Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bleach 119

Bleach 119

http://yhbt.mine.nu/t/b119.torrent

Yes, it is out. Go get it!
    / No, you warrant no villain's exposition from me.

Hmm, I wasn't expecting them to stretch Ikkakku's back story to an entire episode. But it was interesting enough.

Some don't like this kind of episodes. For me it was great.
    Every aspect of Ikkaku's past was very well done. And even some surprises for some, like Renji looking up to Ikkaku, even when Renji became a Vice-Captain. Wonder how powerful is Yumichika as well. He did defeat Hisagi easily on the Rescue Arc.

LOL at the cadet telling Yachiru to go... I was hoping for her to scare the life out of the poor idiot.

Oh man. Totally new favorite character.

Even though his reason for hiding his bankai I had already guessed, I never would have guessed that he had been stronger than Renji for the entire series.

It's wierd because the first episode with Ikkaku in it just aired on Adult Swim. And it's so much more awsome watching it now that you know he could have defeated Ichigo at any time and just didn't.

Also, really looking forward to Kon's Erotic Adventures in Soul Society!

I'm always up for seeing more Kenpachi backstory. But they still haven't shown what the hell it is that Yachiru does, other than drawing Kenpachi slaughterfests with chalk.

My new favorite episode.

Like Yuki I wasn't expecting them to use the whole episode for a backstory, but in retrospect I have no complaints. This certainly revealed interesthing facts about Ikkaku as well as other characters, and you can't say this would have been a boring episode at any point! It's also interesting how Ikkaku basically is as old or nearly as old as Kenpachi, at least as a shinigami. We don't really know how long Zaraki idled outside of the order.

It also looks like Zaraki purposefully waited long enough for Yachiru to learn to walk and talk before he went and became a captain. I guess those are the minimum requirements for a vice-captain...

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar

Lunch Break

I have this ep on my flash drive... just waiting for another 15-20 minutes to watch!!! pretty excited... i think this and the next 5-6 episodes are going to be very good.

too many ppl looks down on yachiru, watch she end up killing Aizen or something.

That or killing Ikkaku so he can have his military funeral.

It is interesting that Ikkaku let Ichigo beat him. I also wouldn't have realised that Renji looked up to Ikkaku, since Ikkaku seemed only like a nut previously.

Still though, it leads me to wonder whether or not Yumichika has attained his Bankai. I suspect he has, as it usually isn't a trend in anime's to let a character stand idly by without shaking at the power of the fighters without being an awesome fighter himself. Plus he only ordered that containment field around the other Shinigami, not himself which could be due self confidence in his own abilities. Maybe all these fighters were sent to protect Toushiro!

Of course assuming that Yumichika has attained his Bankai, it only leaves Rangiku out of the current group without one. If we assume that each of these Arrancar are atleast as powerful as the one Ikkaku just took down, it would mean that she would need a Bankai to have a chance. Any takers on this?

Personally I can't wait to see the fight between Grimmjow and Ichigo. You know that's going to be hectic, with Rukia getting knocked out and all.

I found that episode strangely unsatisfactory. It was great to get a little history on Ikkaku and Kenpachi etc, but I found it to be a little too much talk. Or perhaps I just want to see some action.

Special thanks to Lucifus for this fine sig and avatar!

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

Talking i love my backstory episodes!

i was surprised enough when Ikkaku pulled out Bankai, but I was even more surprised that Renji was his student for so long. I was also shocked that none of the other Vice-Captains have achieved Bankai. I thought others would, but that was largely off of seeing that Renji and Ichigo could obtain it. I mean, I guess I just took it for granted that other Vice-Captains and strong seats would have Bankai...

I don't think Ikkaku let Ichigo beat him. He set the terms of the battle (no Bankai) and tried his hardest within them. Maybe limiting himself like that caused him to lose to Ichigo, but that's not the same in my book as letting him win.

I love backstory episodes, so I was completely satisfied to have just about the whole thing as a flashback. Also reminded me how complete a badass Kenpachi is.

Looks like Yumichika misjudged his friend. I still think that's weird. I guess Yumichika counted on Ikkaku not using his Bankai, otherwise I don't understand ordering the funeral... Yumi was also pretty cool in the flashbacks. The long hair and the flowered robe really fits his character, although I'd like for them to have gone more into the actual beginning of him and Ikkaku. They're probably leaving that for Yumichika's background episode... There's no doubt in my mind he's as strong (possibly stronger) than Ikkaku.

