Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To make a fansub

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would

To make a fansub

The other day when most people were enjoying their holiday meals and such, the dark abyss know as the “IRC channel” had a few things to think about. During the period of reflecting at what losers we were to be there that night. However during that period a thought was touched on and hammered into a plan.

We were to create a fansub group.

What we got so far is most positions of some staff and a possible project:

Distro - DO
    QC - Yukimura, Arcness, Nasphreak29
    Timer – Deadfire
    Editor – mage

If you guys think I’m sarcastic right now I’m not. This is a project they are willing to commit to. However currently we are missing a translator, encoder and a typesetter. If anyone is skilled in this or knows of anyone interested in this get on IRC and talk to DO (Dragonoutlaw) or myself. That or just pm me about it

The series we are thinking of doing is Devil May Cry. (We picked a realistic goal as well as one we would all like)

Suggestions, comments, and hell even insults would be nice
    Last edited by Deadfire; Wed, 12-27-2006 at 12:28 PM.
    image fail!

I always thought it'd be a great idea to create a fansub group that strictly does parodies. No foreign language skills needed!

As ridiculous as that sounds, I like it! Everything top-notch except translation.

I once did my own fan subs for an Ultraman series, but it was so tedious I stopped after 3 episodes. After that I only translated and did srt files which were much easier since I can forget about typesetting, karaoke, and hard coding. My Japanese's not that good, but you don't need to know much to understand a Tokusatsu series such as Kamen Rider or Ultraman.

As for this sub group, good luck and I'd love to see a parody :P

By the way is there a Devil May Cry anime coming out? I didn't know that, but it sounds awesome.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

We're not planning any parodies as of yet, that was all Bucket so we will need a translator.

Sounds interesting.
    Too bad I wouldn't fit the open positions. Gluck.

Why not try and do Gin-iro no Olynsis? It's probably not that good of an anime, but I think it still deserves a fansubber. No one is doing it as far as I can see, so you can probably build a good fanbase with it. Devil May Cry will probably be oversubbed and you'll probably find most of your time and work wasted.

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...anime&aid=4731

I don't really qualify for any of the positions, but someday I might want to learn. This is going to be a lot harder than scanlating is for the local group, so good luck.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadfire
    even insults would be nice
    Oh! Oh! I can do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadfire
    The other day when most people were enjoying their holiday meals and such, the dark abyss know as the “IRC channel” had a few things to think about. During the period of reflecting at what losers we were to be there that night (sentence fragment?). However during that period a thought was touched on and hammered into a plan.

If you guys think I’m sarcastic right now I’m not. This is a project they are willing to commit too. However currently we are missing a translator, encoder, and a typesetter. If anyone is skilled in this or knows of anyone interested in this get on IRC and talk to DO (Dragonoutlaw) or myself. That or just pm me about it.
    Better work on your grammar there before you start translating into English. Good thing Mage is doing the editing.

Seriously though, good luck. Sorry to say that, like xDarkMaster, I don't really qualify for any of the open positions.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

A GotWoot fansubbing group sounds like an awesome idea to me. I'd like to help but I wouldn't qualify for any of the positions you have open (maybe editing since I think all you need to do is look at a Notepad file and edit away but Mage has that covered). Best of luck though! If you guys do sub Devil May Cry, I'll be sure to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by xDarkMaster
    I don't really qualify for any of the positions, but someday I might want to learn. This is going to be a lot harder than scanlating is for the local group, so good luck.
    Scanslating does take up a lot of time. I used to edit for Serpents-Cross for the FMA manga. I can only imagine how much time fansubbing takes up. >_>
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

We're still looking for:

Distro
    Translator
    Typesetter

Updated positions so far:

Distro - DO
    QC - Yukimura, Arcness, Nasphreak29
    Timer – Deadfire
    Editor – mage, BoC
    Encoder – BoC

We are currently looking for Translators and Typesetters. If you can translate Japanese to English come into IRC #gotwoot and speak to any of us there. (Same goes for Typesetting)

"Chrono is our Religion. In the name of the Chrono, the Zeal, the Trigger and Cross, Amen."

Well i know a bit of everything except speaking japanese ^_^ Qualifications hmm... i can encode, do karoke subs (alot better for me in After Effects than in SSA.) PS im a Medusa fan and a substation alpha terrorist. For encoding wise i use vdub or mod (depends on the mood ^_^) and i use avisynth for my encoding enhancements. I can't turn vhs into gold, but silver is as close as i can get ^_^ Some other progs i can handle are Premiere and Photoshop
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." by Sir Winston Churchill"

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Zin
    Well i know a bit of everything except speaking japanese ^_^ Qualifications hmm... i can encode, do karoke subs (alot better for me in After Effects than in SSA.) PS im a Medusa fan and a substation alpha terrorist. For encoding wise i use vdub or mod (depends on the mood ^_^) and i use avisynth for my encoding enhancements. I can't turn vhs into gold, but silver is as close as i can get ^_^ Some other progs i can handle are Premiere and Photoshop

Awesome.

Come into our Rizon Channel #Proxy-Fansubs

EDIT!:
    ( Also feel free to come into #gotwoot on irc.gotwoot.net)

Gotwoot's channel is on its OWN server for those who dont know :P Not Rizon. Proxy-Fansubs is on rizon tho.
    Last edited by Arcn3ss; Wed, 12-27-2006 at 06:37 PM.

"Chrono is our Religion. In the name of the Chrono, the Zeal, the Trigger and Cross, Amen."

Get in the channel NOW.

#proxy-fansubs at Rizon.

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    i can... translate from english to spanish = D
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

can i help?? plz pretty plz with cheery on top!

Translators are always the hardest position to fill.
    I think we used to have yallo for that spot back in the revquest days.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

yallo was timer and editor.

I wish I could help out, but I can barely muster enough thought to speak one language.

If you need video editors, I can do that just fine. I know Final Cut pro very well, but I don't know what use you might have for that. I've never used any video software specifically to subtitle a whole show. I guess I could give it a try if you run short on manpower.

Here's a thought: If you can't find a translator, why not just volunteer your time to help AonE?

Edit: grammar
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco