Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mooninites in Boston

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Both of you articulate your points in such regal and eloquent style that it reminds me of Petrarch. And kudos on the historical reference, SK, that has been much overlooked and not often cited in recent years to rationalize and shed light on anything and everything political. Kudos also to woofcat for his statistical research, which undoubtedly will use its crushing force of pure logic to overcome the unimportant and foolishly founded emotional baggage that has dictated the great majority of people's reactions and thoughts since that fateful day. Truly i am lucky to be in the company of such scholars.

But, on the topic at hand, I have some interesting/laugh inducing news articles about the actual event and subsequent aftermath.

The glorious and prestigious NY Post reports: Ratings up after "Toon-atics" for Adult Swim's maligned show
    "Marketing becomes terrorism by other means"
    and, for not a laugh but actual news Turner agrees to pay some of the $1million cost of "scare"

I think it's a smart move by Turner to step up and offer to pay some of the bill, but part of me is equally outraged by them giving in to these outrageous demands. If nothing they did was illegal (zoning for advertisements laws, not "was it meant to scare people?" tomfoolery dressed up in some kind of law), then they should buckle down and declare their right to free speech. Of course, nobody wants to walk the hard-line and oppose anything that any government official says which might be seen as "emboldening" the enemy, but, as woofie so eloquentley alluded to, that is one of the most distressing things about the War on Terror so far: if you restrict everyday life with all these laws and (largely irrational) fears, then Osama is probably smiling from his cave somewhere and saying, "good, good".

Defending something is fine. But if you have to lock it up so nobody can have it anymore or alter/"reinforce" it until it no longer resembles its original form or cut of its nose to save its face, you're not doing a very good job of defending, now are you?

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by woofcat
    Not to turn and derail this thread.

I was making the point that any "reaction" was pretty much a overreaction because the odds of something like that happening are well slim to say the least.
    The chance, even if slim, warrants this type of reaction to any threat, even if seemingly not one.

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    if you restrict everyday life with all these laws and (largely irrational) fears, then Osama is probably smiling from his cave somewhere and saying, "good, good".
    I always imagined more of a mr. burns style "excellent".

And SK: while i agree the even a slim chance warrants a reaction, i dont think it warrants this type of reaction.

Then again, the reaction itself wasn't out of the ordinary, the city just fucked it up majorly and let it get out of hand. The top priority of city officials should be to prevent panic in this type of situation, not cause more panic by letting people think they're about to be blown up.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    I just literally heard about this on the news. I can't believe they're being made to compensate for the ordeal just because Boston wants to save face. I honestly cannot believe it.

And they're still calling them "hoax devices". That's rich.

Anyway, here are some parody pictures I found, courtesy of the internets:
    Hoax Devices
    Decisions...
    http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6...1643687zw8.gif
    My favorite: Post 9-11s
    ytmnd fans should get this

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

That place over there........ahh never mind

It speaks for itself.

R.I.P Captain America.

Genin
    @ woofcat: That video says almost everything that needs to be said.

I think you guys are missing two very important points.
    1) Those things were up for several weeks before anyone said anything.
    2) Turner told Boston that they did it, but Boston didn't listen to them.

I mean WTF?! How much dumber can you get? Boston did not handle this appropriately and Turner should not have paid them a single farthing. I just can't believe that not 1 BPD has seen or even heard (from his/her children) of ATHF (numba 1 in da hood, G). Btw, if you haven't seen the interview you have to check it out here
    the sound is a little off so heres another

Funny quote about the new ATHF movie "they should put this as their slogan: '9 out of 10 cities get the joke'"

"that is not a hair question."
    i saved a unicorn

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Head of Cartoon Network resigns over terror scare

On Monday, US TV giant Turner Broadcasting, which owns Cartoon Network, and an advertising agency involved in the stunt agreed to pay Boston $2m (£1m) in compensation for the emergency response.

Half of the sum is meant to cover the cost of security operation, while the other $1m is a goodwill gesture.

The agreement resolved any potential civil or criminal claims against the two companies, but it is not clear whether charges against two men who allegedly placed the devices will also be dropped.
    $1 million as a "goodwill" gesture? I smell extortion...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Head of Cartoon Network resigns over terror scare

$1 million as a "goodwill" gesture? I smell extortion...
    this kinda of thing has been going on for a while in this country since the war on terror began but most people have been ignoring it till now. I just can't wait till the mandatory "education" we will all need to take before we can be called true americains.

I laughed my ass off when i heard about this. Believe it or not there was an actual debate on this at work. All i did was smile and listen. But the general feeling was that this was just stupidity at work and people are becoming too paranoid.

I get it terrorist attacks are real and is no joking matter "duh". But what really concerns me is that it actually took them a few weeks to notice this. It kinda makes me re think what they are really doing to "protect us". Imagine if this was an actual attack and that was their response time. Now that is scary.

Thinking about this makes me smile and cry a little inside, just what exactly is this country coming too.

edit: grammar
    Last edited by dragonrage; Sun, 02-11-2007 at 07:42 PM.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrage
    I laughed my ass off when i head about this. Believe it or not there was an actual debate on this at work. All i did was smile and listen. But the general feeling was that this was just stupidity at work and the people are becoming to paranoid.

I get it terrorist attacks are real and is no joking matter "duh". But what really concerns me is that it actually took them a few weeks these notice this. It kinda makes me re think what they are really doing to "protect us". Imagine if this was an actual attack and that was their response time. Now that is scary.

Thinking about this makes me smile and cry a little inside, just what exactly is this country coming too.
    A grizzly horrible end at the hand's of China and the middle east.

well the chinese are one of our bankers and the middle eastern countries are our major oil suppliers, so you could be right.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

I made this sad soul crushing realization at teh beging of the Iraq war. So yeah, USA is fucked.