Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What technical devices do you have on your person?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Laptop: Samsung Series 9 15" notebook
    http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/l...NP900X4C-A03US

Got this new not too long ago. Nice piece of gadget that means I don't have to fight with people for computer pods at university.

--------------------------------------------

Cell: Nokia N97
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n97-2615.php

The hardware list was pretty good.. but some little bugs made it rather frustrating to use occasionally. The main issue is that there is a ridiculous amount of free RAM on it after everything's booted so I keep running into errors when I browse websites with loads of pictures on it. It's not that fast, and the C: memory is also very small by default.

That said, it's built like a tank that lets me abuse it pretty well. Physical keyboards are still preferable (if weight and size is not considered) over touch input. Even tanks get dropped from service eventually though, and the physical slider on it is now broken, along with a loose silver rim.

Which leads to the real reason for my post...

Does anybody own a Samsung Galaxy S3? I'm pretty much deciding between that and the unreleased Sony bigshots (codenamed "Hayabusa" and "Mint") to be announced (hopefully) by the end of this month. Design-wise I like the Sony looks, but the Galaxy S3 doesn't seem to be plagued by any crippling problems. Furthermore I just learned that it has a very nice audio-chip (mostly for the non-US models), so I might actually start listening to music on the go again.

--------------------------------------------

Other: Watch

I also own a black G-shock and a stainless-steel analogue wristwatch. I interchange them depending on whether I feel like being sporty and chunky, or unobtrusive and smart. Too bad my future career comes with a heap of hygiene and handwashing procedures, so wristwatches won't be very practical.

USB stick: 16GB

I guess I carry one of those around infrequently too. I usually bring it only when I foresee a reasonable probability of needing it, since I'd hate to lose it when I grab stuff from my pocket.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    HP HDX 16 1050. Did a 256GB SSD+Win7 pro upgrade.
    iPhone4 with unlimited data plan.
    Bluetooth headset

The laptop is in my car or on my desk every working day.
    The iPhone and BT headset are on me at all times

I have lots of other devices, but I do not carry them around (flat screens, printers, nases, drives, usb drives, desktops, projectors, amps, etc...)

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Nothing. :/
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

I'm actually waiting to see how good the upcoming 'Samsung Galaxy Note 2' is, it supposedly has a 5.5-inch screen which is even bigger than the original Note (5.3?). With that size it's basically a mix of phone and tablet, or a "Phablet" (lol) as it's been called.

For the majority of people it's probably way too big for a phone, but i don't mind, i got pretty big hands, and since i'm mostly going to use it for surfing/texting/chatting/watching videos, i'd prefer the bigger screen, and i don't carry any sort of bag with me, so a normal sized tablet would be too much of a hassle to lug around.

Meh, we'll see what the specs are once it's officially announced sometime in Aug/Sept.

"Always be yourself... unless you suck."

All of my stuff is 4-5 years outdated, but they all work fine and suit my basic needs:

Notebook: Acer Aspire 5551

Mobile: BlackBerry Bold 9780 (unlimited local talking and texting)
    Smart Device: Apple iTouch Generation 3

Headphones: ATH-M50

Watch: Columbia Unisex CA008040 Urbaneer Black Analog Sports Watch

Other: 8 GB Kingston USB Stick

Every day, I carry only two devices:

One Camera-less Motorola z6cx World Edition, when the signal isn't shitty, the battery will last two weeks.

And my old Zune 80
    Which gets connected to via a $15 aux cable into my car, or the pair of Sennheiser PX-100s I keep in my desk at work.

I don't wear watches, that's what the cellphone is for.

Not really a technical device, but I've always got my Leatherman Wave, another multitool, or even a cheap folding knife within arms reach. Last week I dug a 3mm metal sliver out of my finger with one of them.

I got lots of other devices, but they don't leave the house.

I carry 2 everywhere i go.

My HTC Sensation and my Nexus 7.

That pretty much takes care of any needs i would have outside the house, so there no point to lug around my laptop anymore.

What I carry most of the time when leaving the house:
    Nokia C6-00 cell phone. Outdated, but on the other hand it does have a physical qwerty keyboard.
    A corded headset for the phone (for music) or a bluetooth one (when driving).
    Canon Ixus 70 camera.
    The same Photon led flashlight I mentioned years ago in this thread.
    Ancient Q&Q digital steel watch. I use to joke it's the first LCD watch in Finland... It gains a minute a month, or so.

Sometimes Kingston Ultimate G2 16GB usb3 stick (bloody fast).

Rarely Asus K53S laptop and Canon EOS 550D DSLR.

And yeah, of course the Leatherman as well, if it counts.

How much do you guys use the Leatherman in practice?

