Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible upcoming Contests planning thread

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would

Possible upcoming Contests planning thread

Well I've been thinking again and may as well give you all a thread for giving the staff some ideas and such for contests. What I'm thinking right now is

1. A sig/wallpaper/fanart contest of some sorts. possibly around the theme of winter and/or holidays

2. A bigger contest much like my now defunct "GW survivor" contest

Rewards for these contests should be thought of as well, making sure they parallel with the work that has to go into winning them.

I do have a few thoughts of my own for these two but I'm shut up and let you guys give me ideas before I go off.
    image fail!

I say you guys host a small contest. Make the reward the choice between colored name or custom title.

It’s a lovely idea from DeadFire. I love contests. Lets make one happen.

Can we stretch one far enough to match the end of Naruto Fillers ( just wishful thinking)?

Sig/Wallpaper/Fanart contest :

I have been here on Gotwoot long enough and in my time, I have seen a few sig/wallpaper/fanart contests. They weren’t anything special. I don’t know why that was. Maybe people didn’t take that much interest in them or the contest didn’t involve people from outside sig making community. There are only one or two good sig makers on gotwoot. Ok, maybe there are more than two but not many. What I am saying is that a sig contest would be only catering to a few people. The gap in the level of skills is very big.

You need to come up with a better idea or a completely different theme.

Here goes nothing……….

1st Suggestion :

I don’t have anything against sig makers but I want to see a contest where the contestants who have never made a sig in their life would take part. Yes, a newbie sig contest. This way all the contestants would be on the same level of Photoshop. The hard thing would be to find people who would be willing to participate. I am sure we can find people wouldn’t miss a fun opportunity like this.

2nd Suggestion :

The ugliest looking sig :

If you still want to go with professional sig makers then change the normal rules. Yes, I/we have seen what people can do with lovely renders but lets see if they can make something that is the most horrible thing to look at.

2. A bigger contest much like my now defunct "GW survivor" contest

?????????????????????????

No ideas as of now but I will post one as soon as something pops in my head.

Rewards :

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    I say you guys host a small contest. Make the reward the choice between colored name or custom title.
    That’s good enough.

But I want to see some punishments in there as well for the loser/s. What can I say I am cruel?

<Insert DeadFire’ disclaimer here( you know the one I am talking about).>

P.S Kudos to BOC fro making a sig composition guide. I have been meaning to thank him for a while now. I guess I will do it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadugar
    2nd Suggestion :

If you still want to go with professional sig makers then change the normal rules. Yes, I/we have seen what people can do with lovely renders but lets see if they can make something that is the most horrible thing to look at.
    XanBcoo already won that contest...

But yeah, in general level there could be some credit to the idea of smaller contests. Maybe people, both organizers and the contestants, can get weary of events spanning half a year. Although it may feel unfair to give grand prizes for a few hours of work. And like Jad said, a simple sig contest prize would almost automatically go to one of the relative few people pushing out quality sigs all the time. It could be a bit rigged.

Personally I think contests that are open to as many people as possible are the best, like Jad said. Something that requires imagination but only low-moderate skills of any kind are absolutely necessary. And since this is an anime forum, I tend to think it would be best the contests had something to do with anime. We all know KitKat would win the baking contest, so far-fetched themes like that are biased.

2nd Suggestion :

I already won that, and it's worse than Xanbcoo's, if you know what I mean

Click here if you don't...

P.S Kudos to BOC fro making a sig composition guide. I have been meaning to thank him for a while now. I guess I will do it here.
    Thanks. Glad to know there are people that appreciate the work. I might write up Section 4 tonight if everything goes well (school work ).

I personally liked the signature contest where two people would be making a sig for someone to actually use. Back then we did it for people who had the ugliest sig but technically we could've done it for anyone if they volunteered. And then that person would vote for the better sig and he/she gets to keep it while the winning sig-maker moves onto the next round. The reward can be a custom title or something.
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

Hey WTF mate? Nobody made sigs for me back in the day.

This is my really crappy idea, but what about... dare i say trivia of some sort?

Fire up an irc bot and load it up with anime trivia questions. Who ever has the most points at the end of the week/month/year/whatever wins something.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    I agree with Jad and Kraco here as well, contests that are open to as many people as possible are the best. With a sig contest the members that can do it is some what limited. As well if something was to be given to them because they have PS skills, I may as well give prizes for other skills that others have.

