Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bokurano

I totally thought Waku was the main character, wasn't expecting that. I guess this anime'll turn out to be a total tragedy.

Hmm...so whoever pilots the robot dies afterwards? So either the pilot wins and only he/she dies, or the pilot loses and the entire group dies.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    o
    m
    g

this is going to be my favorite of the new shows, i just know it.

Episode 2 and i feel like crying already. Fucking guy never saw it coming... Friggin perfect leader figure, typical fly-boy, take-on-all-comers, I work hard because my dad never gave me attention, first to die. Seriously, of all the one's to kill first, they take the one that, like animus pointed out, you'd expect to be the main character. Perfect sacrifice.

The thing with them all having chairs is very strange. It's from some school of psychology, that certain things in your life reflect who you are, though I can't remember where.

The animation for the mecha battles isn't great. In fact, the robots are jerky and the fights (so far) have been very simple. Rather than pay attention to thost flashy details, the animators seem to focus more on the chaos and destruction brought about by the fight. Not your typical shounen series at all.

What name is the genre of shows like this, Now & Then, Grave of the Fireflies? You know, the ones dealing with little kids in very adult situations? The most classic example I can think of is Lord of the Flies, where you have these children representing archetypes of human personalities. I love this kind, a very mature and 'thinking' kind of television.

Dung Beetle? Well, I like how they present the 'caretaker' of the machine. This character is very important, not because of its obviously very important logistical function, but because its character reflects many aspects of the show. On the surface, Dung Beetle looks cute, almost harmless, much like this show, a mecha about a group of rather innocent kids... But, underneath there's a very serious resolve. This isn't playing hero, it's risking, no, forfeiting your life in order to save the world. For Dung there is no BSing the mission. Also, his sense of humor is interesting. Normally the 'Help/CPU/Mechanic' characters are used for comedy or fanservice. Not here. Dung is funny, but it's a very dry, almost sardonic and cynical kind of humor.

I have no clue what to make of the Outsider character, that beach bum and his girlfriend. They don't fit into the story at all, not being connected with the plot in any special way, yet they've been in the first two episodes...

That is some fucked up shit that the little sister comes along even though the brother specifically reiterated that she be not a part of "the game"

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

This show deep. My love for it, it is like a truck. Big and runs on diesel.

I want flapjack now. I rule joo! Then kid die, sadness surrounds us. I always want pilot mech, but this one know way. Rather, let us acquire some beer on our way to the mall and get tore up (smoke while you do so!) and pass out in the hot hot sun.

Take two of these muchachos and call us in the morning. Yeah, call us, we'll be drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    Hmm...so whoever pilots the robot dies afterwards? So either the pilot wins and only he/she dies, or the pilot loses and the entire group dies.
    Well, we don't know if they actually die after winning. We only saw Waku losing consciousness, he could've simply died because of the fall, not because of being the pilot.. Still it's very plausible that they indeed die. We didn't see Kokopelli die, but he obviously disappeared. I really doubt he's dead, he'll probably play a bigger role later on, and I really wonder what is his objective, especially since he wanted to tell the kids he was sorry for putting them in this situation.

I too thought Waku might be the main character, but he became very annoying in the second episode and quickly discarded him and as we later learned he seems to have died. The two characters who I think can become the lead characters are Moji and Jun, if any of the characters become the lead that is.
    Last edited by Munsu; Mon, 04-30-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Episode 3 by Triad is out...

http://a.scarywater.net/triad/%5BTri...03.avi.torrent

Hopefully more of our questions will be answered here...

Man, just watching the funeral service reminded me of my Grandfather's funeral. I just couldn't help but tear a little listening to them, and watching them cry.

Well One important question was answered about Waku death. Waku died before hitting water.

"Life is hilariously cruel" by Bender

this show is like a sledgehammer to the heart. it does not pull anything, just straight up show's you how it would be. i don't think i've seen such a "realistic" anime in all my life (ok, Rescue Wings, but that's a special case)... The aftermath, the kids' reactions and plan, and then the funeral. I can't even tell you how many people I've seen die in anime, but I believe this was the clearest picture of a funeral that I've ever gotten. However, I do hope they don't go too much into the investigation and all that stuff. I'm much more interested in the kids, their families and their interactions.

When the mother was holding the picture of Waku and the father was droning on in that pathetic voice of his I really had to hold back from crying. There's an edge to this show that other 'fantastical' animes just can't bring to the table.

I really like Mogi and the frightened girl, but I'm already pretty sick of Ushiro's callousness and the Diet member's daughter's moral upstandingness. When that girl saw her chair in the living room and gave this little jump, I really liked that tiny detail.

I am having insane amount of trouble keeping the characters straight. I think I'll have to set up a little diagram in a while... The one guy who took Ushiro in and the de-facto leader Mogi are my two favorites right now, but all of the characters are good because they have very different personalities.

The look on Dung Beetle's face as he was rising up and the chairs started spinning... i think i'm going to have nightmares about that face...

Kid who wears glasses to look smart is up next, huh? Guess that answers my fear about the ED...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

What's that guy's name that introduced them to all this? It was some weird name, but I guess there's a high chance that he did die, since it was confirmed that Waku himself died not from drowning, not from the water impact, but as he ended his conversation with everyone on the Zearth. I guess that was why he was so incessant on the fact that he could only help them pilot it once, and once only.

Quote Originally Posted by animus
    What's that guy's name that introduced them to all this?
    "Ah...yes, uh... I'm... Kokopelli. Let's leave it at that."

Obviously he's something closer to GOD, at least the OP leads me to believe that might be the case. He certainly isn't any game developer...

And yes, Kokopelli's physical existence seems to have disappeared completely. He starts to apologize to them, but it cuts out before he can finish his words, the screen going to static, then black, and the next thing you know, the kids are on the beach.

This is notably different from when Waku dies, as the kids are still standing on top of Zearth and then Waku falls. The major difference is that there doesn't appear to be any physical remains for Kokopelli, while we clearly have Waku's body in episode 3. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that people don't seem to see Zearth during the first battle (that bum and his girlfriend aside, he seems to be special...), but only during the second...

The name Kokopelli is no coincidence. It's the name of an Anasazi (American Indian tribe) god.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Kokopelli is a fertility deity, usually depicted as a humpbacked flute player (often with a huge phallus and antenna-like protrusions on his head), who has been venerated by many Native American cultures in the Southwestern United States. Like most fertility deities, Kokopelli presides over both childbirth and agriculture. He is also a trickster god and represents the spirit of music.
    Notable among the many Kokopelli legends is that he was a child with an abnormally large head who was made into a clown to entertain the other children of his village, but a goddess had pity on him and gave Kokopelli the a magical flute that would bring joy and good harvest wherever he played it.

I'm not sure quite how the Kokopelli in this anime corresponds to the mythical one, but it surely points to the idea that Kokopelli is some kind of god playing some sort of grandious 'game' with all of humanity hanging in the balance.

by Triad ep4

MAJOR Spoiler Quote:

Dung beetle: This thing moves by using people's life force.
    So, you see...
    That pretty much means you are absolutely gonna to die after you battles.

And THAT is why i love the series.
    Last edited by Death13a; Fri, 05-11-2007 at 05:31 PM.

"Life is hilariously cruel" by Bender

I wonder why the enemy robot was trying not to damage the town... Very interesting part there...

Wow...
    NOW im excited for their next battle...knowing that whoever controls the robot will be dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    I wonder why the enemy robot was trying not to damage the town... Very interesting part there...
    Im sure now that there are children within the other robots. You know, within the little ball that has to be destroyed to finish off the robot. Makes kinda sense imo. Also, perhaps those children in the other robot knew that by not killing humans, their pilot will not have to die or something linke that.

Oh man, how i love this series. Exactly what i wanted when i read about it before itīs start.

Great episode, and I was totally wanting that kid to die. Glad he did. Also, does the intro song creep anyone else out?

The intro song is awesome. It sounds very "surreal" which accurately portrays the show.

Quote Originally Posted by animus
    Great episode, and I was totally wanting that kid to die. Glad he did. Also, does the intro song creep anyone else out?
    Hey, i loved that kid :P

Though disappointing that he freaked out about after seeing his dad dead. Would have been better if he reacted like "People have to die, and heīs been chosen to die."

Well, he was a kid, after all, it seems ^^

i really started hating Kodama in this episode. It was shocking that I didn't feel bad for him when he was a wreck and about to die... Little bastard...

[02:01] <Yukimura> it didn't really grab me, since the robot fight was so slow and lethargic, but I've heard it's got good story elements and isn't about the robot fights as much
    [02:01] <Yukimura> but i'm nto following it
    [02:01] <masamuneehs> yeah, it's not about the fights at all

Wow M, that's an absolutely great theory. All of the enemies so far have had a "cockpit" like weakness, a command center that had to be destroyed, no matter what kind of robot it was. Zearth looks to be the Earth's combat mech, which is good because it seems to kick some extreme ass. Also, each of the opponents seem to have different "personalities", ways of fighting. Whatever was piloting the enemy in this episode was clearly aware that other living things were around it, and it tried (initially) to not harm them...

what doesn't make sense by that theory is why they always fight on Earth, in the same town no less? That kind of home field (dis)advantage seems to be weird if the fighters are all coming from different planets. I think this theory is on the right track though.

Also somewhat supported by this line, From the preview for episode 5:

Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beetle
    Seeing them panic is how I get my kicks. No matter who shows up, what can the Earth monkeys really do? Next time on Bokurano: Weakness. After all, they're all going to die anyway.
    This has got to be one of the coldest, straight up most stoic and stone cold lines I've ever heard. The voice of Dung Beetle is absolutely perfect, I was shocked how casually he told the kids "that pretty much means you're absolutely going to die after your battles". This series is so freakin promising.

i happen to love the OP song. Fits and sets the mood perfectly, and it's a pretty cool song. The ED one fits, strangely enough, because at the end of an episode I always feel pretty sad, and that little lullaby- or whatever it is- that gets to me

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    Im sure now that there are children within the other robots. You know, within the little ball that has to be destroyed to finish off the robot. Makes kinda sense imo.
    Omg, reading your theory literally sent chills down my spine. How absolutely horrible if it turns out to be true!!!

It struck me as very strange that apparently nothing like this (i.e. fights between huge robots) has happened before. It seems as if this entire saga started from the point where Kokopelli made all the kids sign up for his game. Which makes it extremely unlikely that those are evil alien robots coming here to destroy Earth. I mean, which enemy would be so kind to conveniently wait until we have recruited our soldiers before launching their first attack?

Everything points to all these being truly just a game thought up by Kokopelli. Aaarrrgghhh I'd absolutely hate it though, if MFauli's theory is right, because that's simply too cruel.