I've got something that looks like child's play compared to that sitting in my room. I generally use it to open the boxes that my figures come in. That's generally once every few months.

You guys are tempting me to get just for fun though.

How I use my Leatherman:
    - Open bags and boxes with the knives.
    - The pliers to bend wires and metal (using my fingers initially was how I got the 3mm metal sliver embedded in the first place, stupid of me), or to remove things stuck in other things (so...as pliers).
    - The screwdrivers are awesome because you never seem to have a real set nearby when you need it, and they work for the most part.
    - The scissors I use for trimming loose threads on clothing.
    - I used to use the serrated blade and scissors for occasional grooming, but then I got better stuff for that.
    - The file gets used on burrs, either on something I'm working on, or on my fingernails.
    - Bottle opener and can opener, self explanatory.

The saw I've used once or twice, the wire cutters only a little more often than that (the leatherman isn't insulated, so it's not the smartest to use for that). I used the ruler just once, because it is kinda useless.

If it had a nail-clipper, I'd get it in an instant. I've always wanted a macho nail-clipper in my pocket, and I don't use files.

I didn't even know wtf a "Leatherman" was from the name alone, i had to look it up and when i saw it i went 'aaahh, it's one of those things'.

And now i also want one, damnit :P

"Always be yourself... unless you suck."

I use mine (leatherman fuse) every now and then when I need to take apart electronics and household items.
    about once a month or so.

of course, there are times I use it more often, but it's mostly a relic from the army.

edit: other stuff...
    Samsung Galaxy S II, since last month.
    Asus Eee pc 1005ha. three years old, doesn't work very well, and I ruined it further by taking it apart a month ago. It sits in my room since the keyboard doesn't work well. I'll get something new when I start working regularly.

either:
    HTC desire S + headphones + my trusty knife(kinda blunt - i need to sharpen it :P)

or Uni vers:
    HTC desire S + headphones + Asus EEE 1215n+charger+NDS lite/PS Vita + 8gb pendrive.

whenever i need screwdrivers i have a set nearby.

i carry more weird shit in my car tbh.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

1. Currently using the LG Viewty Smart and it's charger* (old Samsung G600 died)
    2. iPod 5th gen 60GB BLK and it's charger* (since my 8GB PSP-2004 got stolen in summer '11)
    3. With the iPod, Philips SHL8800 Headphones
    4. Occasionally my Acer Apsire 5920G laptop
    5. With my laptop my 500GB Ext HDD
    6. Until recently my silver Sixaxis PS3 controller (for playing versus at a friend's but he acquired a second controller)

*I never go out without my backpack.

And I, too, carry around a Leatherman look-a-like in a pouch together with screw bits and a flashlight.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post

Does anybody own a Samsung Galaxy S3? I'm pretty much deciding between that and the unreleased Sony bigshots (codenamed "Hayabusa" and "Mint") to be announced (hopefully) by the end of this month. Design-wise I like the Sony looks, but the Galaxy S3 doesn't seem to be plagued by any crippling problems. Furthermore I just learned that it has a very nice audio-chip (mostly for the non-US models), so I might actually start listening to music on the go again.
    Yep, and no complaints so far. You won't be disappointed getting one but there's no harm in waiting a bit to see what's on offer from the major players for this new gen. Having said that, you can spend as long as you like waiting in this industry and there'll always be something new around the corner.
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Yep, and no complaints so far (regarding owning a Galaxy S3). You won't be disappointed getting one but there's no harm in waiting a bit to see what's on offer from the major players for this new gen. Having said that, you can spend as long as you like waiting in this industry and there'll always be something new around the corner.
    Updating one year later: Ended up getting myself a Galaxy S4 (Snapdragon version) in a UAG Aero case. It's a nice phone, but I'm fairly disappointed with the battery life. It'll give you 4hrs of screen usage before it dies (during the day). I haven't killed it yet because I don't use it for 4hrs/day like that, but it's a long-shot from the 12hrs of video and 7hrs of wifi-browsing that I've read on reviews. User-opinion seems varied. Some people are reporting 4hrs use, while a handful claim to make it through 8. I wonder if it's a firmware thing.

If 4hrs is all it could handle, then I would have been better off with a Nexus 4, which costs less than half as much. Hopefully things will improve somehow. I'm not sure if it's something that warrants an assessment by Samsung for a faulty unit, or if it's just something that's inherent to the phone. Oh well.

I... don't find that I'm being any more productive since I've had the phone, but it HAS been keeping me entertained these days. My anime backlog is finally moving along!

-------------------

Also, I carry around some Brainwavz M3 headphones. They've got good separation and clean output. When worn normally though, the little "wing" pokes into my ear and exerts pressure/pain after some time (1hr?), so I wear them in an over-the-ear fashion.