Now

Quote Originally Posted by NarutoMaster
    I personally liked the signature contest where two people would be making a sig for someone to actually use. Back then we did it for people who had the ugliest sig but technically we could've done it for anyone if they volunteered. And then that person would vote for the better sig and he/she gets to keep it while the winning sig-maker moves onto the next round. The reward can be a custom title or something.
    Gotwoot Makeover, I remember that as well (as I was one of those that had a really bad sig, in those days) it was challenging because not only did the person that the sig was made for have to pick the theme, but they got to pick the better one.Like the above example though most likely those skilled in PS will win.

How about this. We do the sig contest on a 3 tier system, Beginner, Experienced, Expert. That way anyone can pick their skill level and be facing those that are at the same skill level. We can have a sign-up thread made so people can see if a person needs to be in a different tier or not. For the contest something like 3-4 rounds with a poll to see the winner. Each round however gives points for the places a member gets. Something like 5 points for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd, and after the 3-4 rounds we tally the points and compare it. It's possible that the overall winner is one that in any of the tiers with the most points.

Each round would have a theme made before hand however not revealed to those playing (as they could start on the sigs before hand before others and come out on top because they had more time to work on it) however taken out of a pool of suggested themes.

Prizes can be custom titles for those who win at their tiers and custom color for that person that is the overall winner. (I'm going to be looking into the possibly of having a bigger sig and/or bigger avatar, I can't make any promises but it's a idea)

As for the bigger contest Woofcat is on the right track as well as Kraco it has to be something simply everyone can have a equal footing on. Trivia is one option (As much as I like to use IRC, some may not or will not use a client for this, so not exactly equal)
    image fail!

That place over there........ahh never mind
    Sig contests are getting pretty boring. I say go with something everyone can participate in and not just have it revolve around sig making.

R.I.P Captain America.

I'm personally not in favor of a sig contest.

I agree that a sig/wallpaper contest is old hat. It both caters to a particular audience and has been done many different times under many different guises. I second the idea of some sort of trivia contest. I do like the idea of a contest that speaks to many more members of GW and not just a few...

What kind of contest will fit this bill? Triva...maybe. Sig/Wallpaper...hardly. I will have to think about this for a while and see if I/we can come up with something new. I do like the idea of a holiday theme; though I think that it may be rushed seeing how Christmas is being shoved down our necks with all the holiday commercials telling us NOT TO WAIT ONLY 'X' MORE DAYS OF SHOPPING LEFT!!! <--tangent.
    Anyhoot, I hope this happens and look forward to seeing the 'new' ideas.
    Currently watching: One Piece, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Death Note, Suzumiya Haruhi,
    The 12 Kingdoms, and Soukou no Strain (kinda)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#blood-scanlations~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personally, I like the sig/wallpaper idea.

In the theme of fanart, we could also have a contest to create new banners for the site (the ones we have are getting stale), a new logo, etc.

As for the idea of trivia, I like it. However, let's face it, it's impossible to give everyone equal footing. I know for a fact that the number and types of animes seen by people here are extremley varied.

Last edited by Thi3f; Wed, 01-09-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thi3f
    I want an MSPaint contest.
    I want to expand that idea, We could make a contest thread where you give and topic or a general Idea or a template to use and people will have to create an image using MSPaint based off of that idea. Example: you give a basic T-Shirt Template and have the user take that and expand upon it in any way to make say a Naruto, Bleach, or other t-sirt on that template.

That is just an example of a contest idea, But instead of making it just one winner you can make it a voting type where you set it with different categories to vote on. i.e. Funniest, most creative, Best artwork, ext.

-Spiegel

@Spiegel: I like! What if it was a GW t-shirt making contest or something? Mods could provide a theme (i.e. Naruto, Bleach, Haruhi, etc.,) and the contestants could try and make a funny/serious/whatever t-shirt that are judged by either votes or a panel of judges that break down winner(s) based on different criteria.
    Currently watching: One Piece, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Death Note, Suzumiya Haruhi,

That really is no different than a regular wallpaper contest...you just need to crop it out into the form of a shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by xDarkMaster
    That really is no different than a regular wallpaper contest...you just need to crop it out into the form of a shirt.
    Not necessarily. Good T-shirts don't abide by the same rules as making a wallpaper. You could make a simple/clean shirt design with MSpaint and you'd be good to go. You could (as a wallpaper or sig artist) use the skills you've developed to make a good shirt, but you could over do it and make something lame in the public's eye. I still like his idea...

Quote Originally Posted by xDarkMaster
    The difference is you cant just crop pictures onto it, You are supposed to use MSPaint or your own art to make a T-Shirt that has a phrase or quote or something to make it funny or fun. Not just making elaborate ripoffs of someone elses renders or images.

Last edited by Thi3f; Wed, 01-09-2019 at 04:57 PM.