Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hayate the Combat Butler!

It's not much of a fighting series. It's a parody and reference series. "Combat Butler" isn't really a misnomer, but you should expect a comedy series.

You can probably compare the combat aspect of it to ones in School Rumble. There are fights, but they shouldn't really be taken seriously.

This seemed like a good episode to me. Not bad, not great, but just good. It was certainly better than what I was expecting.

Is it just me or does Hayate look extremely similar to Laharl from Disgaea during that car chase? He had the red scarf that was somehow floating in the air by itself, the blue hair, and the evil eyes when he was on the car.

Jounin
    I enjoyed this first episode. Many laughs!

What I didnt like was for some reason the HD version was all buggy for me. My other HD episodes and shows play just fine in the 1280x768 format. Odd... I wonder if it's a encode error on the subbers side.

This seems like it'll be a pretty funny show, I noticed several referances to other shows and probably missed even more. From all the hype I've heard about the manga I don't think I'll be able to resist. Hope the show is as good of as anime as it is as a manga.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Did anyone else immediately notice that the voice of all that is awesome is the narrator?

I'm not normally one to notice voice actors, but ... the first time I heard the voice of Onsokumaru, I got a certain ... vibe from the series.

Jounin
    That "Vibe" is called "Love," Complich8.

Oh! He did the voice of Cell in DBZ and DBGT. No wonder you said "Awesomeness."

Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    Did anyone else immediately notice that the voice of all that is awesome is the narrator?
    That is exactly the reason I can't take the Emperor in Code Geass seriously. Every time he speaks I get this image of a yellow ball with underwear on it's head.

Perfect for this series though.

Quote Originally Posted by complich8

I'm not normally one to notice voice actors, but ... the first time I heard the voice of Onsokumaru, I got a certain ... vibe from the series.
    Of course, he's an awesome VA....

He did Amagumo in Sunabouzu and was great, actually for all we know Amagumo is the Narrator hehe, the way he does the Narrator is exactly the same.

Episode 2:
    http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/...5d.mkv.torrent
    http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/...5d.avi.torrent

About the episode:

What's the deal with Nagi's hair color changing to green in some scenes? There were some nice cameos in this episode, Jack from MÄR, Detective Conan, Black Lagoon, One Piece... anyone else find other cameos?
    Last edited by Munsu; Mon, 04-09-2007 at 12:40 PM.

no but the conversation between Maria and the Head butler is a reference to Gundam lol.

What was Nagi's mask and throwing cards into the yakuza's foreheads a reference to? I thought it was Sailor Moon for a while, but the cards didn't fit.

I also loved Maria telling Hayate the bath scene had all been a dream. Simple, sometimes overused, but still classic.

So, none of you know what's the deal with Nagi's hair color changing?

I just assumed it was the lighting. Where does this happen?

Yeah, I guess it's the lightling... but it's wierd on how green it looks.

I've never noticed the color change. I watched the 720p version.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    What was Nagi's mask and throwing cards into the yakuza's foreheads a reference to? I thought it was Sailor Moon for a while, but the cards didn't fit.
    Innocent Venus, maybe? One of the bad guys in that killed people with cards.

Episode 3
    Xivd: Clicky
    h264:Clicky

So apparently the angelic Maria has a wrathful side, heh, everyone in the house is afraid of her when she's angry. I'm also a little disappointed that Tama didn't turn out to be the narrator.

I didn't catch that many references in this one. The Metal Gear ones in the preview stood out, as well as the ***y ones. The only other one I was able to catch were the Lance of Longinus (from Evangelion) spearing Hayate while he was insulted by the head butler.

Anyone catch any others I missed?

nagi did the sailormoon pose in the beginning.

edit: ****za is Freeza from Dragonball.
    Last edited by Dark Dragon; Mon, 04-16-2007 at 09:17 PM.

I thought that one was from the last episode, but it looks like they just added it in during the recap, I guess I'll have to pay attention to those now.

actually here

just go to the google translate tool and punch in this website:

http://hw001.gate01.com/hayatenogotoku/neta.html

it contain possible reference in the manga by chapters, a lot of the lines is use in the anime and the story follow the manga pretty closely so far so just check the titles of the chapters.