I really thought Ikkaku was going to bite the big one, especially since minor characters who suddenly get entire episodes dedicated to their backstory generally don't make it very long... But, is he out of the woods yet? Next episode preview made it look like it'll be Hitsugaya and Renji fighting... so Edoardo is dead? Like, all the way dead? I never trust a death until the head comes off or the fucker disintegrates.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnder
    Also, really looking forward to Kon's Erotic Adventures in Soul Society!
    Totally! I usually don't care for those end of episode things, but the whole prospect of Kon in Hanatarou's body, going around all pervy in Soul Society, ah man I wish they'd make an entire spin-off series for stuff like that...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Well, with almost being split in half, I bet he's dead... I think that's the importance of him saying that he was glad he asked for Ikkaku's name.

I enjoyed this episode.

To me, it seemed like they were building up to the death of Ikkaku, but then he didn't die, which was somewhat anti-climactic - although I am glad they kept him around since he's a good character.

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    I never trust a death until the head comes off or the fucker disintegrates.
    Or, if you're watching Gundam Seed, never.

I wouldn't have seen it as building up to the death of Ikkaku... If they wanted to do that, they would've incorporated the the flashbacks with the actual fight so that it would've had more impact. But dedicating one whole episode to a character who just exchanged a final blow with the opponent would seem kinda useless if they were going to kill him off. So, if you felt it was anti-clamatic, I think the show succeeded in fooling you with the added suspense.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    THat was a interesting EP, some back story here and there isn't bad at all. Like the others I was surprised that it took the entire EP but whatever it was good. 2 things bugged me though and I'm still trying to think on them.

1. They seem to already have their swords in the flashback before they joined the protection squads, which I guess makes sense, however what about the flashbacks about the other characters, they never had their swords. How does one really get their soul slayer? Does it just appear?

2. Does anyone find it weird how those two got into the protection squads? I mean we saw the school in the previous flashbacks but those two look like they just walked in, got black robes and joined a squad.
    image fail!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadfire
    2. Does anyone find it weird how those two got into the protection squads? I mean we saw the school in the previous flashbacks but those two look like they just walked in, got black robes and joined a squad.
    Sounds plausible. They were probably highly badass already when they walked in, unlike Renji or Rukia who were pretty much noobs and could do little else than form some reiatsu orb (weren't they playing with something like that in a flashback?).

After all, it's kind of hard to believe Zaraki would have first attended the school with all the younlings for a few years and then challenged the captain. If he walked it, killed a captain and thus became one, I don't see why those two couldn't have just walked in, kicked some instructors' collective asses to skip the school and joined the squad. I think the captains might be able to pick special cases straight from the academy, so it would also make sense Zaraki could have accepted those two in right away even officially.

@Deadfire:

1) My guess is that yeah, they just appear. Kind of like what happened to Ichigo when he became a Shinigami, but obviously less dramatic.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i hadn't noticed that. it does seem strange that Yumichika would just manifest a Zanpaktou before formally becoming a Shinigami. Ikkaku and Kenpachi, on the other hand, make a lot of sense. I feel that real warrior spirits like those two would naturally manifest weapons upon taking their spirit form.

Renji had no desire to fight until Rukia got adopted by the Kuchiki's. Even Rukia and Kira (Gin's vice) don't have that kind of bloodlust, love for battle, whatever you want to call it, that'd naturally summon the spirit of their Zanpaktou. Like I mentioned, the only one who it strikes me as weird as having a Zanpaktou prior to becoming a Shingami is Yumichika. But, who knows? Maybe he's secretly a sadist or something like that...

and it totally makes sense that if they can already manifest their Zanpaktous and (at least) one of them can stand toe to toe with a guy who just defeated a Captain, that they just get in after some kind of basic exam.

on that note, has the defeated 11th Squad Captain ever been mentioned? From the looks of the guys he left hanging around, he wasn't much to remember... I had thought Kenpachi killed him, but maybe that's not the case... Probably unimportant.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

My understanding is that you either are a Shinigami or you aren't... you can't become one, unless it's by borrowing someone else's reiatsu or you already have a latent Shinigami side inside of you. So that they went to Soul Society's school or not should be irrelevant for becoming a Shinigami.