* Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    * Gigabyte GA-945P-S3
    * Scythe Ninja 1100P
    * Kingston 2048mb kit PC5300 (667mhz)
    * Sapphire X1950XTX
    * Western Digital WD740ADFD Raptor
    * Hiper HPU-4K580 Type-R Modular 580W
    * Antec P180

including other parts, of course, that are irrelevant to this discussion.

All hooked up, all power cables checked, so I power it on. I hear the POST, whirring of the drives, etc. But no video.

I throw in a new video card just to test it. Still, no video. I put my own graphics card into another working machine. Gets video fine, so that's not the problem. At this stage I was thinking it may be a problem with the PCI express slot itself.

I took off the heatsink and removed the CPU. I noticed that one of the receiving pins in the socket is squashed - I didn't notice this before I put the CPU on initially, but I have to admit I wasn't looking for it at the time.

One thing I never tested was one RAM chip at a time. It seems to me, within my somewhat limited knowledge, that there's something wrong with this motherboard, whether it's the squashed CPU socket pin or not. If anyone could come up with other suggestions I'd appreciate it. At this stage I'll be returning the motherboard tomorrow.
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

Apraxhren
    It is usually one of those little things that gets overlooked.

• The easiest way to tell what is wrong is the motherboard error codes, in your case a sequence of beeps. The manual will have an index (page 71 if I'm not mistaken) of what each code means.
    • Also you will want to make sure everything is seated correctly alot of times just removing and reseating the RAM and video card will correct problems.
    • Make sure the CMOS jumper is not set to clear.
    • Most motherboards now a days won't continue if a fan is not connected to CPU_FAN.
    • Have the RAM aligned in either Channel 1&3 or 2&4.
    If the motherboard is not dead you should get some results out of that unless either the CPU or RAM are broken/defective. The squashed CPU pin sounds like a problem but what exactly do you mean by squashed? Is it broken off? bent? If it is damaged that is almost certainly the problem there. Hope some part of this helps with your problem. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Apraxhren
    • The easiest way to tell what is wrong is the motherboard error codes, in your case a sequence of beeps. The manual will have an index (page 71 if I'm not mistaken) of what each code means.
    • I haven't even hooked up the PC speaker come to think of it, that probably could be a good idea. *slaps forhead*
    • Also you will want to make sure everything is seated correctly alot of times just removing and reseating the RAM and video card will correct problems.
    Yeah, did this a few times for virtually everything during extensive testing of components.
  4. Make sure the CMOS jumper is not set to clear.
I haven't actually got a jumper at all for the CMOS - I can never remember if that's bad or not.
  • Most motherboards now a days won't continue if a fan is not connected to CPU_FAN.
  • Really? That I didn't know. My heatsink doesn't need a fan at all, so that connection is empty. Excellent point, thanks.
  • Have the RAM aligned in either Channel 1&3 or 2&4.
  • Yep, definitely.

If the motherboard is not dead you should get some results out of that unless either the CPU or RAM are broken/defective. The squashed CPU pin sounds like a problem but what exactly do you mean by squashed? Is it broken off? bent? If it is damaged that is almost certainly the problem there. Hope some part of this helps with your problem. Good luck.
    The pin seems to be bent inwards, like something has fallen on top of it and it's been crushed. If you have your index finger pointing straight up in the air, then completely roll it down into your fist, that's what the pin looks like. Weird explanation, but that's really how it is.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll have another go before taking it back.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

So basically one of the contacts on the CPU isn't even touching the pin? I've never worked with a Socket T motherboard so I can't say if that pin is intentionally bent at the start or not. I'm guessing it's a defect though. However, I'm very surprised you got the POST "sound" with a defective socket.

I think you should post this problem on some more forums, like Anandtech and Sharky. If I'm not mistaken this is a pretty popular motherboard for Conroe users so there's bound to be a lot of discussion related to this board.

BTW nice system. And back in the day I thought my overclocked Winchester kicked ass... Oh how times change

Apraxhren
    Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    So basically one of the contacts on the CPU isn't even touching the pin? I've never worked with a Socket T motherboard so I can't say if that pin is intentionally bent at the start or not.
    That is what I was wondering, haven't had the chance to play will all the new stuff yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    I haven't actually got a jumper at all for the CMOS - I can never remember if that's bad or not.
    Yea it seems yours is of the 2 pin variety instead of I was thinking of the 3pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Really? That I didn't know. My heatsink doesn't need a fan at all, so that connection is empty. Excellent point, thanks.
    Ah, again it seems I am living in the past, I would bet if your CPU comes default as fanless then the motherboard that supports it wouldn't have that enabled. I guess I have to keep updated with all the fancy stuff. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance, hope you get it figured out!

Thanks for the advice guys. In the end I returned the board, got an exchange and it works fine, so obviously there was a defect somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    BTW nice system. And back in the day I thought my overclocked Winchester kicked ass... Oh how times change
    Thanks, yeah. I'm fairly happy with it, it's been about 5 years since I've had a high-end system. My old one is an AMD 1700+, sheesh!