theme's of Gurren on ANN is 'Burning Manly Passion'
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Any advice on which group to download this series from? Heard some good stuff about this series.

Missing Nin
    I've found order to be the best quality overall but they still haven't finished subbing it. Beyond that I downloaded the BSS-ANON release and have just been replacing them with order subs as they come out ever so slowly.

Do note this did get licensed by ADV but its one of the licenses in limbo after they had the internal issues with a Japanese investor so it might be pretty hard to find torrents for it period. Then again the series is awesome and its 100% worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Any advice on which group to download this series from? Heard some good stuff about this series.
    I got the first couple of episodes from Order-KAA... then the rest by Order until they stopped, then just find what you can.

Anyways, finally decided to watch the final 3 episodes... Man this was a great series, glad that I tried to push quite a few people into picking it up.

Sad about Nia, which caught me a bit off guard because once they were in space I thought she was going to sacrifice herself, and then seeing her in Earth I let my guard down, and then bang, she dies. But it was great that she managed to get married.

I always love when series go into "aftermath" mode, and give us a bit of perspective of what were the effects of what went one in the series, loved seeing the people grown up.

But one thing that no one here mentioned, which I think might be somewhat important is that Simon at the end had his left eye in a complete spiral (permanent I would think), somewhat like Lord Genome (how awesome of a character was he). Any of you got theories on why this was or why did it only occur with him (assuming)? Boota didn't grow up...

Last edited by Munsu; Thu, 04-10-2008 at 11:55 AM.

In my opinion, The drill or "Spiral" represent moving forward breaking through any obstacle. Moving forward also mean that they would need to adapt and change (The main ability of the Gurren) so staying with one hero would be contradictory. I think the complete spiral in Simon's eyes represent the fact that his role is done and now it is time for him to let someone else continue his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon
    In my opinion, The drill or "Spiral" represent moving forward breaking through any obstacle. Moving forward also mean that they would need to adapt and change (The main ability of the Gurren) so staying with one hero would be contradictory. I think the complete spiral in Simon's eyes represent the fact that his role is done and now it is time for him to let someone else continue his work.
    I thought that the ending of the anime supported this idea, especially when that kid didn't know who he was. So I agree.

Well the last post about this anime was in Aug 2007, but I finally watched this ENTIRE series.

HOLY CRAP. That's all I wanted to say. Holy ... Crap. I'd go into everything I liked and stuff, but that would take too long.

Any other anime people recommend that are good as this or somewhat close? I really enjoyed this series.
    Last edited by Kensee; Fri, 09-12-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Ah, I love animes that are so good all you can do is go HOLY CRAP!

DENNO COIL, Toward the Terra, Code Geass, Sousei no Aquarion, Soul Eater etc etc
    Last edited by Sapphire; Sat, 09-13-2008 at 04:01 PM.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

good times...
    I'm liking Birdy the mighty Decode a lot these days..

Blog Entries
    I was thinking about watching this.

Anyone has any info on it? It's not a sequel to anything is it?

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    I'm so going to be hated about what I'm going to write, but I'm doing it anyway (btw shouldn't this question go into the Anime recommendation thread?)

nope, it's not a sequel... but personally I didn't like the show, I expected a lot more from what I read here in the forum about it. but maybe my fault was that I took the plot to serious.

there were 2 fights which were really good, but the rest is what I would call "The rise of Awesomeness" or something like that

Basically it's about a few people (in the beginning) who get bigger and bigger machines to fight with.. it starts with a small robot which is as big as child. However later, it becomes bigger than planets and whole galaxies (and no, I'm not overstating this) and while it started with a few people in the beginning, the main character becomes something like the "king of the world" later.
    The whole series is really absurd (if you are honest) and you shouldn't expect so much sense behind the whole stuff... basically everything that is done - and is explained in the series - has to do with some "power" humanity has and the main character is one of the few persons who has mastered this "power"
    the art is also very exorbitant but it's fitting if you consider what this show is all about and it's really well done the way it is.

the strange thing about this is, that I liked the little story there is behind all this... the story of the final enemy (and the most important side-boss btw) is not bad, but the fight against him is really weird! ^^
    as I said, my mistake was that I took this stuff too serious. I expected something like..lets say Gundam but got something like Power Rangers.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Wed, 01-14-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33
    my mistake was that I took this stuff too serious. I expected something like..lets say Gundam but got something like Power Rangers.
    That sentence really sums up why you didn't enjoy the show.

This series is almost like a spiritual successor to all of the 80's super giant robot anime. I'm not really sure which comment you've read that has led you to believe that this is like Gundam but that is completely wrong.

If anything it has a lot more in common with something like G Gundam rather than a more "realistic" series like Gundam Seed.

But it really is a shame that you didn't enjoy the show since it's in my opinion the best anime of 2007.

Don't go into this show and expect anything serious, even some of the major fight are rather comedic in the way they are presented. Just sit back, try to turn off your brain and enjoy the overly dramatic reaction, hyper-adrenaline actions and ridiculous power-ups.

Yeah I have to agree with Dark Dragon, Gurren Lagann is all about surpassing the (supposedly) impossible and ignoring all logic when your heart tells you the illogical path is the right one. If you can't accept that oceans made of badassness are a viable solution to pretty much any problem then chances are you'll find this series ridiculous and probably unenjoyable. However, if you can accept it then you should be in for an awesome ride full of action, adventure, danger, loss, victory, defeat, glory, and even love. TTGL is also my pick for best anime of 2007 because after watching it I just felt so pumped up on awesome it seemed like anything was possible.

Be awaare though, the early episodes are somewhat muted in scale of awesome when compared to the rest but starting around ep 7 the show starts to snowball getting bigger and bigger until the climax.

Blog Entries
    Since u guys r being so helpfull whats the best subber for me to get the first episode from?

you don't really have much of a choice, since i think the only group that subbed it was Order until around episode 19 or so and then BSS-Anon finished up the series when Order stop subbing it.

This torrent has the series in DVD source, so it's probably your best bet at the moment:
    http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents...DVD%5D.torrent

Wow just finished this series(ya how the hell did i miss this series? -.-). Anyway this was seriously the most fun iv had in a long while with a mech anime(yes gundam you have been failing me for a while > ). That aside, I was kinda bummed at how a lot of the characters I liked ended up dead. Though, really the only real gripe I have with this series was how Yoko's character seemed to have decreasing importance as the series went on. Oh well, this series was good time.
    "Be sure to take this piece of $#!t(meant sheet)" - My dynamics professor(heavy japanese accent)

Sig and Avatar by Lucifus
    Current Games: League of Legends(Fuck, its got me hooked again -_-)

The only real gripe I had is that Simon and Yoko didn't get together after everything was settled. They weren't each other's primary choices, but considering everything they went through together, everybody they knew and lost, it's kind of sad both seemed to end up spending the rest of their lives alone with only memories. There's no doubt they would have been kickass parents and I'm sure they would have come to love each other after a fashion.

Blog Entries
    The ending fucking sucked balls -_-

I hate this bullshit endings where the MC doesn't get the girl, they're all bullshit

I was completely ok with it till the moment Nia died, then it just got depressing

Im gonna rewatch the whole series and delete the final ep